Why does this board's opinion of digital downloads seem to be entirely negative?

#31SMASHKING84Posted 10/27/2012 11:00:16 AM
if something happens to my 3ds then i would have to rebuy it and a digital copy of a game.

if i buy retail i can just replace the 3ds. the only reasons to buy digital over retail:retail is hard to find or expensive compared to digital pricing or that's digital only.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4T-0byFY9w
#32n00bsaib0tPosted 10/27/2012 11:01:13 AM
Full price ($40 for a digital copy?.. really?)

Not cheaper (should be $20-$25)

These are the same complaint. Its pretty sad when you have to use the same complaint twice to pad your list to make it look like your point is valid.

You don't actually OWN digital games, and that's a huge problem.

You don't actually own physical games, either. In both cases you own a license to play the content presented to you. EULA. Look it up.

If they decide to take it down from their store, or they go belly up and there IS no store anymore...you're screwed.

Only in the case of the store disappearing. Removed content is ALWAYS still on the store for those who purchased. Trust me, I've redownloaded and gameshared MK2 on PS3, UMK3 on 360, the DKM pack and Dream On for GH3 on 360, etc multiple times since they were removed.

Removed content is removed for future purchase. Its still there if you need to get your game back.

Frankly after what happened on the PS360 I'd have thought more people would realize that DD is trash and only a good option if you can't afford a physical cart.

What happened on PS3 and 360? Account based systems letting you buy a game or content and download it on multiple PS3s and 360s? Thats actually a pretty huge perk.

You cant lend a digital game to a friend. You cant trade em in to get a new game when you no longer play them anymore.

No, but when there are account based systems and the system lets you have multiple accounts (like PS3 and 360) you and a friend can split the cost of a game and then BOTH OF YOU get your own copy.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
Fighting Game Mains - SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | MvC3: C.Viper/Magneto/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero
#33n00bsaib0tPosted 10/27/2012 11:03:48 AM
The same could be said about physical cartridges. You could pack at least 9 games in those lil 3DS game cases they sell at almost every store that carries games. How many times are you swapping games, anyway? Where could you possibly be going that would give you time to get bored of even just two or three games? The only place I could think of is school, and you'd have a book bag, put your games in that.

Have you ever gone on a road trip? How about a 14 hour flight? If the only place you can think to go with your 3DS is school, you have no place participating in the "I'm going somewhere and need to take games" portion of the DD vs physical content argument.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
Fighting Game Mains - SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | MvC3: C.Viper/Magneto/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero
#34MinamoPosted 10/27/2012 11:04:39 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
You don't actually own physical games, either.

This is such an LOL argument. There is nothing they can legally do to stop you from playing your physical copy, regardless of what the EULA leads you to believe. You do, in fact, own your physical games.
#3590sRetroGamingPosted 10/27/2012 11:15:31 AM
Baha05 posted...
90sRetroGaming posted...
Full price ($40 for a digital copy?.. really?)

Not cheaper (should be $20-$25)

No bonuses (wanna charge the full $40?.. throw in 3-4 free VC games of your choice as an incentive and people might actually take the purchase more seriously)

No physical items (games are just not about gameplay.. it's also about what comes with it. artists put effort into artwork and manuals and it's satisfying and enjoyable to actually be able to look at them and read them in person)

No account system (yet) (it's almost 2013.. seriously.. who are the dumbasses that thought this was actually a good idea?.. yeah sure, cause this is totally gonna make people feel safe and secure about their purchases..)

Can't resell (what you do with your stuff should be up to you.. no exceptions!. some people get bored after time and don't care or want the game anymore. so be it!. with physical you CAN sell it. can't with digital)

There you go.

**Sounds like entitlement** for most of those except the account system.

Because resale isn't really there, well not really it's more like you're getting a refund.

Maybe so but that doesn't change the fact that it may help push sales and not push people away from digital.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#36Exceed20XXPosted 10/27/2012 11:17:04 AM
Well here's my take on it:

- Nintendo lacks a viable account system to track purchases, this is a big point of contention for some.
- I get my retail games for LESS than the price of digital games. My last 5 3DS games were $30 new (at launch too), no tax.
- Yes, reselling DOES matter to me. Some games I give a chance and don't like. Those games get resold and recoup the losses. Digital doesn't allow that.
- Really? It's a hassle to carry around these tiny game cards? System cases often hold anywhere from 2-6 carts, then you have game card cases which hold anywhere between 4 and 24 games. It's not a significant chore.

Digital just isn't a prime option for me on either handheld.
---
GBA: DKC1, FF6 ||| 3/DS: MMZ Collection, Okamiden, VLR ||| PSV: MGSHD, SFxT ||| PS3: Doom 3 BFG, RE6
#37OoSubaruoOPosted 10/27/2012 11:24:18 AM
Minamo posted...
Baha05 posted...
Spiffy247 posted...
If you buy exclusively digital games, you'll have more than one SD card after a short while.

True but if you're doing that then you kinda deserve losing them for well not being organized or not putting them in a case or something. Because really it's kinda hard to just lose it.

The same could be said about physical cartridges. You could pack at least 9 games in those lil 3DS game cases they sell at almost every store that carries games. How many times are you swapping games, anyway? Where could you possibly be going that would give you time to get bored of even just two or three games? The only place I could think of is school, and you'd have a book bag, put your games in that.

Baha05 posted...
Sounds like entitlement

And there's the magic word that confirms you as a troll.

How does that confirm him as a troll? Do you know what a troll is?
#38r_m_8_8Posted 10/27/2012 11:25:03 AM
Can you imagine if digital distribution had been here from day one? We would have lost access to TONS of amazing licensed games, or simply games from studios that died a long time ago. Games get pulled from WiiWare/PSN/XBL all the time, there's no way to play them if you didn't buy them at the time.
---
Now playing: Code of Princess (3DS)
| 3DS | PS3 | PC | Wii |
#39n00bsaib0tPosted 10/27/2012 11:27:32 AM(edited)
This is such an LOL argument. There is nothing they can legally do to stop you from playing your physical copy, regardless of what the EULA leads you to believe. You do, in fact, own your physical games.

There is nothing they can legally do to stop you from playing a digital game you've already purchased, short of go out of business after your system breaks. Read my whole post for the details rather than focusing on this. Once the account based system starts, I'll have no real complaint with Nintendo's DD titles aside from the ones you can get on retail being cheaper for a physical copy.

Games get pulled from WiiWare/PSN/XBL all the time, there's no way to play them if you didn't buy them at the time.

Aside from knowing someone that has it, have them sign into their account on your system, go to account settings, my downloads, and download it. I've put pulled titles on multiple systems this way.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
#40Kaze_MemaryuPosted 10/27/2012 11:30:29 AM
I like digital stuff, it helps smaller developing studios bring their games to us, but I don't like retail games being sold digitally - especially since the prices are identical or even higher than in stores.
Also, why would I pay full price when I don't get a booklet/case/cardridge which is included in that price? If they were to drop the price a bit, I would still only do it on digital onl, but it would be fair towards those who can't get the games for whatever reason.
---
"Evil, beware. We have waffles..."
- Raven, Teen Titans