DS games on 3DS XL

#21Lentastic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2012 10:26:42 AM
SSJ4CHRIS posted...
He's only calling you a troll because he's too ignorant to accept that the company he stupidly thinks loves him didn't make the remodel do what his fanboy mind thought it would do. That's how you are trolling.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up bro,

Also sorry for the triple post, but gamefaqs still won't let me edit posts since I'm only lv 31.
#22thedicemasterPosted 7/29/2012 12:31:20 PM
Lentastic posted...

Maybe so, but it would've still been a nice thing to have if it was possible, it's not like playing GBA games on the gameboy player makes them look stretched, but then again a TV screen is alot bigger... while the 3DS is kinda limited in size.

i'll try to explain it in a little more detail.

DS and DSi games are all designed to draw the game screen at 256x192 pixels, regardless of screen size and resolution of the device it's being played on.
the 3DS and 3DS XL screens are 400x240 and 320x240.
to make a 256x192 game screen appear fullscreen on a screen with a higher resolution it needs to be stretched out.

on the psvita this is not a problem because the screen resolution is exactly 4 times that of a psp, so each pixel drawn in the game can be tied to 4 pixels on the actual screen.
most emulators also don't have this problem because PC screens have a so much higher resolution that you can't see the little distortions that occur from the stretching.

the 3DS and 3DS XL however have a resolution less than twice that of the DS, so they can't stretch the game screen in such a clean way.
each game screen pixel would have to cover about 1.56 pixels on the actual screen, which is impossible.
nintendo's solution was to add a filter which does some blurring.
if they didn't everything would be even more distorted and messed up.

to make a comparison in how many pixels would have to be blurrred/distorted to stretch a game screen to the full size of an actual screen:
PSP->vita: none, the difference is 4 times.
GBA->old PC(1024x768):about 1 distorted pixel every 4-5 pixels, the difference is(rough estimate) about 20,5 times.
DS->3DS: 1 distorted pixel for every 1-2 pixels on the actual screen, the difference is roughly 1,56 times.

if the difference is 4, 9, 16, etc(square root is a whole number) there will never be a problem, and the blurring needed when the difference is more than 4 is already negligible.
but for 1,56 it's simply impossible to get a sharp image.
there's no way nintendo would ever sacrifice the quality of 3DS games to make old DS games look good, and a high-res 3D screen that could display both resolutions sharp would probably drive the cost well above $400.
#23FaustXIIPosted 7/29/2012 8:08:23 PM
Dude, one of the reasons I'm getting an XL is TO PLAY DS GAMES AT A DECENT SIZE AT THE SAME RESOLUTION/ 1:1 ratio!

Yes, it doesn't fill up the whole screen, but it's practically the same size as an original DS!
#24Galaxy_NovaPosted 7/29/2012 8:12:54 PM
TC is trying to show off that he has a 3DS XL. But really the rules are pics or it didn't happen.
---
Capcom X Level 5| Inazuma Eleven X Level 5| Project X Zone| Street Fighter X Tekken
#25bodrockPosted 7/29/2012 8:14:45 PM
damn, I get the feeling I'm gonna miss my DSiXL. :(((
---
GAME-ON://ALPHA.PROTOCOL/UNCHAINED.BLADES/AG.ZERO
#26CapnStankyPosted 7/29/2012 9:51:41 PM
Lentastic posted...
Cybeast3 posted...

No it isn't possible, because the resolution of the 3DS/3DS XL is different from the DS/DSi XL, and so it appears blurry when used at the 3DS/3DS XL's normal size. When playing in 1:1 pixel mode, the resolution is the same as a DS, which is normal.

Well that sucks, was hoping the 3DS XL would be able to display DS games with DSiXL's resolution.

It does. It's called 1:1 mode.
---
Mass Effect 3, Witcher 2 360, Darksiders 2, Halo 4, Borderlands 2, Lumines Electronic Symphony, Fez, Trials Evolution, 3DS XL, Diablo 3, Spelunky
#27zeplin1180Posted 7/29/2012 11:37:46 PM
"I dunno about that, when I played it on my DSi XL it looked perfect to me, every pixel looked just fine."

uhhmm, am i the only person to notice this statement...???

of course the DSiXL plays DS games perfectly!! it was/is after all designed to play primarily DS games!

the 3DS was not designed primarily to play DS games... it was primarily designed to play... wait for it... 3DS games!
#28BingSanpaoPosted 7/30/2012 12:30:22 AM(edited)
zeplin1180 posted...
"I dunno about that, when I played it on my DSi XL it looked perfect to me, every pixel looked just fine."

uhhmm, am i the only person to notice this statement...???

of course the DSiXL plays DS games perfectly!! it was/is after all designed to play primarily DS games!

the 3DS was not designed primarily to play DS games... it was primarily designed to play... wait for it... 3DS games!

I cringe every time I read this. The black lines between the massive pixel bothered me so much I had to trade my DSXL back for a DSi. DS games were made to be played on a DS screen. DSi appears already stretched, but I find it to be a good compromise. However, I found many 2D games looked like trash on the XL. The pixel ratio on the 3DSXL is around the same as DSi so I find it once again acceptable. DS games run perfect on 1:1 ratio, they look as if you were playing them on a DSi. It's not too small since it's the size on which DS games were designed to be played, not massively stretched like on a DSXL.
#29wisemiddsPosted 7/30/2012 2:02:50 AM
I wish the fanboys would just admit Nintendo messed up with 3DSXL, there constant denial is way past boring
---
3DS friend code: 3652 - 0628 - 9229
http://backloggery.com/wisemidds
#30FighterkirbyPosted 7/30/2012 2:05:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPciPoOfNEg.
---
Wii FC: 3144 5897-4654-3138
Warioware DIY: 2107-1388-4247