Why does this board's opinion of digital downloads seem to be entirely negative?

#71MinamoPosted 10/27/2012 12:46:46 PM(edited)
Baha05 posted...
Minamo posted...
Stop right there. You aren't getting something, making it less "product" than if you bought retail. You pay the same price though, usually more than retail. Not a ripoff though. Nope.

But in reality it's still not because you are getting the MAIN PRODUCT. The box and manual are physical parts yes but you don't need them because the internet exists for one thing, and the manuals don't serve any real purpose anymore.

The fact is you are still getting the game, they still need to make money and the thing is that Digital Distribution isn't some magical thing that all of the fees of physical copies being manufactured, shipped, etc aren't waved away, servers costs money to buy and maintain and there are human workers most likely some doing shifts to make sure this stuff still works.

It's still not a rip off because again YOU ARE GETTING THE MAIN PRODUCT.

You are getting it at a markup and without packaging. Here's a little pie chart and article for you to ponder over while advocating the current situation of digital distribution:
http://www.stevestreeting.com/2010/02/26/50-of-what-you-pay-for-a-game-is-wasted/

If you refuse to check the article, I'll break it down for you: The retailer cut, distribution cost (bandwidth cost for DD is easily less than 1/4th of retail distribution, if not less), packaging, and returns are a good 35% of the pricing on retail games. Yet with digital distribution, the consumer isn't given a 35% discount. Not even a 10%. In fact, most games on the e-shop are more expensive than retail for the consumer. Publishers are making insane profits with DD. You, as a consumer are getting ripped off.

I'd be fine with digital distribution (however would never use it anyway) if it was priced appropriately, accounts were in place allowing you to play on whichever console/handheld you choose to log into. Right now however, with the exception of most content on Steam, customers are getting ripped off by publishers and are DEFENDING it.

Being complacent about the poor pricing and poor support is only going to lead to its continued occurrence. THAT is why most of this board, the PS3 board, the Vita board, and the 360 board, are overly negative about DD, and that is why the PC board hates EA's Origin service.

n00bsaib0t posted...
What about DD as the only option? Or do you just stop reading when you disagree with someone and completely ignore everything else they say?

Obviously DD is the best option when it is the only option, but it is almost never priced accordingly compared to other games that are similar in content yet have retail releases. You are arguing for the sake of argument. None of the situations you mentioned were credible towards the argument that DD the only/best option to play multiple 3DS games released at both retail and via DD.
#72n00bsaib0tPosted 10/27/2012 12:47:53 PM
Which is good to include digital copies but again most games today actually tell you how to play them and the internet exists.

What about the art? Some times its just cool to have the manual. Absolutely nothing about the internet is going to change that if I didn't get the collectors edition of MvC3 instead of waiting for Capcom to do the inevitable "Super" version and DD of it later even cheaper I wouldn't have the cool comic book. There is more to a manual than reading that B runs and A jumps.

Also horrible example with the car. Because cars =/= digital media.

We are talking about getting the same base product with less bells and whistles for the same price. Digital media doesn't matter at that point, buying less for the same price is the point in question.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
Fighting Game Mains - SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | MvC3: C.Viper/Magneto/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero
#73chaomaster4000Posted 10/27/2012 12:48:49 PM
Baha05 posted...
chaomaster4000 posted...
Who mentioned making a profit? The point is that you can sell physical copies of games to recoup some of your money, while it's impossible to get a penny back from a downloaded copy.

Again, you could go for download-only versions of retail games, but with account issues, higher prices and the lack of any kind of resale ability makes, there seems to be no reason to get downloaded copies unless you're a minimalist international business consultant.

Again the prices for the most part are fine though, they are the same as retail. There is also nothing wrong with buying digital either outside the account issue. Unless you are hurting for money one should never resell a game.

1. In the UK, all retail games are 40 on eshop. There is not one 3DS game out there that retails for 40 on pretty much any website selling retail copies.

2. The account issue is still important. You can't just say "except for this here bad thing, it's not bad". Physical copies don't have the issue; downloaded ones do.

3. That's your value judgement, not mine, and there's no hard reasoning behind it either. But that aside, even if I don't sell the game, I've still got the option to. Why would I intentionally limit myself of options?

Again, I'm not saying don't go for digital copies. I'm just saying that there seems to be no reason to do so. Please do explain what advantages they have, and why they outweigh the higher prices, no resale value and the vulnerability of being tied to the system.
---
"Hey! Where's MY alien donkey?"
#74n00bsaib0tPosted 10/27/2012 12:50:10 PM
Obviously DD is the best option when it is the only option, but it is almost never priced accordingly compared to other games that are similar in content yet have retail releases. You are arguing for the sake of argument. None of the situations you mentioned were credible towards the argument that DD the only/best option to play multiple 3DS games released at both retail and via DD.

Read the entire thread. People are discussing digital media in general, not just games available both through DD and physical cartridges.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
Fighting Game Mains - SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | MvC3: C.Viper/Magneto/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero
#75Baha05Posted 10/27/2012 12:50:45 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
What about the art? Some times its just cool to have the manual. Absolutely nothing about the internet is going to change that if I didn't get the collectors edition of MvC3 instead of waiting for Capcom to do the inevitable "Super" version and DD of it later even cheaper I wouldn't have the cool comic book. There is more to a manual than reading that B runs and A jumps.

