Really enjoying Paper Mario Sticker Star

#21Sad_FacePosted 11/12/2012 11:16:09 PM(edited)
I've never played much of the past Paper Mario games (I have the original on Wii Virtual console and I have Super Paper Mario, but I haven't played more than a couple hours of either) so I have no attachment to the gameplay of the past games.

Well, there's your problem. When you finish this game, go and pick up TTYD and then I'll take your opinion seriously. What you are judging on is best put by this poster here.

You would be judging as a standalone title and would not have any preconceived notions or expectations of the game. You would just simply be rating the game of its own merits.

The thing is with us "seasoned" Paper Mario fans is that, as Endgame put it, we have expectations to be met due to the legacy TTYD left behind. And that game is hailed as one of the greatest games on the GC and one of the greatest ever. You can see why most people will be disappointed by it because as another poster put it,

BUT, from all the info I've seen, the sticker system doesn't seem like a sidegrade from the deeper gameplay of the previous PM games, it's a straight on down grade, with less options and less going on.

Anyways, I, personally, am highly skeptical of this game as it is and doubt I'll be picking it up any time soon unless I see more positive reviews in comparison to TTYD.
#22OoSubaruoOPosted 11/12/2012 11:22:34 PM
I think taking Endgame seriously was your first mistake.
#23melchiahdim(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2012 11:39:20 PM
Sad_Face posted...
I've never played much of the past Paper Mario games (I have the original on Wii Virtual console and I have Super Paper Mario, but I haven't played more than a couple hours of either) so I have no attachment to the gameplay of the past games.

Well, there's your problem. When you finish this game, go and pick up TTYD and then I'll take your opinion seriously. What you are judging on is best put by this poster here.

You would be judging as a standalone title and would not have any preconceived notions or expectations of the game. You would just simply be rating the game of its own merits.

The thing is with us "seasoned" Paper Mario fans is that, as Endgame put it, we have expectations to be met due to the legacy TTYD left behind. And that game is hailed as one of the greatest games on the GC and one of the greatest ever. You can see why most people will be disappointed by it because as another poster put it,

BUT, from all the info I've seen, the sticker system doesn't seem like a sidegrade from the deeper gameplay of the previous PM games, it's a straight on down grade, with less options and less going on.

Anyways, I, personally, am highly skeptical of this game as it is and doubt I'll be picking it up any time soon unless I see more positive reviews in comparison to TTYD.

You see, those points are irrelevant to me because the game IS very enjoyable to play. I couldn't care less if TTYD is ten times better, because it doesn't change the fact that SS is a very good game. The quality of past games in a franchise has no bearing on how much I enjoy a current one.

Sure longtime fans had expectations. But as Intelligent Systems never said that SS would be just like the past games, they only have their own expectations to blame for their disappointment.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0516-8714-1928
#24Sad_FacePosted 11/13/2012 12:10:19 AM
You see, those points are irrelevant to me because the game IS very enjoyable to play. I couldn't care less if TTYD is ten times better, because it doesn't change the fact that SS is a very good game. The quality of past games in a franchise has no bearing on how much I enjoy a current one.

Well, clearly you don't care about TTYD and the other games because you haven't played them. You came in blindly and are getting into the series for the first time. So it's fine and dandy that you are enjoying it because I wouldn't expect you to see see why the rest of us are complaining about the direction this game took.

Now, I played 64 and then TTYD. I loved the first one and then the second. And I could clearly see the staggering size of improvements made in the transition to the sequel. So, in my eyes, there is a very, very large pair of shoes to fill. A legacy to uphold. SPM did not meet those expectations. But I had to acknowledge that SPM was a spin-off, not a sequel, and so it was expected that it may not overtake TTYD due to the gamble it was making with the gameplay direction.

Now here comes along SS, a next installment and, more importantly, true sequel to the franchise. Unfortunately, there is a sizable number of changes to the staple mechanics of the Paper Mario series and the replacement requirements don't look to be nearly as in depth as the previous mechanics. So clearly, we are going to be pissed off, especially since we haven't seen a sequel in years.

And I highly doubt you believe this.

Sure longtime fans had expectations. But as Intelligent Systems never said that SS would be just like the past games, they only have their own expectations to blame for their disappointment.

When you play games in a series (not including spin-offs), you expect them to continue to improve and build off the previous entries as there is a core gameplay (or series specfic detail) that is the main drawing factor that brings you to the game. If developers are going to change up the formula that much, they might as well make it a spin off or a new series as they are going to risk an outcry from the fanbase if it doesn't surpass their expectations.

Another way to look at this is to look at what Michael Bay is doing to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He's changing them to be aliens so they might as well call them the Teenage Extraterrestrial Ninja Turtles (TENT). At that point, if you are going change up the staple mechanics or the core definitions of that series that much, you might as well make it a new series. Else, you'll just be riding on the name and popularity and in my eyes, you'll just be showing that you don't have the skills to come up with your own iconic characters and need to ride off of someone else's work. Now, SS isn't this extreme, but you get the idea.
#25melchiahdim(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 12:19:39 AM
Sad_Face posted...

