Backwards Compatibility for GBA

#11Ritster21(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 1:27:09 PM
OMG_A_PONY posted...
_DTM_ posted...
OMG_A_PONY posted...
some games are timeless....maybe a person didnt even start gaming until recently and wants to play old games. should they track down old systems for this? why not just give them the option to buy it and play it on the handheld they own?

It is two generations ago, There has to be a cutoff for how far BC should go before getting out of hand and considering that GBA used different carts it isn't worth the extra money for each system for a feature that only a handful will need. I think consoles that use disc should go as far back as they can since it can be done with emulation software eventually instead of extra hardware but even then only a handful will care about two generations ago. One of the strangest things to me is that a BC PS3 is sometimes $200 more than one that isn't when you can pick up a ps2 for about $50(I got mine for $20) and get a new PS3.

whats so hard about offering a game as a download?

As said by strongo9, this is why we have digital distribution and stuff like the VC these days.
#12Poopcorn13Posted 10/3/2012 1:27:48 PM
OMG_A_PONY posted...
_DTM_ posted...
OMG_A_PONY posted...
some games are timeless....maybe a person didnt even start gaming until recently and wants to play old games. should they track down old systems for this? why not just give them the option to buy it and play it on the handheld they own?

It is two generations ago, There has to be a cutoff for how far BC should go before getting out of hand and considering that GBA used different carts it isn't worth the extra money for each system for a feature that only a handful will need. I think consoles that use disc should go as far back as they can since it can be done with emulation software eventually instead of extra hardware but even then only a handful will care about two generations ago. One of the strangest things to me is that a BC PS3 is sometimes $200 more than one that isn't when you can pick up a ps2 for about $50(I got mine for $20) and get a new PS3.

What are you talking about? That's EXACTLY what Nintendo is doing with GBA games. Ambassadors have had them for months. We're getting a public release, too.
---
Oh joy.
#13Ritster21(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 1:30:38 PM
I honestly believe that Non-Ambassadors will get the Ambassadors GBA games as well.

The difference is that Ambassadors got them for free while everybody else will have to buy them.
#14Tempest717Posted 10/3/2012 1:55:44 PM
I think the "4DS" will be backwards compatible with DS games tbh, a DS cart and a 3DS cart are physically the same but for the tab, so there's no reason to take it out.
---
Official Cherry Garcia of the IDF
Official Lion Tamer of the NDF
#15Ritster21(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 2:15:39 PM
Tempest717 posted...
I think the "4DS" will be backwards compatible with DS games tbh, a DS cart and a 3DS cart are physically the same but for the tab, so there's no reason to take it out.

Yeah, I included that. It would be weird if the 4DS can play 3DS games but not DS games.

But like I also said, there are six other systems perfectly capable of playing DS games if 4DS cannot play DS games.
#16HurricaneManningPosted 10/3/2012 2:17:32 PM
Bootleg carts are everywhere. I'd much rather buy digital and know the copy I'm getting is legit than risk it on eBay or Amazon where I might get some Hong Kong made bootleg.

And yeah, people will whine about anything. It's not surprising.
---
Suck for Luck watch: SUCCESS
BOILER UP!
#17NettoSaitoPosted 10/3/2012 2:25:23 PM
Just wait for Nintendo to release them roms. It was posted on the NoE press site that GBA games were coming to the eShop, so just keep waiting.
---
3DS FC - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] Please PM me with your FC!
My Backloggery Game List - http://www.backloggery.com/NettoSaito
#18Ritster21(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 2:55:46 PM
Bump.
#19Ritster21(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 3:38:25 PM
NettoSaito posted...
Just wait for Nintendo to release them roms. It was posted on the NoE press site that GBA games were coming to the eShop, so just keep waiting.

This. I can't wait for games like Minish Cap and Metroid Fusion to be uploaded.
#20chestershadowPosted 10/3/2012 3:42:33 PM
OMG_A_PONY posted...
_DTM_ posted...
OMG_A_PONY posted...

Emulation is easier said than done. Its absolutely doable, but is it feasible right now to on a mass scale? My guess is they're working on a gba emulator like the gb/gbc/nes on the VC. But until we get through a significant portion of the gb/gbc library on VC will we see anymore gba games not part of the ambassador program.