We are talking about getting the same base product with less bells and whistles for the same price. Digital media doesn't matter at that point, buying less for the same price is the point in question.

Then you buy retail for the art, though not everyone is going to buy a game for art.

Also no, we aren't talking the same thing, when you are buying a car you are buying something FAR more expensive and more complex. When you are buying a video game you can pretty much lose the box, lose the manual and still have the game and guess what? The game still ******* works, and outside gameplay there isn't anything the manual will tell you outside how to put the game into the console.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#76MinamoPosted 10/27/2012 12:55:27 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...

Read the entire thread. People are discussing digital media in general, not just games available both through DD and physical cartridges.

I've never seen anyone complain, in this thread or elsewhere, that NES/GBA/etc games were digital downloads on the 3DS. I've seen people complain about pricing, I've seen people complain about the availability in their region, I've seen people complaining about being unable to share between consoles/handhelds, all of which are valid complains, and lead to negative posts, but I've never seen anyone complain they can't rebuy, say, Balloon Fight on a retail cartridge for their 3DS. Arguing for the sake of arguments.
#77Baha05Posted 10/27/2012 1:01:22 PM
chaomaster4000 posted...
1. In the UK, all retail games are 40 on eshop. There is not one 3DS game out there that retails for 40 on pretty much any website selling retail copies.

2. The account issue is still important. You can't just say "except for this here bad thing, it's not bad". Physical copies don't have the issue; downloaded ones do.

3. That's your value judgement, not mine, and there's no hard reasoning behind it either. But that aside, even if I don't sell the game, I've still got the option to. Why would I intentionally limit myself of options?

Again, I'm not saying don't go for digital copies. I'm just saying that there seems to be no reason to do so. Please do explain what advantages they have, and why they outweigh the higher prices, no resale value and the vulnerability of being tied to the system.

That's the UK then, here in the US it's pretty much the same

And account is an issue, but there aren't a lot of issues with DD as of right now, half the ones people make are really baffling at best.

And you have the option, but is it really worth it? I mean no matter what the selling option will cost more then simply keeping the game. Because not only are you losing money but you are putting more money into simply going out to resell the game or ship it to someone else.

Also the advantages are convince, not having to waste gas, not having to keep buying a game if say you somehow break a copy or if your system decides to try and eat your disc.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#78n00bsaib0tPosted 10/27/2012 1:05:45 PM
Also no, we aren't talking the same thing, when you are buying a car you are buying something FAR more expensive and more complex. When you are buying a video game you can pretty much lose the box, lose the manual and still have the game and guess what? The game still ******* works, and outside gameplay there isn't anything the manual will tell you outside how to put the game into the console.

And you can lose power windows and your stereo and guess what? The car still ******* works, and outside of listening to music there isn't anything the stereo can do outside of tell you what time it is without looking at your watch.

I've never seen anyone complain, in this thread or elsewhere, that NES/GBA/etc games were digital downloads on the 3DS. I've seen people complain about pricing, I've seen people complain about the availability in their region, I've seen people complaining about being unable to share between consoles/handhelds, all of which are valid complains, and lead to negative posts, but I've never seen anyone complain they can't rebuy, say, Balloon Fight on a retail cartridge for their 3DS. Arguing for the sake of arguments.

There are plenty of people in this thread bashing DD in general, which includes the Virtual Console, PSone classics, the Google Play Store, Steam, etc.

There are some specific complaints about Nintendo in general, but its clear that most people here are just against DD.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
#79Baha05Posted 10/27/2012 1:07:50 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
And you can lose power windows and your stereo and guess what? The car still ******* works, and outside of listening to music there isn't anything the stereo can do outside of tell you what time it is without looking at your watch.

Yeah and you know what? You can fix that. If you have a busted game you have to rebuy it. One of the advantages of a Digital copy is you don't need to re buy it. The car example is still horrible.
---
#80n00bsaib0tPosted 10/27/2012 1:13:05 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...

Yeah and you know what? You can fix that. If you have a busted game you have to rebuy it. One of the advantages of a Digital copy is you don't need to re buy it. The car example is still horrible.

You're completely twisting things to try and win this, but you're failing.

We aren't talking about these things breaking. We are talking about two specific things here:

1)Buying a game with no case or manual. The game still works, but its full price.
2)Buying a car with no windows or stereo. The car still works, but its full price.

These things aren't broken, you just don't have them. No crank to manually roll down the windows, the base model came with power windows but the buttons were removed and the door now has no place to put the buttons. The stereo was removed and now the dash is solid. No place to put these, you'll never have the ability to roll down your windows or install a stereo. What reason do you have to buy that car over the one thats the same price but includes them? Thats the point, and you're doing everything you can to dodge it because "the game still works" without a manual and case. Well so does the car without windows or a stereo.

How about this, I own a store and I sell video games, you come into my store looking for MK7. I sell it to you brand new, but you only get the physical game with no case or manual for $40. Still a good deal? No? Then why is it for DD? If it comes with less, it shouldn't be the same price.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific