Really enjoying Paper Mario Sticker Star

#1melchiahdimPosted 11/12/2012 6:44:07 AM
I admit I was a little apprehensive picking up the game yesterday, what with all the negativity that has been going around about Paper Mario. I've never played much of the past Paper Mario games (I have the original on Wii Virtual console and I have Super Paper Mario, but I haven't played more than a couple hours of either) so I have no attachment to the gameplay of the past games. But the lack of experience, partners and all the other things people have complained about was kinda turning me off.

But if the overblown control issues in Kid Icarus Uprising taught me anything, its to not listen to the complainers on this board.

This game feels like a fresh breath of air compared to the other 3DS Mario games (this coming from someone who loves SM3DL and NSMB2). The music is fun and original. The graphics and 3D are really well done. The battle system is very different from what I'm used to, and while I feel I need to play more to form a better opinion of it, so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'm only a couple hours in, but I don't see how my opinion could change that much after more gametime.

I'm definitely glad I bought this game. Its obviously not perfect, but it has the signature Paper Mario charm. And I respect Intelligent Systems for taking the risk in changing the gameplay so drastically.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0516-8714-1928
#2CrimsonRoyalPosted 11/12/2012 7:09:31 AM
Okay.
---
Always expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed.
#3SullyTheStrangePosted 11/12/2012 7:10:22 AM
melchiahdim posted...
I've never played much of the past Paper Mario games

And that's why.
---
All's fair in love and war, kid.
#4melchiahdim(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2012 7:18:29 AM
SullyTheStrange posted...
melchiahdim posted...

And that's why.

So it can't just be because I'm appreciating unique gameplay?
---
3DS Friend Code: 0516-8714-1928
#5DeathSnipe777Posted 11/12/2012 7:28:52 AM
I've played all the Paper Mario games and I still have the same opinion as TC about Sticker Star.
---
3DS FC: 3609-1047-7032
PSN: Marlouchu
#6EvilSock1990Posted 11/12/2012 7:29:24 AM
melchiahdim posted...
melchiahdim posted...

And that's why.

So it can't just be because I'm appreciating unique gameplay?

ignore people like that.

their complaints boil down to a simple "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah it's not teh saem!"
---
Brought to you by PlayStation Vita Cinema snack Fun Land - Gotta breed 'em all.
I'm kinda sticky from the charmander thing. -Socky
#7Kitt ThrustPosted 11/12/2012 7:33:55 AM
Sounds great. Thanks tc, it will definitely be my next game.
---
Go Go Big Underpants !
http://i.imgur.com/iAJrs.gif
#8darod2007Posted 11/12/2012 7:35:14 AM
I would argue that you're a better judge if you didn't play the previous entries. You would be judging as a standalone title and would not have any preconceived notions or expectations of the game. You would just simply be rating the game of its own merits.
---
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/1892/top102.jpg
"You come at the king, you best not miss."
#9SkyminxyzPosted 11/12/2012 7:35:34 AM
melchiahdim posted...
I admit I was a little apprehensive picking up the game yesterday, what with all the negativity that has been going around about Paper Mario. I've never played much of the past Paper Mario games (I have the original on Wii Virtual console and I have Super Paper Mario, but I haven't played more than a couple hours of either) so I have no attachment to the gameplay of the past games. But the lack of experience, partners and all the other things people have complained about was kinda turning me off.

But if the overblown control issues in Kid Icarus Uprising taught me anything, its to not listen to the complainers on this board.

This game feels like a fresh breath of air compared to the other 3DS Mario games (this coming from someone who loves SM3DL and NSMB2). The music is fun and original. The graphics and 3D are really well done. The battle system is very different from what I'm used to, and while I feel I need to play more to form a better opinion of it, so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'm only a couple hours in, but I don't see how my opinion could change that much after more gametime.

I'm definitely glad I bought this game. Its obviously not perfect, but it has the signature Paper Mario charm. And I respect Intelligent Systems for taking the risk in changing the gameplay so drastically.

*Sigh*, if your one of the people who want to thanks IS for changing the gameplay again, then your better off just playing a different game, seriously. I mean I'll still get the game, but will half regret buying it at full price.. <.<

On another note you'll find this game to be much shorter than other Paper Mario games, a more "casual feel" than usual for PM terms (lack of one huge world, no exp means battles will get repetitive if you stay in the same level for too long. (By that I mean you let's say grind for coins in 1-2, that means the fights will be the exact same style for quite a while...) And there's many other factors but that might start a flame-war so I'll stop on that.

Regardless I just saw a you-tube video where someone just used scissors on a boss, and one-hit ko'ed it. Speaking of bosses boy will you feel ashamed once you see them seeing how their just plain "Giant sized" normal enemies.

Final note: Seeing how there's no post content (based on what people who already beat the game said.) AND theirs not even 8 Chapters, anyone who's played even Spm will feel uneasy getting this game.
---
Official Oshawott of the Pokemon BW 2 Boards
"Stating your opinion on GameFaqs is a declaration of war" - anonymous.
#10NathanisDrakePosted 11/12/2012 7:56:50 AM
melchiahdim posted...

And that's why.

Oh gawd, not this guy again... >.>
---
[=[3ds]=]
[o+[__].::]
+ (+.[VITA].::) = *EXPLODES*