3DS System Transfer Information (Read before Posting!)

#41Mr_Golden_SunPosted 8/16/2012 10:50:37 AMmessage detail
I got a question. Since I am likely to be trading in the old 3DS at Gamestop (inb4lolgamestop), I was wondering if I can do it this way, to save me as well as them some time......

1) Back up my games and all that on a computer.
2) Delete the games on the 3DS.
3) When I go to the store, do the system transfer.

The idea is to save time so I am not hanging around the store for too long. In this scenario, the games are backed up on my computer, and my records for downloading them will be transferred along with my Ambassador status, so this should work, right?
---
Commentating with Michael Cole is like arguing with an idiot; they bring you down to their level and then beat you.
#42BigReed(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2012 10:59:32 AMmessage detail
Mr_Golden_Sun posted...
I got a question. Since I am likely to be trading in the old 3DS at Gamestop (inb4lolgamestop), I was wondering if I can do it this way, to save me as well as them some time......

The idea is to save time so I am not hanging around the store for too long. In this scenario, the games are backed up on my computer, and my records for downloading them will be transferred along with my Ambassador status, so this should work, right?

Pretty sure you can't back up to a computer. You need both 3ds systems, and a wifi connection.
---
U.S. Army Airborne Veteran
#43Mr_Golden_SunPosted 8/16/2012 11:40:38 AMmessage detail(edited)
BigReed posted...
Mr_Golden_Sun posted...

Pretty sure you can't back up to a computer. You need both 3ds systems, and a wifi connection.

I know that, and I will still do the transfer as normal at the store, with the two 3DS's and the wifi connection. The difference is merely the amount of games being transferred, just to save time.

And the backing up part is only so I don't have to redownload individually.
---
Commentating with Michael Cole is like arguing with an idiot; they bring you down to their level and then beat you.
#44RaisinBizzlePosted 8/16/2012 2:38:58 PMmessage detail
So even if I can do the transfer at gamestop, I still need to copy the sd card data, meaning I have to take home the sd card from my original ds in order to transfer the sd card info on a computer, is that right?
---
Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.
#45Mr_Golden_SunPosted 8/16/2012 3:59:08 PMmessage detail
RaisinBizzle posted...
So even if I can do the transfer at gamestop, I still need to copy the sd card data, meaning I have to take home the sd card from my original ds in order to transfer the sd card info on a computer, is that right?

Not necessarily. My idea is to save time, so I am not hanging out at Gamestop any longer than I have to. The TC perfectly illustrates how to do the transfer in the opening post.
---
#46BigReed(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2012 5:12:40 PMmessage detail
Nintendo is pretty strict with how they control their devices. Especially when it comes to downloadable content and online features.

I'm just happy I can transfer everything to my new XL this sunday.
---
U.S. Army Airborne Veteran
#47ryeuPosted 8/17/2012 5:47:31 PMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#48-LusterSoldier-Posted 8/18/2012 1:57:56 AMmessage detail
I had a friend of mine transfer all of his DSiWare games to my 3DS, thinking that he could give me all of his games while keeping a copy of the DSiWare games on his DSi XL system. Well, that was really bad of my friend to do, because he didn't realize that he transferred the licenses to use those games over to my 3DS system and the DSiWare games were no longer on his DSi XL system.

I wonder if there is a way of transferring DSiWare games to a 3DS XL without transferring any other games to the 3DS XL. My idea is to remove the SD Card from my 3DS so I don't lose any of my 3DS games in the transfer. Then I do a transfer from my 3DS to my friend's 3DS XL (when he gets it) so he can get his DSiWare games back. Will this actually work without losing the licenses to play my downloaded 3DS games on my 3DS system? Because even if the downloaded 3DS games still remain on my SD Card, I could very well lose the licenses to play those games on my 3DS system.
---
Luster Soldier --- ~Shield Bearer~ | ~Data Analyst~
Popular at school, but not as cool as SuperNiceDog, Guru Champ!
#49stop3Posted 8/19/2012 11:09:18 AMmessage detail
BigReed posted...
karr80p posted...
22.Remove the SD Card from the source system as it will now be used in the target system.

Does this mean that if I transfer from a 3DS to a 3DSXL that I will have to use the 2GB sd card from the 3DS in the 3DSXL instead of the 4GB one that comes with it?

You have to transfer the memory card stuff over to the new memory card yourself. It's really easy to do if you have a computer.

The instructions imply that you have to insert the old SD card into the new 3DS before transferring the data from one SD card to another. But is that really necessary? I plan on using an 8GB SD card from my camera in my new 3DS XL. Do I have to insert my old 2GB SD card into the new 3DS XL before I transfer the information from the old SD card to the new SD card?
#50NinjaGamer_23Posted 8/19/2012 1:14:24 PMmessage detail
This transfer guide really helped me put my data onto my 3ds XL. Thank you Topic creator for this guide.