People complain about too much handholding in recent nintendo games

#21Kenichi34Posted 11/9/2012 1:09:00 PM
Aaantlion posted...
That new Epic Mickey is beyond godawful due to the epic amount of tutorialing it forces you through.

You mean the Power of Illusion demo? Well, considering it's THE BEGINNING of the game, getting a tutorial for what you have in your arsenal is a given at that point in the game...
---
GT: Kenichi340
"What was the point of that pregnant pause!?" - Edgeworth
#22emagdnEPosted 11/9/2012 1:16:00 PM
Most importantly, it's not a TTYD clone so it sucks because change hurts.

just because NSMB2 and Black/White 2 were rehash sequels doesn't mean ALL sequels are rehash sequels, take TTYD for instance..... is it a rehash of the original Paper Mario?

or is SMB3 a rehash of SMB1?

sequels are fine when they have actual effort put into them

but change for the sake of change is never a good thing
---
Note to self: Cannon highly effective against flesh. -Mimiron
#23n00bsaib0tPosted 11/9/2012 1:16:25 PM
Aaantlion posted...
That new Epic Mickey is beyond godawful due to the epic amount of tutorialing it forces you through.

You mean the Power of Illusion demo? Well, considering it's THE BEGINNING of the game, getting a tutorial for what you have in your arsenal is a given at that point in the game...

I haven't played it yet, is the tutorial mandatory? Thats my biggest complaint with a lot of games, 10 play throughs and I still have to do the damn tutorial? SMRPG was awesome for this, they asked you if you knew how to do stuff and if you said yes they moved on without forcing you to do a tutorial.

And looking around GameFAQs, it seems like hand holding is what people want. We get the same topic made weekly, some times daily, no one bothers to use the search feature or even google. People post the same questions that get asked repeatedly and then some of them even get mad when you won't answer them or direct them to the answer rather than spoon feed them. This is why games are leaning toward the hand holding like they are, the vast majority aren't capable of doing anything for themselves.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#24_Candice_Posted 11/9/2012 1:16:37 PM
r_m_8_8 posted...
I still read it as "OMGZ kill change with fire!".

Thats how you read valid criticisms? Strange..

It may shock you, but some of us (who loved the original two games) actually like SPM and PMSS being more platformer than RPG. Super Paper Mario is even the most successful title in the series. So IntSys is actually listening to their fans if anything, sucks to be a vocal minority.

Paper Mario had already created its identy. Now when you keep removing pieces of the game that make Paper Mario "Paper Mario", you might as well not be playing Paper Mario.

Make sense?

Not saying its not an enjoyable game but Im sure if you had Call of Duty or Final Fantasy rebranded as "Paper Mario", you would still like it too (Unconditionally even).
#25TerotrousPosted 11/9/2012 1:18:04 PM
r_m_8_8 posted...
Terotrous posted...
Change is fine, but SPM was a terrible game.

I respectfully disagree. It's honeslty a very strong "game of the generation" candidate for me across all the systems I own.

Then you really need to play more games. SPM is either the slowest, easiest, worst-paced platformer ever, or an absurdly easy and slow action-RPG with a bland combat system that has no depth.

And whichever one it is, the flip mechanic is one of the worst gameplay mechanics of all time, requiring you to flip back and forth between 2D and 3D every 5 seconds of gametime because there's a timer on how long you can stay in 3D mode but you still need to explore every inch of every area using it. Expect 20% of your total game time to be watching that flip animation.

Music, graphics, and story are all fine, but it may be the closest to a 0 for gameplay of any game I've ever played.

If you want a platformer / RPG hybrid for the love of god play Castlevania or something.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GEN Alien Soldier"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#26OtherSuperPhilPosted 11/9/2012 1:19:17 PM
"SPM is either the slowest, easiest, worst-paced platformer ever"

Can we do away with the obnoxious hyperbole on this site? It's... well, obnoxious.
---
Most stupidly overused words on GameFAQs: rehash, shovelware, troll, fanboy, gimmick, casual, hardcore
www.superphillipcentral.com
#27_Candice_Posted 11/9/2012 1:21:09 PM
Its an opinion. No one said you have to like it or agree with it.
#28TerotrousPosted 11/9/2012 1:38:07 PM(edited)
OtherSuperPhil posted...
"SPM is either the slowest, easiest, worst-paced platformer ever"

Can we do away with the obnoxious hyperbole on this site? It's... well, obnoxious.

None of that is hyperbole. Let's back it all up:

Try to find me another platformer where the character moves slower than you do in this game. It's certainly the slowest Mario platformer. I'm sure you'd have to go back to the NES to find a slower one and even then I'm not readily coming up with much. Even Simon Belmont is probably quicker on his feet than Mario is in this game.

Barely anything needs to be said about easiest. First of all, in most platformers, you can take like 3 hits before dying. In this one, you have an HP bar so you can take 10+. You can also use healing items to refill your already ridiculous volume of health. You'd have to try really, really hard to die in this game.

And as for pacing? The aforementioned flipping issue is a huge one, you're forced to comb over every inch of the game twice, enduring that flipping animation constantly, which is obviously going to slow the already slow game down a lot more. Beyond this, the fact that it has RPG elements also slows it down, you spend a lot of time talking to people rather than playing the game and there are entire levels that have little to no real platforming (like the horrible treadmill level). This might be tolerable if the RPG elements were fun but they aren't.

So yeah, it's not hyperbole. The game really is that bad. I've played well over 200 platformers and 100 RPGs and this game is easily in the bottom 10 for both. What I want to hear is an explanation of how anyone got any enjoyment out of this nonsense.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GEN Alien Soldier"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#29shampoowarriorPosted 11/9/2012 1:59:48 PM
I didn't mind the flipping animation but SPM world 6 was probably the least fun I ever had playing a video game in gen 7.
---
Official Alice of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://backloggery.com/shampoowarrior
#30n00bsaib0tPosted 11/9/2012 2:15:44 PM
Barely anything needs to be said about easiest. First of all, in most platformers, you can take like 3 hits before dying. In this one, you have an HP bar so you can take 10+. You can also use healing items to refill your already ridiculous volume of health. You'd have to try really, really hard to die in this game.

In SM64 you have like 6 hits and there are multiple ways to refill your health. It that can still be a good game, I don't see this as a reason to knock SPM.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile