Why does this board's opinion of digital downloads seem to be entirely negative?

#41r_m_8_8Posted 10/27/2012 11:34:10 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Aside from knowing someone that has it, have them sign into their account on your system, go to account settings, my downloads, and download it. I've put pulled titles on multiple systems this way.

That's if there's still support for the download service. We're talking about the future, no one can stop you from buying pretty much any physical game ever made and play it on your system. I just bought Lode Runner for Famicom, for example. Also, I want to buy a WonderSwan, I can buy games for it even if it's a long-dead system. If 3DS was DD only and for some reason Nintendo explodes and dies, the system loses all its value since you can't put games on it anymore.
---
Now playing: Code of Princess (3DS)
| 3DS | PS3 | PC | Wii |
#42r_m_8_8Posted 10/27/2012 11:35:06 AM
Kaze_Memaryu posted...
I like digital stuff, it helps smaller developing studios bring their games to us

This, I don't mind it for studios that can't possibly offer a physical copy of their games.
---
| 3DS | PS3 | PC | Wii |
#43SSJ4CHRISPosted 10/27/2012 11:37:56 AM
Monoculus posted...
Is it really that important that you have a physical case and manual to show off to your friends? Can you not afford the $5 for a larger SD card than the 2GB one that comes with the system? Is reselling or buying used that strong of a point to you people?

I just don't understand why people would choose physical over digital on a handheld system, unless they enjoy having to carry a handful of carts at a time instead of the SD card in their system.

Are you seriously using that stupid argument as a defense? No, people that can afford $40-60 games can't possibly afford $5 more for a larger SD card. Learn some real logic.

Can you not afford gas to drive to a store to get the physical games?

Can you not afford internet at home to buy physical games from online shops?

If you are going to question someone's monetary situation because you like digital games. you are either to young to know what value is, or too ignorant to think that your way is the best way.

Tell me how much your digital games will be worth in a few years when Nintendo is done supporting the 3DS. Not even worth the price you are paying for them today.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225
PSN: phayro_rip
#44Baha05Posted 10/27/2012 11:40:14 AM
SSJ4CHRIS posted...
Tell me how much your digital games will be worth in a few years when Nintendo is done supporting the 3DS. Not even worth the price you are paying for them today.

Of course not it's digital but you do know game value is based on RARITY and not simply having the game. Unless you got the game for free or something the most you are getting for resale is a slight refund unless the game is a rare title.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#45n00bsaib0tPosted 10/27/2012 11:43:06 AM
That's if there's still support for the download service. We're talking about the future, no one can stop you from buying pretty much any physical game ever made and play it on your system. I just bought Lode Runner for Famicom, for example. Also, I want to buy a WonderSwan, I can buy games for it even if it's a long-dead system. If 3DS was DD only and for some reason Nintendo explodes and dies, the system loses all its value since you can't put games on it anymore.

Agreed. I thought you were talking about getting the pulled game right now.

BTW, I'm not saying DD is the greatest thing to ever happen to console gaming, just that its not as horrible an alternative as some make it out to be. As long as it doesn't have some crazy online only DRM preventing me from playing it if the system is down or if the servers are completely shut down (like the classic X-Box and PS2 servers are) I don't mind digital titles. When given a choice, I personally always go with a physical copy just because I like looking at the cases. There are also times where I buy a DD version of a game I already own. I have the VC version of Link's Awakening as well as a physical cart for three reasons- I support games I love, long after the cart battery dies I can still save in the VC version, and I don't have to take a GBC with me on trips to play it.

DD isn't as terrible as some make it sound, Sony has a pretty good set up for it with the accounts and the pricing being reasonable in most cases (you can get a physical copy of some of the PSone classics for a quarter, but some of them still cost up to $30 if not more like a non-green label Symphony of the Night which is much cheaper as a DD title). Once Nintendo gets all of their ducks in a row on DD, the service will be better. I support DD in general, I acknowledge that Nintendo still has a ways to go before their system is perfect.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
Fighting Game Mains - SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | MvC3: C.Viper/Magneto/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero
#46r_m_8_8Posted 10/27/2012 11:43:52 AM
Baha05 posted...
Of course not it's digital but you do know game value is based on RARITY and not simply having the game. Unless you got the game for free or something the most you are getting for resale is a slight refund unless the game is a rare title.

