Is Mario 3D Land like Super Mario 64? Or more like Galaxy? :(

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is Mario 3D Land like Super Mario 64? Or more like Galaxy? :(
4 years ago#1
SM64 is in my top 10 if not top 5 favorite games of all time. That being said, I do not care for the Galaxy games. I do not like them. They are not memorable and you have to use motion control gimmicks to collect star bits.

How is the hub / level design / etc., compared to SM64 and Galaxy? How is the quality of 3D Land compared to 64 and then to Galaxy?

I might purchase an XL very soon and this will be my first game for it.
The Final Fantasy franchise you grew up with is dead now and forever more and the XIII series spits on the grave of Final Fantasy as Final Fantasy rolls over.
4 years ago#2
Imo. Its not like either of them apart from its 3d polygons. It has its own feel
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
4 years ago#3
johnnybazookabo posted...
Imo. Its not like either of them apart from its 3d polygons. It has its own feel

This.

It feels a lot like the 2D games, but in a 3D environment if that makes sense.

akxsion posted...
SM64 is in my top 10 if not top 5 favorite games of all time. That being said, I do not care for the Galaxy games. I do not like them. They are not memorable and you have to use motion control gimmicks to collect star bits.

I really disagree with this. Galaxy 2 is the best in the series, and significantly better than 64.

Personally, the only reason I find Mario 64 memorable is nostalgia. Super Mario Galaxy 2 does everything better than it.
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
4 years ago#4
Someguy_13 posted...

This.

yes, it does. Thank you both.

Question: none of the power ups are timed, are they? I seriously hate the freaking timed power ups in SMG series.

Oh and Yoshi?????
The Final Fantasy franchise you grew up with is dead now and forever more and the XIII series spits on the grave of Final Fantasy as Final Fantasy rolls over.
4 years ago#5
Yeah, its really not like either of those. Its sort of a mash up between a 2D and 3D game. Its hard to describe what it is like.
4 years ago#6
akxsion posted...

Question: none of the power ups are timed, are they? I seriously hate the freaking timed power ups in SMG series.
Oh and Yoshi?????

No Yoshi and the only timed powerup is the star.
Jackass Thompson doesn't approve of Wii Music. He's on a crusade to put an end to sax and violins in games
4 years ago#7
Power ups are not timed as they are in the Galaxy series. 3D land is a 3d Mario platformer with the laws of a 2d Mario platformer if that makes any sense.
4 years ago#8
Neither, the game is pretty much a 2D Mario game in a 3D space. You aren't collecting anything, you're just trying to reach the end of the level.
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=lunarroar
Official Grand Master Assassin of New York (Assassin's Creed 3 board)
4 years ago#9
I love sm64 but smg2 is amazing, unforgettable experience. Now smg1 I agree that its pretty lame
Brawl FC- 3780- 8691-5039- Mist [( Mains- Yoshi, Bowser, Peach, Squirtle, Mario)]
Pokemon FC- 1547-9508-2200
4 years ago#10
Someguy_13 posted...

This.

akxsion posted...

I really disagree with this. Galaxy 2 is the best in the series, and significantly better than 64.

Personally, the only reason I find Mario 64 memorable is nostalgia. Super Mario Galaxy 2 does everything better than it.

I actually never like Galaxy one or 2. I just wanted to play mario and they gave motion control running around small planets flying stuff like that. They were both disappointing since I bought 2 for 60$
PSN: oomomow Gamer Tag: Yamato Soul
Playing: dragons dogma(xbox), UMVC(ps3/xbox), KI uprising, RE revelations, and N64 games
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Is Mario 3D Land like Super Mario 64? Or more like Galaxy? :(

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived