The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Wanna know why readers skip straight to the review score for gaming websites?

#1TastyKittyMMMMPosted 10/8/2012 8:19:15 AM
Their reviews are too damn long. Cut out all non-essential trash and make it three to five paragraphs long. Don't give some expository intro leading up to something. Get straight to your point. In fact, if they did this, aiming for precision, they could likely do away with SCORES altogether because their reviews are short enough everyone can take in the important opinions.
#2T3H_1337_N1NJ4Posted 10/8/2012 8:22:12 AM(edited)
Actually no, I don't want to know that.

What I do want to know is the relevance of this topic to this board.
---
To err is human, but to really screw things up you need a computer!
IGN: CodenameFox
#3Desrtw0lfPosted 10/8/2012 8:28:20 AM
I'm sorry to say it, but this is an example of a stereotypically short attention span. People write reviews for many reasons, one of which is usually to tell you about the game. Usually this involves telling you what you need to know about the game (Genre, setting, etc) and then they go over what they liked and what they didn't. Different people have different styles, and some are more long-winded than others. When I read a review, I sometimes know what the game is about, and sometimes I don't. The reviewer should assume I don't, and tell me the important parts I need to know. This can take some time, but it's worth it for those who are clueless.
---
-Desert Wolf
#4TastyKittyMMMM(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 8:32:39 AM
It's not about short attention span so much as wishing the superfluous, redundant info was tossed off.
#5Freelance_WolfPosted 10/8/2012 8:37:44 AM
I agree that scores in a review are pointless and should be done away with. However, I do not agree that reviews should be shortened to do that. If anything, reviews should be longer. The more I know about a game, the better. If people really are just skipping straight to the pointless score, then they're basically looking at reviews for all the wrong reasons.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#6DeathSoul2000Posted 10/8/2012 8:40:10 AM
personally i want to know the score first, then i'll read the actual review to see why they scored it how they did.
#7AdolRedPosted 10/8/2012 9:12:17 AM
Yeah don't tell us WHY a game is good or bad just gimme a numbet
---
Read my comic! http://thejaystack.tumblr.com
<3Metric <3 Portugal. The Man <3Frank Turner<3Radiohead<3Bomb the Music Industry!<3
#8aak57Posted 10/8/2012 9:20:57 AM(edited)
Scores are for the lazy. They accomplish nothing a well written review cannot express and convey so much less. And that's not even touching the fact that the scale VG reviewers use (7 basically being average) is completely terrible and inconsistent.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#9SSJ2__GohanPosted 10/8/2012 9:19:21 AM
Define what exactly is useless.

Most reviews I read don't seem to have anything useless. Though when people start talking about the game's history (like dedicating a whole paragraph how Pokemon gen 1 games were, how gen 2 games were etc to show how the series evolved and ended up at the current games), that is indeed useless, as I'm obviously reading a review to read how that specific game is played, and not others (for which I'd take their respective reviews if I wanted).
#10EndgamePosted 10/8/2012 9:30:47 AM
What I do want to know is the relevance of this topic to this board.

where were you when Sterling reviewed Uprising and Mario Kart 7?
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert