Should I get a 3DSXL?

#1The_Mighty_KELPPosted 8/25/2012 12:03:33 AM
I already have a flame red 3DS, and am very satisfied with it. I'd like to trade in my current one for an XL, but I've heard differing opinions about the quality of the XL system, so I'd like some feedback.

I don't care about portability or battery life that much. I typically play it at home anyway.

I still play my DS games a lot, so compatibility with those is a must.
---
Jogurt attacks! Inflicts 1 point of damage on the Goblin. Goblin is defeated! Jogurt gains experience.
...it appears that Jogurt's level has increased to 1.
#2moogle69Posted 8/25/2012 12:47:57 AM(edited)
mixed opinions? the only weakness of the XL is the speakers which is only a little weak compared to the original and thats about it (maybe another weakness its that its heavier also), everything else (quality wise) has been imporoved by a hugeeeee margin. not to mention this is the general consensus of many of the reviewers and many owners, don't know where the mixed opinion comes from.

-games actually look alot better (including DS games)
-matte finish makes the system finger printless and very smooth
-larger screen allow you to get immersed alot more easily
-battery life is also improved
-no more pointy edges means no more holes in your palms
-stylus placement is better especially for games like kid icarus, KH etc..
-many more..
---
3DS FC 5370 - 0690 - 8871
PSN coming soon
#3ninigoucnPosted 8/25/2012 3:37:05 AM(edited)
DON'T, to be honest with you, buy a ndsi instead of 3dsXl if your main concern is playing NDS games, and don't trade in your original 3ds for 3dsXL just because of the hype.

1. The screen brightness of XL is lower than original 3ds and it looks very yellowish.

2. games don't look any better on XL than the original 3ds ( imagine looking at a photo in its original resolution, then 2x it, which one do you prefer )

3. the outer part of XL is not matte finish! And it feels very slippery when you hold it because of the XL's enlarged size ( imagine holding an iPad while playing games )

4. The building quality of XL is definitely worse than the original 3ds if you compare them side by side
#4P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 8/25/2012 4:09:47 AM
Yes, yes, oh god yes! I was skeptical at first myself but when you see those screens and play any game on them it all washes away.
---
"When does a man die? When he is hit by a bullet? No. A man dies when he is forgotten."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA_lDpKDVoQ&feature=colike
#5abbeldydooPosted 8/25/2012 4:10:55 AM
The XL blows the standard 3ds out of the water,like the first poster said the only thing not improved is the speakers and it is not like they are crazy low sounding only slightly lower.

Heres a little video that may or may not help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPciPoOfNEg
---
Don't mod me bro!
3DS FC 2363-6916-0695
#6stargazer64Posted 8/25/2012 4:23:44 AM
ninigoucn posted...
DON'T, to be honest with you, buy a ndsi instead of 3dsXl if your main concern is playing NDS games, and don't trade in your original 3ds for 3dsXL just because of the hype.

1. The screen brightness of XL is lower than original 3ds and it looks very yellowish.

2. games don't look any better on XL than the original 3ds ( imagine looking at a photo in its original resolution, then 2x it, which one do you prefer )

3. the outer part of XL is not matte finish! And it feels very slippery when you hold it because of the XL's enlarged size ( imagine holding an iPad while playing games )

4. The building quality of XL is definitely worse than the original 3ds if you compare them side by side

The truth is somewhere between this guy and everyone claiming that the XL changed their life.

The brightness and sharpness is a little lower. 3DS game graphics aren't as crisp.

The 3D looks better in some games and the bigger screens make up for the 'blown up' graphics to some.

Matte is a non-issue for me.

Build quality is better on the XL. It feels more solid, the hinges are better, the bumpers are better (no screen-scratching possibility), stylus placement is better, and the buttons are better. Better D-pad as well.

White screens may be slightly less white than the regular 3DS but it's not really noticeable on mine.

DS games look great on it. And you can make them the original size if you want.
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#7cabcalloway1983Posted 8/25/2012 4:42:17 AM(edited)
I would not say its life changing like i just got a new kidney but there is a very noticeable improvement in build quality.No way i could go back to the standard 3ds.
#8The_Mighty_KELP(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2012 9:57:30 AM
Okay, that video sold me. The only worrying thing I have is the stylus holder position - I actually kinda liked having it in the back. On my DSLite, with the holder on the right side, I would always fiddle with it when I was playing a game that didn't require it...
---
Jogurt attacks! Inflicts 1 point of damage on the Goblin. Goblin is defeated! Jogurt gains experience.
...it appears that Jogurt's level has increased to 1.