Is Mario 3D Land like Super Mario 64? Or more like Galaxy? :(

#1akxsionPosted 9/1/2012 1:31:13 AM
SM64 is in my top 10 if not top 5 favorite games of all time. That being said, I do not care for the Galaxy games. I do not like them. They are not memorable and you have to use motion control gimmicks to collect star bits.

How is the hub / level design / etc., compared to SM64 and Galaxy? How is the quality of 3D Land compared to 64 and then to Galaxy?

I might purchase an XL very soon and this will be my first game for it.
---
The Final Fantasy franchise you grew up with is dead now and forever more and the XIII series spits on the grave of Final Fantasy as Final Fantasy rolls over.
#2JonbazookabozPosted 9/1/2012 1:33:24 AM
Imo. Its not like either of them apart from its 3d polygons. It has its own feel
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
#3Someguy_13Posted 9/1/2012 1:37:15 AM(edited)
johnnybazookabo posted...
Imo. Its not like either of them apart from its 3d polygons. It has its own feel

This.

It feels a lot like the 2D games, but in a 3D environment if that makes sense.

akxsion posted...
SM64 is in my top 10 if not top 5 favorite games of all time. That being said, I do not care for the Galaxy games. I do not like them. They are not memorable and you have to use motion control gimmicks to collect star bits.

I really disagree with this. Galaxy 2 is the best in the series, and significantly better than 64.

Personally, the only reason I find Mario 64 memorable is nostalgia. Super Mario Galaxy 2 does everything better than it.
---
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#4akxsion(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2012 1:37:17 AM
Someguy_13 posted...

This.

yes, it does. Thank you both.

Question: none of the power ups are timed, are they? I seriously hate the freaking timed power ups in SMG series.

Oh and Yoshi?????
---
The Final Fantasy franchise you grew up with is dead now and forever more and the XIII series spits on the grave of Final Fantasy as Final Fantasy rolls over.
#5staticxtreme5Posted 9/1/2012 1:38:28 AM
Yeah, its really not like either of those. Its sort of a mash up between a 2D and 3D game. Its hard to describe what it is like.
#6Gogo726Posted 9/1/2012 3:21:56 AM
akxsion posted...

Question: none of the power ups are timed, are they? I seriously hate the freaking timed power ups in SMG series.
Oh and Yoshi?????

No Yoshi and the only timed powerup is the star.
---
Jackass Thompson doesn't approve of Wii Music. He's on a crusade to put an end to sax and violins in games
#7gamerso1990Posted 9/1/2012 4:38:18 AM
Power ups are not timed as they are in the Galaxy series. 3D land is a 3d Mario platformer with the laws of a 2d Mario platformer if that makes any sense.
#8LunarRoarPosted 9/1/2012 4:41:12 AM
Neither, the game is pretty much a 2D Mario game in a 3D space. You aren't collecting anything, you're just trying to reach the end of the level.
---
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=lunarroar
Official Grand Master Assassin of New York (Assassin's Creed 3 board)
#9papery0shi2Posted 9/1/2012 4:51:17 AM
I love sm64 but smg2 is amazing, unforgettable experience. Now smg1 I agree that its pretty lame
---
Brawl FC- 3780- 8691-5039- Mist [( Mains- Yoshi, Bowser, Peach, Squirtle, Mario)]
Pokemon FC- 1547-9508-2200
#10oomomowPosted 9/1/2012 5:05:52 AM
Someguy_13 posted...

This.

akxsion posted...

I really disagree with this. Galaxy 2 is the best in the series, and significantly better than 64.

Personally, the only reason I find Mario 64 memorable is nostalgia. Super Mario Galaxy 2 does everything better than it.

I actually never like Galaxy one or 2. I just wanted to play mario and they gave motion control running around small planets flying stuff like that. They were both disappointing since I bought 2 for 60$
---
PSN: oomomow Gamer Tag: Yamato Soul
Playing: dragons dogma(xbox), UMVC(ps3/xbox), KI uprising, RE revelations, and N64 games