People complain about too much handholding in recent nintendo games

#31AnclationPosted 11/9/2012 1:29:29 PM
Basically, people will complain about Nintendo's current approach, but when Nintendo tries something new they'll complain about that and talk about how the old approach was so much better. Some fans are worse about this than others though (*cough* the Zelda fanbase *cough*).
#32vectorman5Posted 11/9/2012 1:35:35 PM
Because the people complaining are ALWAYS the same people.
---
If the Sega Master System was a speed bump to the NES, the Atari 7800 was a tire-staining squirrel.
#33majora123Posted 11/9/2012 1:39:57 PM
TC is 6 months too late, but is still right. Compare the NSMB 2 board to the Sticker Star board.

NSMB 2: It's a rehash/same old same old.
Sticker Star: Not the same as the first two/too different.

Just play the damn game and have fun.
---
FC's in profile 3DS: 4511-0558-2564 Message if u add me. I welcome all requests!
#34wobbuffet10Posted 11/9/2012 1:55:19 PM
SPM is slow and easy. It's still a 9/10 game imo.
---
backloggery.com/melatonin
soundcloud.com/z-plan
#35HakaiVeilPosted 11/9/2012 2:27:38 PM
Handholding and nothing at all are at opposite sides of the spectrum.

Believe it or not, there IS a medium point.

Megaman X met that point. It presented you with easy obstacles in the intro stage that you could work out your moves on. Didn't know you can jump-climb? Well, it presented you a wall you had to do so on.

What a lot of people don't like, is the game pointing out the obvious.

"Gee, THANKS Fi. There is only one direction for me to go, AND I was just told what to do before getting here. But no. I NEEDED you to tell me to go forward and flip the switch in the building ahead of me. THANK you. I have no short-term memory and this is all so NEW to me."
#36nonexistingheroPosted 11/9/2012 2:31:59 PM
Skyminxyz posted...
r_m_8_8 posted...
Most importantly, it's not a TTYD clone so it sucks because change hurts.

*Sigh*, seriously though most wouldn't complain about PM changing if this wasn't the Second time in a row.

LIke IF we had 64,TTYD,SPM,(insert a PM game similar to the first 2), THEN SS,and another traditional PM game then nobody would really care.

In other words, change is okay depending how how you change something, but when you realize there are as many Non-Classic PM games now as their are traditional it gets kinda of annoying. Heck if PaperMario makes another "weird" game on the Wii-U there will be MORE odd one's then classic xD.

And there was also nothing wrong with TTYD in the first place. It's one of the best RPG's ever made. Meanwhile, Nintendo is desperately trying to fix what isn't broken.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#37nonexistingheroPosted 11/9/2012 2:31:59 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#38chrfourPosted 11/9/2012 2:33:03 PM
majora123 posted...
Compare the NSMB 2 board to the Sticker Star board.

NSMB 2: It's a rehash/same old same old.
Sticker Star: Not the same as the first two/too different.

THIS. There will always be people who complain about any given game.
---
3DS FC: 2320-6610-8180
(Feel free to add me, just let me know so I can add you too)
#39Delirious_BeardPosted 11/9/2012 2:47:10 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Barely anything needs to be said about easiest. First of all, in most platformers, you can take like 3 hits before dying. In this one, you have an HP bar so you can take 10+. You can also use healing items to refill your already ridiculous volume of health. You'd have to try really, really hard to die in this game.

In SM64 you have like 6 hits and there are multiple ways to refill your health. It that can still be a good game, I don't see this as a reason to knock SPM.

Damn, I must have forgotten the part of SM64 where you can upgrade your health to make the game even easier. Or where you could hold onto coins in an inventory and use them later when you're low on health. Hell, you may have had a decently sized health pool, but some enemies really take out quite a bit of it with just one hit.

And finally, Super Mario 64 is a 3D Platformer. Just about every 3D platformer has a health system, because the games are much more open and longer.

What a dumb post.
---
This sig will not change until J.P. Howell and Carlos Pena are released or sent down from the Tampa Bay Rays.
http://i34.tinypic.com/adnlsk.jpg
#40n00bsaib0tPosted 11/9/2012 3:21:22 PM
Damn, I must have forgotten the part of SM64 where you can upgrade your health to make the game even easier. Or where you could hold onto coins in an inventory and use them later when you're low on health. Hell, you may have had a decently sized health pool, but some enemies really take out quite a bit of it with just one hit.

So are you saying that the Mega Man X games are bad for allowing expandable health and the ability to stock health refills in a platformer?

And finally, Super Mario 64 is a 3D Platformer.

Yeah, we're all aware of this. If you could actually comprehend what you read, you would know how pointless it is to say this. The post I responded to specifically stated that having multiple hits in a platformer is the issue with SPM.

Just about every 3D platformer has a health system, because the games are much more open and longer.

There are tons of 2D platformers that do the same thing too. Mega Man, Zelda 2, Tomba, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden and even Mario with the power ups and Sonic with the rings have health systems. Basically, the post I replied to said that platformers that let you take more than 3 hits are too easy. He just said that Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden are too easy because you can take more than 3 hits. He has problems with using healing items to refill "ridiculous volumes of health"? Mega Man? Metroidvanias? These are now bad games by the arbitrary standards he tries to hold SPM to.

What a dumb post.

And to top of not knowing what the hell you're talking about, you insult me. Gotta love GameFAQs.

Okay, here is the break down guys... Having lots of health and being able to stock health refills are not grounds for a game being bad. You have plenty of health in SM64, Mega Man, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, and many other games. There are others like Wario Land 2 and 3 where its virtually impossible to die. You get hit and you just take some enemy effect like becoming a zombie until you reach light. Some how being immortal is okay but having 10 hits in SPM is bad? Note that I didn't argue his other points? SPM wasn't that great, there are various reasons. The health issue he made up just to try and make it sound worse than it is isn't a reason for it being bad.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile