Comparing DS games on DSi XL vs. 3DS XL

#1Morgan19Posted 8/22/2012 4:50:37 AM(edited)
This is going to be an inherently confusing question, so hopefully I can explain this properly...

I'll preface my question by stating that I've owned the DS Lite, DSi XL, and now 3DS XL. I understand that the "this looks better, this looks worse" approach can be considerd opinion, but in the meantime I'm saying that the following is true for the sake of the question:

-- DS games on the DS Lite look "normal" (considered the baseline).
-- DS games on the DSi XL look bigger, and only slightly fuzzy (fonts and polygons mostly) because of the scale increase.
-- DS games on the 3DS XL at 1:1 look "normal" (like the original DS baseline).
-- DS games on the 3DS XL's full screen look *really* fuzzy, not just fonts and polygons: everything is blurrier.

On the DSi XL they still look good, if slightly fuzzy because of the scale-up. But then when you play them full-screen on the 3DS XL, it's like they're scaled up *and* have a blur/smoothing filter applied, which in my opinion, makes them look a lot worse. So here's my question: shouldn't a DS game played full-screen on a 3DS XL look the same as a DS game on the DSi XL?

Does that make sense? Thoughts?
#2TempauraPosted 8/22/2012 6:26:32 AM
shouldn't a DS game played full-screen on a 3DS XL look the same as a DS game on the DSi XL?

Absolutely not. The DSi models obviously plays games at their native resolution, the DSi XL has only larger pixels. But the 3DS (XL), with its 320x240 screens, simply cannot display properly the original 256x192 images in "full screen mode".
#3adampeltzPosted 8/22/2012 7:34:31 AM
Tempaura posted...
shouldn't a DS game played full-screen on a 3DS XL look the same as a DS game on the DSi XL?

Absolutely not. The DSi models obviously plays games at their native resolution, the DSi XL has only larger pixels. But the 3DS (XL), with its 320x240 screens, simply cannot display properly the original 256x192 images in "full screen mode".

^This. The DSi XL has the same amount of pixels as the DSi (aka the same resolution) but rendered over a larger screen surface area with larger pixels. DSi vs. DSi XL is like comparing a 42 inch 1080p and a 46 inch 1080p screen. It's the same resolution, but one is larger. The 3DS, in comparison, actually has higher resolution screens which stretches the low-res image across more pixels, resulting in lower quality.
---
Xbox Live gamertag: Peltz
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691;
#4Morgan19(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2012 8:56:29 AM(edited)
Ahh okay, I think I understand-- using the term "full" for the DSi vs. the 3DS isn't comparing apples to apples because the actual resolution of the two screens is different: so the DS game still gets scaled up further than on a DSi XL.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the explanation.