Why does this board's opinion of digital downloads seem to be entirely negative?

#1MonoculusPosted 10/27/2012 9:04:26 AM
Is it really that important that you have a physical case and manual to show off to your friends? Can you not afford the $5 for a larger SD card than the 2GB one that comes with the system? Is reselling or buying used that strong of a point to you people?

I just don't understand why people would choose physical over digital on a handheld system, unless they enjoy having to carry a handful of carts at a time instead of the SD card in their system.
---
Xbox LIVE GamerTag: RandomTag529 | Steam ID: FEGuy
NES|SNES|PSX|N64|GC|X360|Wii|PC|GB|GBC|GBA|DS|PSP|Lite|3DS|Android 4.0
#2OtherSuperPhilPosted 10/27/2012 9:07:52 AM
Well, I don't have a negative opinion, I just prefer something tangible on my shelf.
---
News, reviews, articles, editorials, interviews and more regarding all platforms: www.superphillipcentral.com
Twitter: SP_Central
#3Spiffy247Posted 10/27/2012 9:08:47 AM
I actually prefer the cartridges. Comes with a booklet, case, i actually get tons of games, and so on. Digital is all well and good, but I only really get digitally exclusively digital games, and puzzle games.
---
I'm clever, vaguely feminine, a vampire, and I wield Dice. PH33R.
The DS and PSP are both outstanding systems. Wally the Equality Weasel says so.
#4DeathSoul2000Posted 10/27/2012 9:09:28 AM
^ this. i just like to have something to look at. besides it never pay above 20 on something digital.
#5OtherSuperPhilPosted 10/27/2012 9:18:49 AM
Also, if a game isn't one I'll see myself playing again (doesn't happen often), I like knowing I can sell it.
---
News, reviews, articles, editorials, interviews and more regarding all platforms: www.superphillipcentral.com
Twitter: SP_Central
#6Spiffy247Posted 10/27/2012 9:21:52 AM
OtherSuperPhil posted...
Also, if a game isn't one I'll see myself playing again (doesn't happen often), I like knowing I can sell it.

I agree with that. I rarely sell a game, but I sometimes do so.
---
I'm clever, vaguely feminine, a vampire, and I wield Dice. PH33R.
The DS and PSP are both outstanding systems. Wally the Equality Weasel says so.
#7Tempest717Posted 10/27/2012 9:21:55 AM
A lot of Nintendo games have actual resale value, as opposed to say Sony's. Which is why I personally don't mind digital on my PSP but am hesitant to buy DD on my 3DS. That and accounts, though that will be remedied soon.
---
Official Cherry Garcia of the IDF
Official Lion Tamer of the NDF
#8Dragon lord27Posted 10/27/2012 9:23:30 AM
*** that.

My problem comes from the fact that digital content is treated like physical content.

If I'm going to pay the exact same price, for less (No Case, Manual, or local stores profits) and not even getting something basic that says I own the digital contents licence and can continue to use it in the event something happens to my 3DS....Nintendo can just GTFO.

If the price difference was there, maybe just maybe I would stop to consider purchasing digital.

You wanna bash smart shoppers? I don't ever pay more for less. Leaves me with more money for everything else in life.
---
The PS3 and 360 can battle each other over who's breasts look more realistic.
The Wii is all about having fun with them. ~Girl Gamer~
#9MinamoPosted 10/27/2012 9:25:32 AM(edited)
Consumers want something tangible.
Price is (usually) the same or more than retail.
Resale.
No account system, cant share between DS, DSi, 3DS, Wii, etc.
Games are tied to your 3DS, you lose it you lose all of your games.
SD card storage; eventually you'll have more than two, and you'll have to keep track of which one has what.
Believe it or not, there are still places in the US who have very poor internet. (not I)
#10Baha05Posted 10/27/2012 9:25:58 AM
Well considering carts have grown smaller could be one reason to carry them, not to mention if my any means you are going out and playing a 3DS for longer periods of time chances are you going to bring stuff with you.

Second some people never like full price for digital content vs retail and honestly it's not an issue unless Nintendo doesn't put up sales or lowers the price.

Third the idea of having it all tied to an system is really worrying for some because they don't want to risk the loss of the games with the system.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"