IGN - Paper Mario Sticker Star only an 8.3

#61JKatarnPosted 11/9/2012 5:58:25 PM
AkaneJones posted...
Actually reviews of Nintendo games are down across the board. They are all in the 8s at the moment since Kid Icarus. I think it may be a sneak tactic. Nintendo games sell regardless, 3rd parties have been using the old excuse that they can't compete with Nintendo. So most of these game sites are told not to hype the scores up, not that the quality is any different.

This should help cut down excuses if 3rd party don't sell. I admit it's only a theory and the 3DS like the DS does need the cut down for 3rd Parties, since Nintendo has always held them on hand helds. But it is still something to consider since there been a long standing idea that games get pay offs for high reviews. Nintendo has never been immune to that either, many people had the long standing belief that Nintendo over rated there own games in Nintendo Power, even if it wasn't true.

We can't use this Paper Mario as any kind of gage, though. Remember that Super Paper Mario git plenty of 9s, and the best things that had to offer were Story and Music not game play. There is always the question of back lash from over rating. Or the very fact that the reviewer actually liked Super Paper Mario over the first two. We could also have Anti-RPG reviewers, those people who was a Mario RPG and nothing else, or those who will except nothing else but Thousand-year Door copy pasta.

Unfortunately Reviewers like lots of other things are becoming very opinion based, getting an objective opinion is becoming less common. I blame the internet, smart phone, twitering, web junkie culture that is currently being raise and bred now. Anonymity on the Internet for kids raised on them, with no manners, and no retribution for anything thing they say, helps cement the idea that trolling and overstating everything is, oh kei. It just farms haters and over opinionated people you can't trust. It also lets BSer get around, you have no checks to tell if they played what they are reviewing.

There's no such thing as an objective opinion - your opinion will be colored by your past experiences (in this case, games played, favorite games etc.) - you're never going to see a completely objective review, which is good as it would be very boring to read, and there'd be no reason to employ different reviewers. I think the problem is that most people use "objective" to mean "coincides with my opinion of a game". Not every review is going to agree, and quite frankly there are many games out today (Civilization V springs to mind) that are vastly overrated, with just about every review glossing over or not mention flaws/technical problems with the game.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#62AkaneJonesPosted 11/9/2012 6:14:59 PM
JKatarn posted...

There's no such thing as an objective opinion - your opinion will be colored by your past experiences (in this case, games played, favorite games etc.) - you're never going to see a completely objective review, which is good as it would be very boring to read, and there'd be no reason to employ different reviewers. I think the problem is that most people use "objective" to mean "coincides with my opinion of a game". Not every review is going to agree, and quite frankly there are many games out today (Civilization V springs to mind) that are vastly overrated, with just about every review glossing over or not mention flaws/technical problems with the game.

That style of semantics you are arguing is part of the problem. People go there is no objective opinion, so I shouldn't even try. Then you get them writing up review on their hatred of a game series, want a copy pasta sequel, or crapping on the copy pasta because its the thing to hate on. The problem is you should try, if you are a professional reviewer that is going to be taken seriously. Other wise all reviewers should be obliged to tell us that at they have no interest in the game they are reviewing, hate the genre, or want a very specific thing at the start that the clearly isn't going to provide. And if it's clearly coloured that way those review should get excluded from meta-critic style sites, like reader reviews.
#63ybro845Posted 11/9/2012 6:21:23 PM
Second_Chances posted...

IT'S OVER NINTENDO IS FINISHED

Just imagine if it was a 7.0...

"RUINED FOREVER!!!!!"
---
"The extra "h" is for HAMAZING!" - Thanatos, Kid Icarus: Uprising
Pokemon White Friend Code: 4298 7573 9090
#64JKatarnPosted 11/9/2012 7:08:24 PM(edited)
AkaneJones posted...
JKatarn posted...

That style of semantics you are arguing is part of the problem. People go there is no objective opinion, so I shouldn't even try. Then you get them writing up review on their hatred of a game series, want a copy pasta sequel, or crapping on the copy pasta because its the thing to hate on. The problem is you should try, if you are a professional reviewer that is going to be taken seriously. Other wise all reviewers should be obliged to tell us that at they have no interest in the game they are reviewing, hate the genre, or want a very specific thing at the start that the clearly isn't going to provide. And if it's clearly coloured that way those review should get excluded from meta-critic style sites, like reader reviews.

It's called personal opinion, you cannot expect every reviewer out there to write absolutely glowing/scathing reviews of every game - it's not going to happen, but chances are, if a game has certain core qualities you'll see a good deal of concordance on metacritic etc. You might overlook glaring flaws in a game that most reviewers don't, due to being a fan of said series and having an emotional attachment to that series. Case in point: Duke Nukem Forever was universally critically panned for stale and dated gameplay and graphics, and crude and debased humor, and yet you'll still see pockets of people on forums here and there ardently defending the game for various reasons.

Of course liking a game not everybody else enjoys is fine, it's when people are deadset that everyone must agree that a certain game deserves a certain score that' there's a problem. Of course as I mentioned earlier, I've played a few games that were critically swooned over that had gameplay or technical issues that were never discussed in the reviews, so you can't completely trust critics. I use metacritic and sites like it as well as gameplay videos as guidelines to determine whether I might like a game, as well as comments on sites such as this. It can be hard to filter out all the noise to ascertain the genuine qualities/flaws in a game - people can be pretty petty when it comes to games.

Also, I think this is relevant to this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko1sklmOR9E
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#65Trailblazer34Posted 11/9/2012 7:32:12 PM
Mariofan15 posted...
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/06/paper-mario-sticker-star-review

Oh Nintendo, see what happens when you take away traditional attacks and rely on stickers. Only an 8.3

Like an 8.3 is a bad score -_-.
#66ceedofevilPosted 11/9/2012 7:45:58 PM
Give me one reason why 8.3 is a bad or not good enough rating.
---
"I don't think this is funny. I wasted my time entering." -GameFAQ's new slogan.
#67Unbridled9Posted 11/9/2012 7:57:36 PM
TTYD only got an 87 overall on meta-critic. An 83 is more than fine in my book.
---
If you love a person, it doesn't matter if they cheat.
If you love a person, you won't cheat.
#68Ice PulsePosted 11/9/2012 8:31:27 PM
Luigi's Mansion got a 7.

I'm not worried.
---
I am error.
#69Delirious_BeardPosted 11/9/2012 8:35:27 PM
Ice Pulse posted...
Luigi's Mansion got a 7.

I'm not worried.

That's a fair score though.
---
This sig will not change until J.P. Howell and Carlos Pena are released or sent down from the Tampa Bay Rays.
http://i34.tinypic.com/adnlsk.jpg
#70DetectiveKTTPosted 11/9/2012 9:14:57 PM
Thats a great score, keep in mind too that's the 4th entry of the franshise
I say a game is very good, enjoyable and buyable if it get at least a 7.5/10
---
BobbyJackson100