Why does this board's opinion of digital downloads seem to be entirely negative?

#81Baha05Posted 10/27/2012 1:19:23 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
We aren't talking about these things breaking. We are talking about two specific things here:

1)Buying a game with no case or manual. The game still works, but its full price.
2)Buying a car with no windows or stereo. The car still works, but its full price.

These things aren't broken, you just don't have them. No crank to manually roll down the windows, the base model came with power windows but the buttons were removed and the door now has no place to put the buttons. The stereo was removed and now the dash is solid. No place to put these, you'll never have the ability to roll down your windows or install a stereo. What reason do you have to buy that car over the one thats the same price but includes them? Thats the point, and you're doing everything you can to dodge it because "the game still works" without a manual and case. Well so does the car without windows or a stereo.

How about this, I own a store and I sell video games, you come into my store looking for MK7. I sell it to you brand new, but you only get the physical game with no case or manual for $40. Still a good deal? No? Then why is it for DD? If it comes with less, it shouldn't be the same price.

But the fact of the matter is that the game doesn't need a box or a manual to work. A car on the other hand unless you are buying used and suck at doing research ALL HAVE WORKING WINDOWS AND STEREOS. They are standards, in fact unless it's a really old car (or a car that lacks these common features), most all cars have some form of being able to roll down the windows or a stereo.

And chances are if one car has these standard things and another car doesn't and they are trying to get the same price THEN that's what you call getting ripped off.

It is not the same when it comes to Digital and Retail Video games because the Base Product is 100% there.

Also in retail no one would sell you a full price game without the case or manuals because that's the NEW GAME price. It's rare you'll ever see that happen because if it's missing things then that is called a Used game.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#82chaomaster4000Posted 10/27/2012 1:22:26 PM(edited)
Baha05 posted...
That's the UK then, here in the US it's pretty much the same

And account is an issue, but there aren't a lot of issues with DD as of right now, half the ones people make are really baffling at best.

Fair enough, if that is the case, but that's still not a point in DD's favour. Regardless of how useless, you still get more product with a physical copy. They should be subtracting the cost of materials from the digital price, not making them equal.

And you have the option, but is it really worth it? I mean no matter what the selling option will cost more then simply keeping the game. Because not only are you losing money but you are putting more money into simply going out to resell the game or ship it to someone else.

Er... what? If I bought a game for 30, and sold it for 15-20 on ebay (as I have numerous times if I've finished a game and decided I don't want to play it again) then you could send it with whatever bells and whistles you like and you'd still be gaining some of your money back. The normal cost of postage of a 3DS game-sized parcel here is in the region of 1 to 2. Most people live within range of a post office, and if you don't then you can buy postage online and post it at any post box. Whatever the situation, it's pretty much impossible not to recoup some of the initial cost. I've still enjoyed the game, and played it to my heart's content, but a lot of games aren't timeless. If I've got all the enjoyment out of a game I'm going to, why hang onto it if it's just going to be a shelf ornament?

Even if you don't sell through ebay, you can sell it to almost any game store and so you don't have to faff around with posting it at all. I have literally no idea how you can say you lose money by reselling games. And again, with downloadable games this is not possible - once the money is spent, it is completely spent, no partial recoup.

Also the advantages are convince, not having to waste gas, not having to keep buying a game if say you somehow break a copy or if your system decides to try and eat your disc.

Buy retail copies of games online if gas is an issue. Most retail websites offer free shipping.

It's harder to break a copy of a game than it is to break your system, and the repercussions of the latter are far greater. If you break your game, that's one game and one save file. If you break your system, it could be any number. Frankly, you'd have to be pretty careless to break your physical game copy - but systems do break down, and over a far shorter time frame than modern games do. If your disc gets scratched you can get it repaired for a far cheaper cost than system repair. If you've literally snapped your disc in half then there's not much I can recommend, other than stop being such a klutz. But, with reference to the 3DS, short of intent with tools I can't see how you'd break your 3DS cartridge. Maybe if you dropped it in a pool of water, but in that case, see the previous sentence for advice.
---
"Hey! Where's MY alien donkey?"
#83n00bsaib0tPosted 10/27/2012 1:38:27 PM
But the fact of the matter is that the game doesn't need a box or a manual to work.

And a car doesn't need a stereo or the ability to roll down the windows to work.

A car on the other hand unless you are buying used and suck at doing research ALL HAVE WORKING WINDOWS AND STEREOS. They are standards, in fact unless it's a really old car (or a car that lacks these common features), most all cars have some form of being able to roll down the windows or a stereo.

And games come with a case and manual. They are standards, its something we've been getting for almost 30 years with our games.

And chances are if one car has these standard things and another car doesn't and they are trying to get the same price THEN that's what you call getting ripped off.

And chances are if one game has a case and manual and another game doen't and they are trying to get the same price THEN that's what you call getting ripped off.

It is not the same when it comes to Digital and Retail Video games because the Base Product is 100% there.

The base product, as a standard set for the past 30 years, is a game, case and manual. But lets just say a working game is the base product, for arguments sake, then I'm spot on with the car. The base product is the car itself, the stereo is an extra like a manual for a game.

Also in retail no one would sell you a full price game without the case or manuals because that's the NEW GAME price. It's rare you'll ever see that happen because if it's missing things then that is called a Used game.

