Why does this board's opinion of digital downloads seem to be entirely negative?

#21Baha05Posted 10/27/2012 8:57:56 AM
Spiffy247 posted...
If you've ever had a younger sibling, you know that on occasion some of your stuff WILL go missing. I have gone to play a game, and it will have mysteriously disappeared. Sometimes with a cousin, nephew, all those people too. I'm still trying to locate my copy of Bowser's Inside Story.

Depends how young and even then you tend to want to hide stuff, there is really not a who lot of excuses in losing SD cards in this day or age. Hell buy a damn cheap like Tupperware container and when you're done toss your SD cards in that and hide it on a shelf or something.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#22Spiffy247Posted 10/27/2012 8:59:55 AM
Baha05 posted...
Spiffy247 posted...
If you've ever had a younger sibling, you know that on occasion some of your stuff WILL go missing. I have gone to play a game, and it will have mysteriously disappeared. Sometimes with a cousin, nephew, all those people too. I'm still trying to locate my copy of Bowser's Inside Story.

Depends how young and even then you tend to want to hide stuff, there is really not a who lot of excuses in losing SD cards in this day or age. Hell buy a damn cheap like Tupperware container and when you're done toss your SD cards in that and hide it on a shelf or something.

It is very easy for stuff to disappear. The way I do things, Physical games just works for me. I'm just pointing out that there are ways for it to commonly occur.
---
I'm clever, vaguely feminine, a vampire, and I wield Dice. PH33R.
The DS and PSP are both outstanding systems. Wally the Equality Weasel says so.
#23chaomaster4000Posted 10/27/2012 9:05:10 AM
A better question would be, what reason do we have to be positive about them? Sure, I could go and buy a larger SD card, keep it somewhere safe and wrap my console in bubblewrap to make sure it doesn't break so I don't lose it all, but with the prices being equal (if not in retail's favour) between retail and DD, with the sole exception of a slight convenience in that I receive games faster, why would I bother?
---
"Hey! Where's MY alien donkey?"
#24iammaxhailmePosted 10/27/2012 9:11:40 AM
I don't mind Digital Downloads when it's done on a platform like Steam where it's very easy to move from computer to computer or do things like that, but on a 3DS where if you lose your 3DS you lose your downloads and things like that.... I'd rather have a cartridge.
---
Best weapon combo in tf2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oUWPbS4450&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.last.fm/user/iammax
#25AkagehisaPosted 10/27/2012 9:12:01 AM
I preffer a physical copy over a digital one anyday,, but with current gen,, since the games are 1 , 2 gigas,,,, but I would love to be able to buy a lot of GBA and DS games digital,,, the idea of having like 20 games stored on your portable is amazing,,, too bad I can't do that with my 3Ds.
#2690sRetroGamingPosted 10/27/2012 9:13:30 AM
Full price ($40 for a digital copy?.. really?)

Not cheaper (should be $20-$25)

No bonuses (wanna charge the full $40?.. throw in 3-4 free VC games of your choice as an incentive and people might actually take the purchase more seriously)

No physical items (games are just not about gameplay.. it's also about what comes with it. artists put effort into artwork and manuals and it's satisfying and enjoyable to actually be able to look at them and read them in person)

No account system (yet) (it's almost 2013.. seriously.. who are the dumbasses that thought this was actually a good idea?.. yeah sure, cause this is totally gonna make people feel safe and secure about their purchases..)

Can't resell (what you do with your stuff should be up to you.. no exceptions!. some people get bored after time and don't care or want the game anymore. so be it!. with physical you CAN sell it. can't with digital)

There you go.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#27Baha05Posted 10/27/2012 9:17:48 AM
90sRetroGaming posted...
Full price ($40 for a digital copy?.. really?)

Not cheaper (should be $20-$25)

No bonuses (wanna charge the full $40?.. throw in 3-4 free VC games of your choice as an incentive and people might actually take the purchase more seriously)

No physical items (games are just not about gameplay.. it's also about what comes with it. artists put effort into artwork and manuals and it's satisfying and enjoyable to actually be able to look at them and read them in person)

No account system (yet) (it's almost 2013.. seriously.. who are the dumbasses that thought this was actually a good idea?.. yeah sure, cause this is totally gonna make people feel safe and secure about their purchases..)

Can't resell (what you do with your stuff should be up to you.. no exceptions!. some people get bored after time and don't care or want the game anymore. so be it!. with physical you CAN sell it. can't with digital)

There you go.

Sounds like entitlement for most of those except the account system.

Because resale isn't really there, well not really it's more like you're getting a refund.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#28Northern_RosePosted 10/27/2012 9:41:53 AM(edited)
You cant buy used digital games long after they have been discontinued. You cant lend a digital game to a friend. You cant trade em in to get a new game when you no longer play them anymore. They put stores like Game Stop out of business. Take away jobs from manufactures and distributors and even retailers. And promote credit card use with insane interest rates. I really don't see how any of this is a good thing.

I guess im a bit older so it could just be my age (35) but I was raised that if I wanted something bad enough I would save up the money to get it, if I couldn't save the money, I didn't want it bad enough.

I was born into a world that didn't have the internet so I'm used to not using it for every little thing I do in life.

Also I prefer to use real cash to buy things with. When you can see it in your hands, when you see how much your giving someone for something, when you see how much you got left over. Well then, thats when you know just how much something is worth. You get a better sense of how much you got and how much your spending.

Its too easy to just type a number into something and buy things, you never notice the money going, its way to easy to get into trouble this way.

Lastly, digital games only serve to make game companies richer buy charging you more while they do less for it. This wouldn't be so bad if that extra money was but back into the games but it isn't. No now we pay for DLC and add ons as well. Testing is a joke now, they used to use gamers to test games but it sure dont look that way no more because there is no way gamers would approve half the crap going into games today and a lot of these control set ups SUCK.

When you buy digital your just paying more and getting a hell of a lot less. But hey its easy right. The only prob is when things are easy they usually aren't worth doing at all.
---
It's not that I don't got a full 6 pack, I just lack the plastic thing that holds it all together.
#29r_m_8_8Posted 10/27/2012 9:49:50 AM
Spiffy247 posted...
Baha05 posted...
r_m_8_8 posted...
I can buy a NES game right now and play it on my NES. In 25 years, will you be able to redownload your games if you lose your SD or your data gets corrupted?

It's possible if the three companies continue to thrive and storage and technology becomes a who lot better. Besides who loses an SD card INSIDE THE SYSTEM?

If you buy exclusively digital games, you'll have more than one SD card after a short while.

Plus SDs can get corrupted relatively easily, it's happened to me several times. If it happens once support for a download service dies you're screwed.
---
Now playing: Code of Princess (3DS)
| 3DS | PS3 | PC | Wii |
#30MinamoPosted 10/27/2012 9:55:00 AM(edited)
Baha05 posted...
Spiffy247 posted...
If you buy exclusively digital games, you'll have more than one SD card after a short while.

True but if you're doing that then you kinda deserve losing them for well not being organized or not putting them in a case or something. Because really it's kinda hard to just lose it.

The same could be said about physical cartridges. You could pack at least 9 games in those lil 3DS game cases they sell at almost every store that carries games. How many times are you swapping games, anyway? Where could you possibly be going that would give you time to get bored of even just two or three games? The only place I could think of is school, and you'd have a book bag, put your games in that.

Baha05 posted...
Sounds like entitlement

And there's the magic word that confirms you as a troll.