Wanna know why readers skip straight to the review score for gaming websites?

#11Megaman OmegaPosted 10/8/2012 9:34:33 AM(edited)
The reason is because people don't want to have to endure the ****y review. They'd much rather just go see the dumb score and be done with it. When i try to read a review, it usually isn't long until it is clear that the reviewer is an idiot because they blame SM3DL for not using motion controls enough (lol) or DQIX for not looking as good as DQVIII (LOL). Self-proclaimed "gamers" that "grew up on halo" and bash a handheld for using cartridges? ...what?

Ten years ago, reviwes were good and you could take them for face value. Nowadays, reviews are useless garbage.

What I do want to know is the relevance of this topic to this board.

where were you when Sterling reviewed Uprising and Mario Kart 7?

Did i tell you you can leave your bridge?
---
COD:BOD is definitely the highest budget Vita title - GeassMaster
I come to GameFAQs to be an a-hole and create strife/hate on the message boards. -GeassMaster
#12Baha05Posted 10/8/2012 9:54:13 AM
Sad thing is the Sterling review wasn't the mai reason why people were upset.

It was the fact that people were using the Sterling review to troll and say that the games were bad even though there were plenty of positive reviews out there.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#13aamotPosted 10/8/2012 5:14:36 PM
Agree or disagree with Gamespot's actual reviews, I really love how they present them.

An overall score up top for a very brief idea, emblems denoting the absolute best and worst aspects of the game, a short summary of what the game did right and wrong, followed by a (usually) two page review.

Gamespot lets you decide just how much effort and depth you want to put into their review of the game.
---
chrisAAMO
#14FAT____MANPosted 10/8/2012 6:22:24 PM
I completely agree. I'm tired of any said reviewers personal bias and their two damn cents on a certain games ENTIRE franchise and what problems he's had with the company or any such crap. They never just review the game in front of them, they'll always add their irrelevant opinion on many aspects of many games.
#15TastyKittyMMMM(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 1:14:40 PM
OK, let me use Dale North's Code of Princess review (http://www.destructoid.com/review-code-of-princess-236347.phtml) as a perfect example of this. I'm going to cut out all the paragraphs I feel are useless and leave only the essentials. This is about all you need to know from his review. This isn't a case of ADD, it's a case that the rest is generally worthless.

Code of Princess is a 2D side-scrolling beat-'em-up with action-RPG leveling elements, just like the beloved Guardian Heroes. I'm glad to say that it's a near-perfect match as far as these aspects go; the combat engine is exquisite. While it takes a few slashes to get used to the timing, you'll be comboing and juggling within no time. Buttons for light and heavy attacks give you the basics, and directional inputs before these buttons, like double-tapped directions and quarter-circle sweeps, trigger special moves. Just about every attack can be chained into the next, and the game has no issue with you mercilessly juggling enemies until they're dead.

Combat takes place on open fields with pretty static backdrops, but you'll be too busy hopping between three or more planes (just like Guardian Heroes) to notice. Jumping from the foreplane to the mid and rear ones gives a pseudo-3D feeling to the fighting, letting you move to dodge projectiles or take a breather from enemy attacks. Though it always looks neat, outside a couple of specific boss battles, moving between these planes felt unnecessary. Another problem is that being on the rear plane had me struggling to see my character among the hordes of enemy sprites, even on the larger 3DS XL screen. For these reasons I tried to stay on the foreplane as much as possible.

I wouldn't call it grinding exactly, but it's close. If you've been trying out different characters in each chapter (all of which start at level 1 and do not auto level as the game progresses), you'll likely find yourself outclassed in a boss battle at some point. Code of Princess lets you replay any chapter you've previously finished to gain experience and gold in its Free Play mode. I found that I had to go back two or three times to do this to become strong enough to progress.

I think Code of Princess will go on to be one of those cult-classic games that gamers will bring up in their 'must-play games' list for the 3DS, just like Guardian Heroes. It's really that good. That 'spiritual successor' label? Totally worthy. This is a beautifully crafted side-scrolling beat-'em-up that has no equal on the 3DS, and the love that went into the localization makes it that much better. If you've found yourself longing an old-school beat-'em-up with a real substance, challenge, and polish, you owe it to yourself to check out Code of Princess.
#16yukitoPosted 10/9/2012 1:18:36 PM
I prefer that reviewers take as long as they need to explain their opinions, then place a summary at the end, near the score. If you can't even skim a review, though, you probably don't care all that much about anything except the score.
---
Samantha Wright is my waifu.
-Yusketeers
#17Darkstorm16Posted 10/9/2012 1:29:39 PM
Personally I check the score first by this method:
If the score is generally an 8-10/10 then it's pretty much fine I'll get the game
5-7/10 I'll read the review
0-4 I know to skip
almost never have I been pleased on a game that reviewers gave a 4/10 or lower.
---
I review stuff at http://www.eShopGamers.com/
Fellow Nintendo supporter, Sony Lover and IOS newcomer
#18TastyKittyMMMM(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 1:32:20 PM
yukito posted...
I prefer that reviewers take as long as they need to explain their opinions, then place a summary at the end, near the score. If you can't even skim a review, though, you probably don't care all that much about anything except the score.

In my OP, I said I'd rather there are short, concise reviews that abandon the score entirely.
#19wafflemyrofflePosted 10/9/2012 1:35:52 PM
Video game reviews should go like this:

Today, I am reviewing Paper Mario Sticker Star for the Nintendo 3DS. I like it. 9/10

All of them.

No need for personal anecdotes about how as a child, the reviewer grew up playing with stickers and collecting them in a book and trading them with friends and having to choose between candies or a new sheet of stickers from the store.
#20TastyKittyMMMM(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 1:41:39 PM
wafflemyroffle posted...
Video game reviews should go like this:

Today, I am reviewing Paper Mario Sticker Star for the Nintendo 3DS. I like it. 9/10

All of them.

No need for personal anecdotes about how as a child, the reviewer grew up playing with stickers and collecting them in a book and trading them with friends and having to choose between candies or a new sheet of stickers from the store.

xD I do think there is a place for that type of review... the problem is most of them are very poorly done.