Why does this board's opinion of digital downloads seem to be entirely negative?

#61Baha05Posted 10/27/2012 12:25:07 PM
Minamo posted...
Stop right there. You aren't getting something, making it less "product" than if you bought retail. You pay the same price though, usually more than retail. Not a ripoff though. Nope.

But in reality it's still not because you are getting the MAIN PRODUCT. The box and manual are physical parts yes but you don't need them because the internet exists for one thing, and the manuals don't serve any real purpose anymore.

The fact is you are still getting the game, they still need to make money and the thing is that Digital Distribution isn't some magical thing that all of the fees of physical copies being manufactured, shipped, etc aren't waved away, servers costs money to buy and maintain and there are human workers most likely some doing shifts to make sure this stuff still works.

It's still not a rip off because again YOU ARE GETTING THE MAIN PRODUCT.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#62Sol_ClydePosted 10/27/2012 12:27:02 PM
My opinion would have been positive if the digital copies weren't more expensive than the physical copies in my country.
Bravo Nintendo. Brazil loves you.
---
Want to make the boards a better place?
REPORT bad posts and topics so the moderators can do something about it.
#63packattackPosted 10/27/2012 12:28:19 PM
Baha05 posted...
Minamo posted...
Paying more for literally less is not a ripoff. Greatest argument ever made.

The only thing you aren't getting is a manual and those have been obsolete since games started to add tutorials on how to play the game and the internet. A rip off implies you are getting swindled or something when in fact you are getting the advertized product. Not to mention you aren't paying more for digital, you are paying pretty much the same amount.

You don't have a manual, a case and the resale ability. Don't kid yourself.
---
Single and multiplayer video game highscore competition - over 450 games - www.cyberscore.me.uk
#64Baha05Posted 10/27/2012 12:30:23 PM
packattack posted...

You honestly NEVER have much resale value. Again unless you have a rare game the best you do by selling a game is you get some of your money back, it's not like you are making a profit. The box and manuals? Unless you are a collector these things especialy from games today are WORTHLESS.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#65n00bsaib0tPosted 10/27/2012 12:36:21 PM
Road trip has you in a car, usually with a lot of space. Plenty of room for another 3DS-sized cartridge that holds X amount of games.

Except the DD isn't just an alternative to physical games, some are DD only. I would have to have a GBC, NES and 3DS in the car to play all of these games if DD wasn't an option.

I haven't flown in a while (I'm sure you are always doing those 14 hour flights you mentioned, however)

4 of them in the past 6 months. Some of us are in the military, bro.

but I assume you can still have a carry-on, since you'll be bringing your 3DS with you. Again, another non-issue.

And I would still need to bring an NES, GBC and 3DS in my carry on to play all the games I have downloaded if DD never existed.

These are such specific, rare instances that would happen maybe once a year per person unless you have some insane employment, and they STILL aren't good excuses for DD over physical.

What about DD as the only option? Or do you just stop reading when you disagree with someone and completely ignore everything else they say?
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
Fighting Game Mains - SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | MvC3: C.Viper/Magneto/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero
#66YoungGganonPosted 10/27/2012 12:36:58 PM
I really hate having to go out and buy more memory. Not to mention it would be so easy for someone (like my brother) to just erase my downloaded games from my PS3. Not only that, but they take up so much more memory than a physical copy. Reselling isn't that much of a strong point, especially when Game Stop will try to rip you off most of the time, but I think forcing downloadable games on gamers is just frustrating. It certainly frustrates me, and it's why I refuse to buy a Vita.
---
(Now replaying all of the Kingdom Hearts series)
~Not changing this sig until Morgan Freeman voices a character in Kingdom Hearts.
#67chaomaster4000Posted 10/27/2012 12:37:15 PM
Baha05 posted...
packattack posted...

You honestly NEVER have much resale value. Again unless you have a rare game the best you do by selling a game is you get some of your money back, it's not like you are making a profit.