Actually, you can go on the E-shop right now and find quite a few brand new games for sale without a case or manual for full price.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
Fighting Game Mains - SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | MvC3: C.Viper/Magneto/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero
#84SMASHKING84Posted 10/27/2012 1:41:32 PM
the f*** is wrong with you it doesn't matter if YOU find it useless your still paying full price for a incomplete package.

radiant historia cost extra for to bundled with an original sound track would you buy a used copy of it for the same price as that but it doesn't have the sound track?

if you went to a store and saw two versions of a game bot at 35 bucks an one had a special item bundled with it you would get the bundle [i had this happen with pokemon heartgold one version came with the pokewalker one didn't]
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4T-0byFY9w
#85DKU_ArichPosted 10/27/2012 1:55:04 PM
I don't intend to argue/fight with anyone but here are my reasons:

1. Things on the eShop seems horribly overpriced. I'm not paying $40 for Super Mario 3DLand when I can waltz right into my local Target and pay the same price.

Now, I'd probably buy it if it were, say, $25 on the eShop...but $40? Nah. Under every circumstance I couldn't see myself stooping to such prices to play a game.

2. When I buy the game I get a cart, a case, the manual. I happen to collect all of the above--I have all my DS cases and a bunch of GBA boxes...hell, I even have original Game Boy/N64 cartridge boxes saved.

I guess I just like having the physical thing.

3. I personally don't like paying money to have things tied to a device. Aside of a few Wii VC games, I only bought maybe Tetris for my phone several years back. And lo and behold, the phone no longer works. AT THE MOMENT, if anything were to happen to my 3DS I couldn't get any of my digital downloads back. That doesn't resonate well with me at all.

So yeah, cartridges for me, please. If it's digital-only I wouldn't mind shelling out the money, but otherwise, in my opinion it's a huge waste.
#86Baha05Posted 10/27/2012 2:03:10 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
And a car doesn't need a stereo or the ability to roll down the windows to work.

And games come with a case and manual. They are standards, its something we've been getting for almost 30 years with our games.

And chances are if one game has a case and manual and another game doen't and they are trying to get the same price THEN that's what you call getting ripped off.

The base product, as a standard set for the past 30 years, is a game, case and manual. But lets just say a working game is the base product, for arguments sake, then I'm spot on with the car. The base product is the car itself, the stereo is an extra like a manual for a game.

Actually, you can go on the E-shop right now and find quite a few brand new games for sale without a case or manual for full price.

It doesn't need them but they are standard in selling said car, it's really hard to sell a car without working windows and no stereo AT the same price as a new vehicle.

And in said 30 years the content in manuals have decreased to single pamphlets and cases are just a means of placing a game, but unlike cares where window regulators and stereos are expensive you can buy a 10 dollar CD case and hold your games that way. Hey there is a reason why old cartridge boxes are worth money since people throw them away or they get damaged.

The base product has always been the game itself, not the packaging or manual. Because the game alone is what you are buying unless you have other reasons for wanting the case and manual. You pretty much know to a degree with a game what you are buying.

With a car and especially if you are buying a new car it's expected to have all things in order because these are cars, they are more expensive, more complex, and more widely used in the world as a means of travel. If you pay sticker price for a car that is missing stuff then you are a full. That same logic does NOT apply to Digital Copies unless the copy itself is incomplete.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#8790sRetroGamingPosted 10/27/2012 2:21:38 PM
renzsweet posted...
I never sell my games, though I do give some away. I like digital the way ps3 and steam do it, **allowing me to download on multiple systems**, but the vita memory card prices are a bother. I intended to buy more the day after Thanksgiving. On my 3ds, I prefer physical games because I feel Nintendo failed with the VC.

Another problem with digital games and Nintendo. they will never allow this. my niece has Link's Awakening: DX, Donkey Kong 94' and Mario Picross on her 3DS, among others. we're not around eachother all the time. guess what i have to do if i want to play those three games and the others she has?. you got it.. buy them once again. how stupid is that?.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#88Moohaha2Posted 10/27/2012 2:38:25 PM
Baha05 posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...

It doesn't need them but they are standard in selling said car, it's really hard to sell a car without working windows and no stereo AT the same price as a new vehicle.

And in said 30 years the content in manuals have decreased to single pamphlets and cases are just a means of placing a game, but unlike cares where window regulators and stereos are expensive you can buy a 10 dollar CD case and hold your games that way. Hey there is a reason why old cartridge boxes are worth money since people throw them away or they get damaged.

The base product has always been the game itself, not the packaging or manual. Because the game alone is what you are buying unless you have other reasons for wanting the case and manual. You pretty much know to a degree with a game what you are buying.

With a car and especially if you are buying a new car it's expected to have all things in order because these are cars, they are more expensive, more complex, and more widely used in the world as a means of travel. If you pay sticker price for a car that is missing stuff then you are a full. That same logic does NOT apply to Digital Copies unless the copy itself is incomplete.

This analogy with the car really doesn't work at all. Yes you don't get the box, cartridge, manual, but you get 100% of the game. That analogy would only be appropriate if they removed levels, features, etc from the download version, which is never the case as far as I know. The manual of a game that you will look at once and - unless you're a collected - never pay attention to again is not even close to the worth of losing windows and a stereo from a car.
#89DarkGam3rPosted 10/27/2012 2:58:45 PM
OtherSuperPhil posted...
Well, I don't have a negative opinion, I just prefer something tangible on my shelf.

---
"I'm no hero."
#90PsychoWolfXPosted 10/27/2012 3:06:13 PM
Owning the phsyical case is kind of a big deal to me actually. I'm not one of those hardcore collectors who have stacks of games, but I like to be able to look at what I have.

My main beef with Digital is that the internet in my area is horrible and takes forever to download games.