3DS XL - Yellow tint on top screen

#71DarrentgPosted 7/30/2012 6:28:19 PM
zeplin1180 posted...
http://zomgplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/3DS_XL_unboxed-12.jpg

while the look of white is different on both screens, i tend to think that the white on the reg 3DS looks more like the "cool" color setting you see as an option on the more modern LCD TV's. the white on the XL, on the other hand, looks to me like it might be more close to what white is suppose to look like (using the picture another poster provided above... which i think is the best representation of what these 2 systems/screens look like in real life). i think people seem to think the white looks more "white" on the reg 3DS's screen because in a direct comparison that "cool" tint look makes it seem a bit on the "brighter-ish" side.

try this little test/experiment...

go to image posted above and cover up the reg 3DS's screen with your hand or something else so you can only see the top/white screen of the XL. now ask yourself how far off from white the XL's screen really is when viewing it by itself?

then do the same thing, but opposite. when you have the XL's screen covered up, you should also compare the white on the reg 3DS's screen with the white parts of your CPU screen. you can actually, for example, use the white background this website/gamefaqs uses. when i do that using my eyes/CPU screen, the white on the reg 3DS's screen does look "cool" or rather bluish is color compared to what i would say is a more normal white (as seen in the background of gamefaqs OR even in the background on the Google search home page).

try it and see what you think?? i very well could just be seeing things? however i do have quite a bit of experience with these things seeing as how i've worked as a person who sets up home theaters. also keep in mind that i do recognize that some 3DS's/XL's might have screens that are more yellowish in tint than others... even machines during the manufacturing process cannot replicate exactly 100% each and every single unit, one after the other indefinitely. i just hope that when i get my XL, it doesn't have this problem to the extreme like in some of the pics seen earlier in this topic?!?!

I did comparisons between my launch black 3DS and my Zelda Edition 3DS against 2 HDTVs, and the launch unit perfectly matched neutral(even moreso with "clear white" option on Bravia enabled). Changing to cool 1 and especially 2, was a VERY different kind of white.

The Zelda Edition 3DS matched up to Warm 2 almost perfectly.

Both 3DS units were set to default(Power Saver disabled)
---
http://www.backloggery.com/darrentg
The surest mark of a manly video game is limited continues
#72stargazer64Posted 7/30/2012 6:37:10 PM
My DS Lite was slightly yellowish. Know how much it affected my life?
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#73KirbyIsAwesomePosted 7/30/2012 6:39:18 PM
stargazer64 posted...
My DS Lite was slightly yellowish. Know how much it affected my life?

You became Ron Burgundy?
---
PSN: KirbyIsAwesome. Now I'm a Nintentroll and a Vitatroll! Yippee!!!
The Official (self-elected) GameFAQs Wii U Hardware Board President
#74noutBrPosted 7/31/2012 12:50:57 AM
I noticed that my fresh 3DS XL was tinted very yellow compared to my launch 3DS. I Then remembered how I thought the screens on my launch 3DS looked yellow too when I first started playing. I was surprised by the yellow orange like tint on the menu and was under the impression it was a deliberate change by Nintendo.

But when doing the system transfer I clearly noticed the difference so I'm sure the yellow tint will disappear over time.

People in this topic are overreacting and technologically impaired so it seems. Canceling pre-orders because of such a thing is beyond stupid, if such a minute detail is enough for you to cancel you obviously are playing games and consoles for the wrong reasons.
---
m e g a m a n f o r e v e r
#75LathiaLakshmiPosted 7/31/2012 4:09:36 AM
Well, It seems the problem can be resolved with time. This is a deciding factor for me. It's not a "HUGE" deal, but a deciding factor nonetheless. I don't want any imperfections on something new! Definitely picking up an XL instead of a regular.
#76Latino_KingPosted 7/31/2012 4:20:21 AM
I really hope this isn't a recurring issue since I had to deal with the yellow tinted screens on my previous DSi units
---
AKA 305_King
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." -Confucius
#77DarrentgPosted 8/4/2012 9:48:47 PM
noutBr posted...
I noticed that my fresh 3DS XL was tinted very yellow compared to my launch 3DS. I Then remembered how I thought the screens on my launch 3DS looked yellow too when I first started playing. I was surprised by the yellow orange like tint on the menu and was under the impression it was a deliberate change by Nintendo.

But when doing the system transfer I clearly noticed the difference so I'm sure the yellow tint will disappear over time.

People in this topic are overreacting and technologically impaired so it seems. Canceling pre-orders because of such a thing is beyond stupid, if such a minute detail is enough for you to cancel you obviously are playing games and consoles for the wrong reasons.

Really? On launch day when I first powered on my 3DS, after the initial wow at the 3D, I distinctly remember looking at how good those whites looked and being really impressed. My cosmo black launch unit had clear whites from day 1.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/darrentg
The surest mark of a manly video game is limited continues
#78Hoffy_Posted 8/8/2012 9:57:11 AM
Has anyone's screen become less yellow?
---
Currently playing: Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland, Pokemon LeafGreen
#79endoflevelbossPosted 8/8/2012 1:30:31 PM
Darrentg posted...
noutBr posted...

Really? On launch day when I first powered on my 3DS, after the initial wow at the 3D, I distinctly remember looking at how good those whites looked and being really impressed. My cosmo black launch unit had clear whites from day 1.

Same here. The whites on my regular 3DS were really pure white right from day 1. I remember being impressed by that right away.
#80Dark_Shiva144Posted 8/9/2012 7:36:11 AM
Hoffy_ posted...
Has anyone's screen become less yellow?

Some people on a German website (don't have a link, but you probably don't speak German anyway^^") said their screens got a little less yellow after about 2-3 days of almost constantly playing the XL. Still, I have no proof and don't know if they've just grown accustomed to the yellowish screens...
My own XL should arrive tomorrow. I really hope the screen won't have this problem:( It would be great if someone could actually confirm the theory of the yellow disappearing over time... If the glue really is the cause, it would make sense for it to dry and clear up after a while.