Who mentioned making a profit? The point is that you can sell physical copies of games to recoup some of your money, while it's impossible to get a penny back from a downloaded copy.

Again, you could go for download-only versions of retail games, but with account issues, higher prices and the lack of any kind of resale ability makes, there seems to be no reason to get downloaded copies unless you're a minimalist international business consultant.
---
"Hey! Where's MY alien donkey?"
#68n00bsaib0tPosted 10/27/2012 12:42:52 PM(edited)
But in reality it's still not because you are getting the MAIN PRODUCT. The box and manual are physical parts yes but you don't need them because the internet exists for one thing, and the manuals don't serve any real purpose anymore

Yet Sony still sees fit to include them. Obviously there must be a market for the manual if Sony thought it was a good idea.

Also, how would you feel if you bought a car that had no stereo and the power window switches taken out (things you don't need to drive the car to keep the example fair, I'm not one of these kids that will compare the manual to the tires or engine) but you still paid the price of a brand new car that had these things installed?

Not to mention it would be so easy for someone (like my brother) to just erase my downloaded games from my PS3.

Sign into the store, go to my downloads, and redownload it. Annoying, yes, but your content is there. Even discontinued games.

Not only that, but they take up so much more memory than a physical copy.

We just established that you have a PS3. I have one myself, and that majority of my newer games FORCE me to install them to play. Even some older ones like MGS4 force you to install. The back of some of my games state they take 4gb, and its MANDATORY. Thats the physical version.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
Fighting Game Mains - SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | MvC3: C.Viper/Magneto/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero
#69Baha05Posted 10/27/2012 12:42:33 PM(edited)
chaomaster4000 posted...
Who mentioned making a profit? The point is that you can sell physical copies of games to recoup some of your money, while it's impossible to get a penny back from a downloaded copy.

Again, you could go for download-only versions of retail games, but with account issues, higher prices and the lack of any kind of resale ability makes, there seems to be no reason to get downloaded copies unless you're a minimalist international business consultant.

Again the prices for the most part are fine though, they are the same as retail. There is also nothing wrong with buying digital either outside the account issue. Unless you are hurting for money one should never resell a game.

n00bsaib0t posted...
Yet Sony still sees fit to include them. Obviously there must be a market for the manual if Sony thought it was a good idea.

Also, how would you feel if you bought a car that had no stereo and the power window switches taken out (things you don't need to drive the car to keep the example fair, I'm not one of these kids that will compare the manual to the tires or engine) but you still paid the price of a brand new car that had these things installed?

Which is good to include digital copies but again most games today actually tell you how to play them and the internet exists.

Also horrible example with the car. Because cars =/= digital media.
---
#70Nickcool1996Posted 10/27/2012 12:41:25 PM(edited)
Baha05 posted...
packattack posted...

You honestly NEVER have much resale value. Again unless you have a rare game the best you do by selling a game is you get some of your money back, it's not like you are making a profit. The box and manuals? Unless you are a collector these things especialy from games today are WORTHLESS.

Sorry for butting in the little argument, but collectors will get you some profit. For example...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3DS-Kingdom-Hearts-3D-Dream-Drop-Distance-Mark-of-Mastery-Collectors-Edition-/281009765314?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item416d7cbbc2

That increased in value by $30 within months. In a year, it will probably be over $120 because of KH's popularity.

Oh, and Metroid Prime Trilogy, because of low quantity, increased by $40 even when used,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/METROID-PRIME-TRILOGY-COLLECTORS-EDITION-Nintendo-Wii-Complete-Guaranteed-/121001895339?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1c2c4665ab

Not much of a profit, but when you have more than 5 games like above that you want to get off your hands...

I also saw Final Fantasy VII being over $500 at a time, and stuff like Radiant Historia being $60. I had many lols.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nickcool1996?feature=mhum
http://sadpanda.us/images/723723-KR3JJKL.jpg