3DS System Transfer Information (Read before Posting!)

#201SketchiePosted 5/12/2014 8:50:57 AMmessage detail
BigReed posted...
Sketchie posted...
This is probably a dumb question, but I just want to make sure.

Can you transfer system data (well, pretty much everything) from a 3DS to a 2DS (and vice versa) regardless if they're the XL versions or not?

Yep. The 2DS is a part of the 3DS family.

That's what I thought. Thank you!
---
Hey, now, don't hit me even though I'm now a ? Block starting from 11/14/2012...
#202ceekypiPosted 5/17/2014 10:52:25 PMmessage detail
Hi Everyone,

I looked through this topic for this information, but please forgive me if this is has been covered already. There are so many pages.

Some background: I bought a used 3DS XL that came with a number of virtual console titles on it (I guess the original owner didn't perform a system transfer) and I've recently picked up a Yoshi edition. I performed a system transfer from the old to the new system and am using the original SD card but copied the contents onto the new SD card that currently resides in the old system.

My question is this: I want to sell the old system but keep the virtual console titles on it like when I bought it. Is there a way to do this or has the system transfer dashed all hope? I can see the files in the file structure on the computer but can't access them through the 3DS. Any ideas?

Also, say I can't figure it out but I sell the 3DS to someone who can figure it out, can they access any of my personal data?

Sorry, that's a lot of info. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
#203BigReed(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2014 8:36:02 AMmessage detail
ceekypi posted...
Hi Everyone,

I looked through this topic for this information, but please forgive me if this is has been covered already. There are so many pages.

Some background: I bought a used 3DS XL that came with a number of virtual console titles on it (I guess the original owner didn't perform a system transfer) and I've recently picked up a Yoshi edition. I performed a system transfer from the old to the new system and am using the original SD card but copied the contents onto the new SD card that currently resides in the old system.

My question is this: I want to sell the old system but keep the virtual console titles on it like when I bought it. Is there a way to do this or has the system transfer dashed all hope? I can see the files in the file structure on the computer but can't access them through the 3DS. Any ideas?

Also, say I can't figure it out but I sell the 3DS to someone who can figure it out, can they access any of my personal data?

Sorry, that's a lot of info. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

The system transfer is permanent. So, since the previous owner left the content on there, you were able to claim it on your new 3ds by transferring everything over the the Yoshi edition. Doing this completely wiped the old 3ds, so you can no longer access the content that was previously on it.
---
Latest Review: Borderlands 2 (Vita)
http://www.gamefaqs.com/VITA/727975-borderlands-2/reviews/review-158029
#204ashrobbPosted 5/21/2014 6:05:33 AMmessage detail
Hi guys, I have one doubt about the transfer process. On the step 20

20.Tap "Delete" to confirm deletion of all Nintendo 3DS data on the target system's SD Card. Tap the blue “Delete” button to begin the transfer.
•If "Do Not Delete" is selected, the Target system will request to perform the transfer without deleting the Nintendo 3DS data on the SD Card. Tap "Yes" to begin the transfer.

If I select "Do not delete" on target system, can I later merge the data of both SD cards in that console? In my case, I have a standard 3DS with all my stuff and I'm planning to buy the 3DS XL bundle of Mario & Luigi that comes preinstalled. If I do this, do I have to redownload the Mario & Luigi or it can be combined in one SD card with the old data? I'm mostly asking this because my ISP suck, and if I have to redownload, it will be a long nightmare. Thanks in advance.
---
Home is where your chargers are~
#205BigReed(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2014 7:07:04 AMmessage detail
ashrobb posted...

20.Tap "Delete" to confirm deletion of all Nintendo 3DS data on the target system's SD Card. Tap the blue “Delete” button to begin the transfer.
•If "Do Not Delete" is selected, the Target system will request to perform the transfer without deleting the Nintendo 3DS data on the SD Card. Tap "Yes" to begin the transfer.

If I select "Do not delete" on target system, can I later merge the data of both SD cards in that console? In my case, I have a standard 3DS with all my stuff and I'm planning to buy the 3DS XL bundle of Mario & Luigi that comes preinstalled. If I do this, do I have to redownload the Mario & Luigi or it can be combined in one SD card with the old data? I'm mostly asking this because my ISP suck, and if I have to redownload, it will be a long nightmare. Thanks in advance.

What you'll probably have to do is redownload the game. The eshops will merge at least, so you won't lose it. However, in your case, since your internet is slow, I would probably suggest going somewhere with public wifi. I've actually downloaded Persona 4 Golden in public, and it didn't take very long.

Good luck!
---
Latest Review: Borderlands 2 (Vita)
http://www.gamefaqs.com/VITA/727975-borderlands-2/reviews/review-158029
#206ashrobbPosted 5/22/2014 8:56:05 AMmessage detail
BigReed posted...
ashrobb posted...

What you'll probably have to do is redownload the game. The eshops will merge at least, so you won't lose it. However, in your case, since your internet is slow, I would probably suggest going somewhere with public wifi. I've actually downloaded Persona 4 Golden in public, and it didn't take very long.

Good luck!

Most likely :( haha thanks.
---
#207VenomscarnagePosted 6/4/2014 9:02:33 PMmessage detail
This ais a great example as to why Nintendo should just let everyone have a username and use cloud saving. Would make this much less of a hassle.

Guess this means I no longer have access to any of the old 3DS games I bought on my old 3DS that I was hoping I could access on my new XL
---
I remember a time when whether you owned a Sega Genesis or a Super Nintendo everyone was a gamer and we all just got along.
#208SummerBluesPosted 6/9/2014 4:40:09 PMmessage detail
Quick question:

Is it possible to transfer games to a system that already has games? Will the games/data in the target system would be deleted?
#209NintendoDudeGuyPosted 6/11/2014 6:52:37 PMmessage detail(edited)
SummerBlues posted...
Quick question:

Is it possible to transfer games to a system that already has games? Will the games/data in the target system would be deleted?

If the target system has a NNID: it and the games on the target are deleted.

If not: I'm not 100% sure... are the games kept?

They really should fuse the games in both cases, but apparently they do not. :|
---
"Please... never do anything as crazy as that again...."
"...I'll think about it."
#210ashrobbPosted 6/12/2014 7:19:54 AMmessage detail
SummerBlues posted...
Quick question:

As far as I know, the eShops will merge and you can redownload the games, but the data itself will be lost. When doing a System Transfer I think is mandatory the use of the old SD card to preserve those data, but it can't merge with those files on the receiving system SD card.
---