Why does this board's opinion of digital downloads seem to be entirely negative?

#101Alucard188(Moderator)Posted 10/28/2012 3:37:02 AM
NathanisDrake posted...

Do me a favour and BAN Razieru for me, please.

Why?
---
Face it Cloud is a gaming icon and has appered in lots of games while mario has only appeared in 2 games sunshine and 64~xSlashbomBx
#102Baha05Posted 10/28/2012 5:44:36 AM
parKb5 posted...
Nonsense. I've sold all my used games on eBay and in each instance I've got at the very least, 50% of my money back.

I don't think selling 2 games that you don't play anymore to get one that you want is a bad deal.

You can never do that with digital...ever.

But honestly you shouldn't really sell games in the first place if you aren't going to keep them, and I know that's really silly thing to say since rights and all but it's one of those things that's a sign of poor money management. And I know I've bought and sold off games that I should either never have bought or never have sod to get other games, it's a terrible waste of cash.

At least with a few things in life it's more understandable, like trying to sell a car, most of the time a person has given it enough time to resale the thing to upgrade and that doesn't seem to be the case with a lot of gamers that impulse buy.

But you know to me to resale a game the right way I judge sorta like my own crappy car analogy, in that if you put enough time and effort into it then it's time to trade it in.

Or if you got something you hated like Fable 3
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#103Alucard188(Moderator)Posted 10/28/2012 7:05:32 AM
Baha05 posted...
parKb5 posted...
Nonsense. I've sold all my used games on eBay and in each instance I've got at the very least, 50% of my money back.

I don't think selling 2 games that you don't play anymore to get one that you want is a bad deal.

You can never do that with digital...ever.

But honestly you shouldn't really sell games in the first place if you aren't going to keep them, and I know that's really silly thing to say since rights and all but it's one of those things that's a sign of poor money management. And I know I've bought and sold off games that I should either never have bought or never have sod to get other games, it's a terrible waste of cash.

At least with a few things in life it's more understandable, like trying to sell a car, most of the time a person has given it enough time to resale the thing to upgrade and that doesn't seem to be the case with a lot of gamers that impulse buy.

But you know to me to resale a game the right way I judge sorta like my own crappy car analogy, in that if you put enough time and effort into it then it's time to trade it in.

Or if you got something you hated like Fable 3

So, you shouldn't sell the games you no longer want. If you no longer want the games, or want to play them, wouldn't it be worse money management to not get something back for your games?
---
Face it Cloud is a gaming icon and has appered in lots of games while mario has only appeared in 2 games sunshine and 64~xSlashbomBx
#104gamereviewgodPosted 10/28/2012 7:14:00 AM
Steam changed their user agreement. I didn't agree with that policy, but if I didn't accept it, I lose my account and the software that went with it.

I bought an Android game listed as compatible with my phone. It crashes when I open it. No refunds.

My original Xbox content is lost to the ages.

There are no official policies in place with regards to PSN and Xbox Live digital when we enter the next gen. Steam as well.

Kindle? All books erased, no reprieve from Amazon:

http://consumerist.com/2012/10/22/amazon-erases-customers-kindle-wishes-her-luck-in-finding-somewhere-else-to-shop/

No resale, no trading, no borrowing, no renting, no real consumer options. You are at the mercy of legal language and the company/publisher/studio's wishes. That's why companies, from video games to films to books, are pushing so hard. This is about control, nothing more, nothing less.

Beyond consumer issues:

When I pass on, my digital content cannot be transferred to my kin or family.

Digital content cannot be displayed for preservation purposes in a museum. Imagine walking into a video game museum - of which there are two - and having nothing to show except a list of files.

I like digital for small titles. I love it for indie titles. I like the opportunities it provides to smaller devs. I hate it for everything else.
---
http://www.doblu.com
http://www.multiplayergames.com
#10521_21Posted 10/28/2012 7:16:50 AM
Other people have probably mentioned this in the topic by now, but I have nothing against digital downloads. I just don't like the idea of it being priced the same as physical copies, since the price was meant to cover the costs of producing those physical copies. If they were digital, obviously, it is much cheaper to produce, so why price it the same?
---
Currently playing:
Cave Story, Super Robot Taisen OG Endless Saga, and Pokemon White 2
#106andrea987Posted 10/28/2012 7:21:46 AM
It's all about pricing. If I was a millionaire, I probably wouldn't care and I'd just buy a bigger SD card. Here in UK you can buy from online shops physical copies of the DD available on the eshops for a 10 cheaper, more if you wait few weeks/months after release. And I'm not even mentioning used on eBay and such. So why should I pay more for less (no covers/manuals and no possibility of reselling it)?
#107Nickcool1996Posted 10/28/2012 8:16:55 AM
gamereviewgod posted...
Steam changed their user agreement. I didn't agree with that policy, but if I didn't accept it, I lose my account and the software that went with it.

I bought an Android game listed as compatible with my phone. It crashes when I open it. No refunds.

There are no official policies in place with regards to PSN and Xbox Live digital when we enter the next gen. Steam as well.

http://consumerist.com/2012/10/22/amazon-erases-customers-kindle-wishes-her-luck-in-finding-somewhere-else-to-shop/

No resale, no trading, no borrowing, no renting, no real consumer options. You are at the mercy of legal language and the company/publisher/studio's wishes. That's why companies, from video games to films to books, are pushing so hard. This is about control, nothing more, nothing less.

Beyond consumer issues:

Digital content cannot be displayed for preservation purposes in a museum. Imagine walking into a video game museum - of which there are two - and having nothing to show except a list of files.

I like digital for small titles. I love it for indie titles. I like the opportunities it provides to smaller devs. I hate it for everything else.

This hit me straight in my heart.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nickcool1996?feature=mhum
http://sadpanda.us/images/723723-KR3JJKL.jpg
#108SSJ4CHRISPosted 10/28/2012 8:20:41 AM
gamereviewgod posted...

Beyond consumer issues:

This is depressing to read. I feel like I should send you flowers after that.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#109ninja rabbitPosted 10/28/2012 8:44:05 AM
I like having both options available to me.

I like digital downloads for VC games and small titles that normally wouldn't get a retail release. It's nice having GB, GBC, GBA, NES, Game Gear, DSiware, and 3DSiware games on one machine without having to swap carts and carry multiple systems around.

I like actually having physical carts for 'normal' 3DS games. It's a better value and it gives me more options like reselling the cart, keeping it for a display piece, trading or lending the cart to a friend, or whatever else as opposed to digital download.
---
Despite all my rage I'm still just a rabbit in a cage
XBL Gamertag: ninjarabbitmega
#110NarutoPosted 10/28/2012 8:50:04 AM
gamereviewgod posted...

You can get a refund within 15 minutes of buying from Google Play. Granted, some of those larger downloads takes more than 15 minutes from the dev's slow servers, but you should watch out for that.