A 3DS Super Smash Bros. just feels like a waste of time

#61MewtwoExPosted 11/12/2012 11:31:30 AM
Danspurt posted...
The only sacrifice I see are the 3D snapshots, but face it, it took a whole lot less than three games to realize that friends pausing all the time got annoying.
All they'd have to do is reuse the hitboxes and create new animations on top of those, it's not like they have to make exact projections of the 3D models.

What's the problem?

Problem is, going from 3D to 2D seems like a step backwards
And lets be realistic, 3D models are better received than a pixelated close up sprite
---
http://dunzi.wippiespace.com/pics/trollin-hatin.jpg
#62DanspurtPosted 11/12/2012 12:13:01 PM(edited)
I disagree on the first part. 2D graphics can add a flare that most 3D titles just can't handle without huge amounts of work. I mostly feel 2.5D games are better off going all 2D, just because it's easier to see where platforms end, and they can do so much more with 2D characters with less work.
I mean, have you never looked at some Nintendo artwork and just wished a game could look like that? Yet the intense work behind creating something like that in a 3D environment stops them from even trying.

And well, I'm not sure what the 3DS can handle on the 2D front. It had that port of Rayman Origins, which has great 2D graphics, but it had its slowdowns and whatnot. But it's not the first time a port suffers from technical difficulties.
I lack a reference to comment on how well it would be handled on the 3DS.

And well, maybe I'd like to see it on the Wii U... ;)
---
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never really know how accurate they actually are" - Abraham Lincoln
#63adampeltzPosted 11/12/2012 12:45:02 PM
Danspurt posted...
I disagree on the first part. 2D graphics can add a flare that most 3D titles just can't handle without huge amounts of work. I mostly feel 2.5D games are better off going all 2D, just because it's easier to see where platforms end, and they can do so much more with 2D characters with less work.
I mean, have you never looked at some Nintendo artwork and just wished a game could look like that? Yet the intense work behind creating something like that in a 3D environment stops them from even trying.

And well, I'm not sure what the 3DS can handle on the 2D front. It had that port of Rayman Origins, which has great 2D graphics, but it had its slowdowns and whatnot. But it's not the first time a port suffers from technical difficulties.
I lack a reference to comment on how well it would be handled on the 3DS.

And well, maybe I'd like to see it on the Wii U... ;)

Smoothly animated sprites require far more work than 3D models.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | SSB Brawl FC: 3095-4658-7188
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691;
#64Dark_Link92Posted 11/12/2012 1:26:11 PM
I don't like this idea either. Well, I like the idea, but I don't think it would be any good, especially on the regular 3DS- might be better on the XL. The Vita could do it better though. I hope it gets canned and they focus efforts on making the Wii U version better and quicker.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#65WiiFan77Posted 11/12/2012 1:28:58 PM
Dark_Link92 posted...
I hope it gets canned

Considering the number of people who want a handheld version, I think that's quite greedy of you.
---
???
#66Dark_Link92Posted 11/12/2012 1:32:40 PM
That's just my opinion. Honestly though, I don't think it will look any good, and it will feel a bit too cramped, especially on the regular 3DS. I'd like to be proved wrong, but I doubt I will be.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#67WiiFan77Posted 11/12/2012 1:39:01 PM(edited)
...I'd like to share my argument with you, but judging by your last post, I have a feeling it would be pointless. >_>
---
???
#68DanspurtPosted 11/12/2012 1:52:12 PM
adampeltz posted...
Smoothly animated sprites require far more work than 3D models.

Oh yeah, to clarify, I don't think they need to use frame by frame sprite images. Cheat a little, like the two recent Rayman games, that divides characters into several parts to animate each more efficiently. Put energy into making the models look great instead.

I mean, the Smash Bros games already have those quick, responsive, "slap-sticky" animations that you can see in the Rayman games as well.
---
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never really know how accurate they actually are" - Abraham Lincoln
#69Clutch716Posted 11/12/2012 1:56:46 PM
Everything being considered its a little too early to speculate the problems it could have. One a good note this is going to be Sakarai's 2nd 3ds game and kid Icarus was a very good looking game. Considering there has never been a portable smash bros. game I'm sure won't disappoint.