Even a slight refund that you can put towards a new game is better than not being able to lend / trade / sell.
---
| 3DS | PS3 | PC | Wii |
#47Baha05Posted 10/27/2012 11:46:52 AM
r_m_8_8 posted...
Even a slight refund that you can put towards a new game is better than not being able to lend / trade / sell.

But in the long run it's just a never ending refund if people keep doing it.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#48Northern_RosePosted 10/27/2012 11:52:25 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
You cant lend a digital game to a friend. You cant trade em in to get a new game when you no longer play them anymore.

No, but when there are account based systems and the system lets you have multiple accounts (like PS3 and 360) you and a friend can split the cost of a game and then BOTH OF YOU get your own copy.

And the resale comes into play where exactly? So you can split the cost with a friend, you can do that with retail as well. but digital has NO resale value AT ALL. You still cant trade it in and save money on a new game.

You completely missed the point, or avoided it all together. Digital games have no value, they are worthless after you pay for em. They cant be traded to someone else, given to someone else, traded in for store credit to buy a new game or resold.

And why would they bring in an account system now, you people are already throwing money at them without one, they know you will pay inflated prices for digital games that are system based because you already are. And Sony is restricting the number of systems that can be linked to an account. So really keep dreaming but what you guys want ain't gonna happen.
---
It's not that I don't got a full 6 pack, I just lack the plastic thing that holds it all together.
#49n00bsaib0tPosted 10/27/2012 11:53:59 AM

You really think the $3 gamestop wanted to give me was a good "slight refund" for Street Fighter 4 when I went to get my pre-order for Super Street Fighter 4? Pro tip- this wasn't a time when craigslist, e-bay or amazon would get me more money.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
Fighting Game Mains - SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | MvC3: C.Viper/Magneto/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero
#50n00bsaib0tPosted 10/27/2012 12:02:47 PM
And the resale comes into play where exactly? So you can split the cost with a friend, you can do that with retail as well. but digital has NO resale value AT ALL. You still cant trade it in and save money on a new game.

Yeah, you can split the cost of a physical copy but good luck playing online with the friend you split it with.

You completely missed the point, or avoided it all together. Digital games have no value, they are worthless after you pay for em. They cant be traded to someone else, given to someone else, traded in for store credit to buy a new game or resold.

What if you don't plan on trading it in? Have you ever considered this possibility? Especially in the case of fighting games where (unless you just like to mash buttons and you'll never notice the difference) the next one never plays like the previous one, if you like it you're not going to junk it after the new one comes out. Street Fighter 2 doesn't play like Street Fighter Alpha which doesn't play like Street Fighter Alpha 2 which doesn't play like Street Fighter Alpha 3 which doesn't play like Street Fighter 3 which doesn't play like Street Fighter 4 which doesn't play like Street Fighter EX... so when there is a digital version of Street Fighter 4 and you split the cost with a friend you both have it and can play online against eachother. I didn't miss you point, I argued that not every situation falls into your point.

And why would they bring in an account system now, you people are already throwing money at them without one, they know you will pay inflated prices for digital games that are system based because you already are.

Because they ARE bringing in an account based system. Its called the internet, you should use it once in a while. You find out all kinds of cool things.

And Sony is restricting the number of systems that can be linked to an account. So really keep dreaming but what you guys want ain't gonna happen.

I can still put my games on a friends system. If I download Street Fighter 3 Online Edition I'm not going to put that on a PSP or Vita because its not compatible, so needing to put it on my own second system isn't an issue. I can still put it on one friends system (fun fact, I'm aware of the change from 5 to 2). For 360, just one account has to be online to validate that everything on the system was purchased by the accounts on the system. I can download something on my account on a friends 360 and sign out, no content shows up. He signs in, and my content shows up. On my 360 I don't have to be online because its tied to my serial number for offline play, so if my friend isn't online (lets say XBL is down for maintenance) then my digital content wont be there but it will show back up when he signs in. My brother plays Mega Man 9 on his 360 signed into his gamertag despite the fact that Mega Man 9 is tied to my 360's serial number. Microsoft only put an online restriction on shared content.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific