Looking for a handheld for my 6 year old

#11pikachupwnagePosted 10/15/2012 5:26:05 AM
lavos456 posted...
Sure 3ds is good but companies such as leapfrog have handhelds specifically for young children

Don't waste your money or your kids time on that crap.

That sort of thing would've made me bash my skull against the wall from boredom when I was 6. Get your kid real games.
---
"Let's get comfortable in these nice comfy chairs."
Official electric boogaloo mint scoop with a cherry on top of the IDF
#12kewldude475Posted 10/15/2012 5:27:49 AM
AstralFrost posted...
arclouks_x posted...
It's kinda risky to give a system to 6 yeard old, you should get him a ds.

Why's that? Sorry I've never had either. Is there something particularly breakable about the 3DS compared to the DS? I saw them at EB Games on the weekend and the prices were pretty similar (I think?).

It's much cheaper, and more durable. DS Fat version, as another person said.
---
Member of the V3Da master race.
PSN: kewldude475
#13SlaysmePosted 10/15/2012 5:28:37 AM
lavos456 posted...
Sure 3ds is good but companies such as leapfrog have handhelds specifically for young children

My 3&4 year olds have outgrown these devices already. I'm sure tc does not want to waste money.
I'm going to agree with others, a phat Ds is probabaly your best bet. Most durable and gba support. Lives are nice, but break easier.
As for the 3ds. . You can lock 3d, download content,take pics, etc. the only issue is a breakage potential / cost one.
---
Your television viewing may be a negative influence on your life. It may lie to you. Watch out! Don't believe the robots. Eat well
5412-9925-5942. Psn-slaysme
#14PaladinAlikPosted 10/15/2012 5:34:04 AM
I dropped my 3ds's a few times and they still work perfectly but then I dont make it a habit. you could get a wrist strap for it to cut down on the droppage.

if you dont think your kids will destroy the system, get a 3ds/xl

if youre afraid of them dropping it a lot get a phat, also battery life may be a real issue to consider, but considering you can get a car charger maybe that wouldnt even be an issue
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#15JetPilotPosted 10/15/2012 5:44:15 AM(edited)
Here is some advice from someone who actually has children in that age range, unlike most of the previous commenters:

Don't waste your money on Leapfrog. The games are very shallow and the kids will tire of those games quickly as there is not much to them.

Don't buy a DS because you're buying an obsolete system that is going to eventually more difficult to find games for. An original DS will be preowned and you have no idea of how well it was taken care of by its previous owner. A DS Lite/DSi is no more or less durable than a 3DS.

Get the 3DS like you originally asked and spend an extra $15 on the Nerf Armor for the 3DS. http://tinyurl.com/ctx9kfw

Both my 7-year-old and my 9-year-old have a 3DS (they got them last Christmas when they were 6 & 8) and the Nerf Armor does a very good job at protecting the system from the inevitable bumps and drops that it will take from a child. And once the Nerf Armor get completely torn up (it last about a year or so under daily child use) you can just throw it away and pop on a new one.

Plus, the 3DS will play not only 3DS games but DS games as well. And the kids love having their own "movie camera" that they can take video with, something the DS can't do.
---
PSN: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i").
#16NettoSaitoPosted 10/15/2012 5:50:03 AM
The 3DS is perfect, but make sure you turn on the parental controls to shut off the 3D until they turn at least 7.

Anyway besides that, it is great! The 3DS has a great library of games on its own, but there's also HUNDREDS of DS games which would be great as well.

New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario 64 (I used to love this game on the N64 when I was 6/7, and I Played it non stop lol), Mario Kart DS/Mario Kart 7, Nintendogs, MAYBE Zelda (although it may be a bit freaky, most of us played the games when we were that age), and so on.
---
3DS FC - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] Please PM me with your FC!
My Backloggery Game List - http://www.backloggery.com/NettoSaito
#17n00bsaib0tPosted 10/15/2012 5:50:43 AM
It's kinda risky to give a system to 6 yeard old, you should get him a ds.

I'm not sure how you got this idea. I had my own NES and Gameboy at that age and took great care of them. Spoiled n00b was spoiled.

Don't waste your money on Leapfrog. The games are very shallow and the kids will tire of those games quickly as there is not much to them.

My brother ran into this issue with his 5 year old. He got him a Leap pad and he got bored with it pretty quick, but he loves his dad's 3DS.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
Fighting Game Mains - SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | MvC3: C.Viper/Magneto/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero
#18JetPilotPosted 10/15/2012 5:50:49 AM
DS/3DS games that my kids enjoy are:

All of the "Lego" games (Batman, Batman 2, Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones, etc.)

Mario Kart 7

Kid Icarus

Super Mario 3D Land

NSMB / NSMB 2

Pokemon series

Plus some of the downloadable games on the 3DS such as:

Freaky Forms

Order Up

Pushmo
---
PSN: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i").
#19DunnoBroPosted 10/15/2012 6:46:49 AM
I'd get a ds, still very relavent, much cheaper, and less of a headache when(not if) your kid breaks it.
---
>Implying I don't actually know
#20vectorman5Posted 10/15/2012 7:19:40 AM(edited)
Quote:DS Phat. Plays GBA games, cheap and it's as durable as a tank.
@AKC12

This. Or an original gameboy/gbc. All them have extreme durability and large kid friendly libraries. Use them as a gateway console and buy them the newest one as a Christmas/birthday gift when they prove they're responsible with it.

It's what I'm doing with my kid.

---
If the Sega Master System was a speed bump to the NES, the Atari 7800 was a tire-staining squirrel.