Has the screen scratching issue been fixed?

#1nintendoman562Posted 11/1/2012 11:04:02 AM
My 3DS' screen has two solid lines on both sides of the system and it has gone to the point where it's unbearable. Has this issue been officially fixed so I can use my warranty to get another system?
#2MarsfordPosted 11/1/2012 11:11:00 AM
90% sure it's fixed on the XL.
---
Official Marsford of the NDF
People should really learn the difference between a troll and an idiot.
#3kissdadookiePosted 11/1/2012 11:13:56 AM(edited)
nintendoman562 posted...
My 3DS' screen has two solid lines on both sides of the system and it has gone to the point where it's unbearable. Has this issue been officially fixed so I can use my warranty to get another system?

What part of this not actually being a defect do you folks not understand? It's a clamshell device. It's made of glossy plastic. It's going to scratch itself if you store the system in anything other than a hardshell case or an incredibly loose pocket completely free of dust, crumbs, and other little bits of debris.

Go get it replaced by Nintendo and then while you wait for the system to be shipped back to you, go buy a Hori hard case. Done.

Marsford posted...

Nope, not at all. The reason you hear less about it is due to the size of the XL being pretty much non-pocketable.
#4FenderMasterPosted 11/1/2012 11:22:57 AM
kissdadookie posted...
nintendoman562 posted...

What part of this not actually being a defect do you folks not understand? It's a clamshell device. It's made of glossy plastic. It's going to scratch itself if you store the system in anything other than a hardshell case or an incredibly loose pocket completely free of dust, crumbs, and other little bits of debris.

Go get it replaced by Nintendo and then while you wait for the system to be shipped back to you, go buy a Hori hard case. Done.

Marsford posted...

Nope, not at all. The reason you hear less about it is due to the size of the XL being pretty much non-pocketable.

it's not a defect/unintended issue with the hardware design?

Ah, so Nintendo always intended for the 3DS to close in such a way that it scratched itself?
An unavoidable consequence of clamshell design you say? Well my DS Lite and GBA say otherwise, but what do i know?

a simple remedy would be to insert slightly longer rubber supports on the top screen so that it isn't in direct contact with the hard plastic projecting from the botoom, or to not have the bottom screen project out so much...
---
I know street fighter way better then I know my wife. I keep getting caught in her frame traps -- Lazy Jones
#5JoeHigashi2000Posted 11/1/2012 11:27:13 AM
FenderMaster posted...
kissdadookie posted...
nintendoman562 posted...

Marsford posted...

Ah, so Nintendo always intended for the 3DS to close in such a way that it scratched itself?
An unavoidable consequence of clamshell design you say? Well my DS Lite and GBA say otherwise, but what do i know?

a simple remedy would be to insert slightly longer rubber supports on the top screen so that it isn't in direct contact with the hard plastic projecting from the botoom, or to not have the bottom screen project out so much...

My GB, GBC, and GBA also say otherwise. I have seen scratching on a GBA SP from dust on the control pad half but not so much the screen.
---
GT: J03HIG45HI PSN PS3/Vita: JoeHigashi2000 3DS FC: 0817-3804-7210
#6stargazer64Posted 11/1/2012 11:29:13 AM
kissdadookie posted...

Marsford posted...

Nope, not at all. When I first got my 3DS you could tell that the bottom raised lip of the touch screen was contacting the top screen. Since it was leaving lines on the screen.

Does that problem exist on the XL? No.
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#7kissdadookiePosted 11/1/2012 11:35:51 AM(edited)
FenderMaster posted...

No, they didn't intend for people to jam these things in tight pockets with crumbs and what not in there. Under normal use and storage, the systems don't scratch themselves. Why do you think some people find this a problem and some don't? Because not everybody are stupid enough to jam these things into tight pockets or tight spaces with blatant disregard with dust and debris in them (have you folks checked your pockets recently? LOTS of crud builds up in there).

stargazer64 posted...

Nope, not at all. When I first got my 3DS you could tell that the bottom raised lip of the touch screen was contacting the top screen. Since it was leaving lines on the screen.

Does that problem exist on the XL? No.

If you had that problem with the original, why don't you carry the XL the SAME EXACT WAY as you did for the original and report back after two months?

JoeHigashi2000 posted...

My GB, GBC, and GBA also say otherwise. I have seen scratching on a GBA SP from dust on the control pad half but not so much the screen.

That's because of the sizes of the screens. The 3DS has a very wide screen. It also has just one panel of glossy top screen cover. The GB's had a screen area that weren't anywhere as wide thus less surface area for it to rub against the controls.
#8stargazer64Posted 11/1/2012 11:35:41 AM
@ Dookie

When I first got it. As in, when I took it out of the box and played it for the second time after shutting it.

The bumpers on the original weren't long enough. And they would bend if too much pressure was applied to them. The XL doesn't have this problem.
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#9kissdadookiePosted 11/1/2012 11:40:43 AM(edited)
stargazer64 posted...
@ Dookie

When I first got it. As in, when I took it out of the box and played it for the second time after shutting it.

The bumpers on the original weren't long enough. And they would bend if too much pressure was applied to them. The XL doesn't have this problem.

Again, did your original unit scratch? If it did, then treat and store the XL THE SAME EXACT WAY and see if it scratches or not. Don't come on here throwing around your assumptions about what's going on as if it's the actual cause.

IF your original suffered from self scratching AND you have a XL, TREAT AND STORE THE XL THE SAME EXACT WAY AS YOU DID WITH THE ORIGINAL. If it doesn't scratch, then there is your definitive answer, that the XL is improved, if it does scratch, that tells you the same damn common sense I've been trying to explain here.

The reality is, if anything, the XL has LOWER bumpers than the original model. Yes, I said LOWER. Thus why you don't see as much flexing with the XL as you did with the original. The original would STILL flex even if the bumpers ran all around the screen. Probably less likely to get dust in between there which causes the scratching if it had a full perimeter bumper since that would act like a seal of sorts.
#10FenderMasterPosted 11/1/2012 11:38:56 AM
kissdadookie posted...

No, they didn't intend for people to jam these things in tight pockets with crumbs and what not in there. Under normal use and storage, the systems don't scratch themselves. Why do you think some people find this a problem and some don't? Because not everybody are stupid enough to jam these things into tight pockets or tight spaces with blatant disregard with dust and debris in them (have you folks checked your pockets recently? LOTS of crud builds up in there).

I see... So it's the lint and biscuit crumbs in my pockets that are causing large vertical scratches to occur on the top screen in the exacts same position where the raised plastic of the bottom screen meets the top screen while closed.

Logic and reason win again!
---
I know street fighter way better then I know my wife. I keep getting caught in her frame traps -- Lazy Jones