Well, clearly you don't care about TTYD and the other games because you haven't played them. You came in blindly and are getting into the series for the first time. So it's fine and dandy that you are enjoying it because I wouldn't expect you to see see why the rest of us are complaining about the direction this game took.

Now, I played 64 and then TTYD. I loved the first one and then the second. And I could clearly see the staggering size of improvements made in the transition to the sequel. So, in my eyes, there is a very, very large pair of shoes to fill. A legacy to uphold. SPM did not meet those expectations. But I had to acknowledge that SPM was a spin-off, not a sequel, and so it was expected that it may not overtake TTYD due to the gamble it was making with the gameplay direction.

Now here comes along SS, a next installment and, more importantly, true sequel to the franchise. Unfortunately, there is a sizable number of changes to the staple mechanics of the Paper Mario series and the replacement requirements don't look to be nearly as in depth as the previous mechanics. So clearly, we are going to be pissed off, especially since we haven't seen a sequel in years.

And I highly doubt you believe this.

When you play games in a series (not including spin-offs), you expect them to continue to improve and build off the previous entries as there is a core gameplay (or series specfic detail) that is the main drawing factor that brings you to the game. If developers are going to change up the formula that much, they might as well make it a spin off or a new series as they are going to risk an outcry from the fanbase if it doesn't surpass their expectations.

Another way to look at this is to look at what Michael Bay is doing to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He's changing them to be aliens so they might as well call them the Teenage Extraterrestrial Ninja Turtles (TENT). At that point, if you are going change up the staple mechanics or the core definitions of that series that much, you might as well make it a new series. Else, you'll just be riding on the name and popularity and in my eyes, you'll just be showing that you don't have the skills to come up with your own iconic characters and need to ride off of someone else's work. Now, SS isn't this extreme, but you get the idea.

I expect a sequel to a series to either improve on the previous title OR show me something new. And SS is doing something new.

And you may be happy to learn that that story treatment for Platinum Dunes Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been canned.
---
#26NnamzPosted 11/13/2012 1:18:57 AM
I have never played a Paper Mario game. According to this topic, that means I will like Sticker Star more? Right?
---
PS3/Vita ID: Nnamz <-- Please message before add. Otherwise will not accept.
3DS Friend Code: 3780 - 9095 - 9402 <-- Inbox me your FC.
#27RazieruPosted 11/13/2012 2:02:50 AM
melchiahdim posted...

But if the overblown control issues in Kid Icarus Uprising taught me anything, its to not listen to the complainers on this board.

Eh, I guess the day for classy dialect is still a dream differed. You said all that only to end on a hypocritical note.

Okay, here it goes. You see the line, the one that's bold, is the most sad nonsense anyone can say. You sat up here and essentially told the masses how much this game is your pride and joy, but you had to label people who don't feel the same "complainers". What makes you think all that divine drivel you spewed makes you any different from these "complainers"?

I fail to see how you are so right and they are so wrong, so try not to label anyone who would feel differently from you if you don't want those people to make a mockery of this "moment" you're having. It makes for great hypocrisy.
---
My swagger will X-splode you.
#28legendarylemurPosted 11/13/2012 2:08:03 AM
Nnamz posted...
I have never played a Paper Mario game. According to this topic, that means I will like Sticker Star more? Right?

I personally think any bias you have before playing a game makes it less fun, even if you hold positive bias before jumping in. You either think the game is crap no matter what (even if it's not as bad as you put it) or it's just not as fun as your hype made you expect it to be.
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
Official official. Officially
#29melchiahdim(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 2:32:59 AM
Razieru posted...
melchiahdim posted...

But if the overblown control issues in Kid Icarus Uprising taught me anything, its to not listen to the complainers on this board.

Eh, I guess the day for classy dialect is still a dream differed. You said all that only to end on a hypocritical note.

Okay, here it goes. You see the line, the one that's bold, is the most sad nonsense anyone can say. You sat up here and essentially told the masses how much this game is your pride and joy, but you had to label people who don't feel the same "complainers". What makes you think all that divine drivel you spewed makes you any different from these "complainers"?

I fail to see how you are so right and they are so wrong, so try not to label anyone who would feel differently from you if you don't want those people to make a mockery of this "moment" you're having. It makes for great hypocrisy.

Perhaps "complainers" was a poorly chosen word. Let's just say I'm sick of negativity. And I'm sick of people like you putting words in my mouth. I never said the game was my "pride and joy". I was saying that I am enjoying that game, and expressed gratitude that I didn't listen to those complaints.

And in case you haven't notice, I good chunk of the complaints were started long before the game came out. Most of those people have not played the game, and many have said they will not play the game.

I cant argue with someone who has played the game and doesn't enjoy it. That's their opinion, based on their taste. What drives me crazy is people who label it as a bad game because its not like the previous Paper Mario games. I've had similar discussions in the past involving Resident Evil 4, Final Fantasy 13, and Metroid Other M. None of the games listed are bad, they are just different. But hey if you don't like them, that's fine.

You should read my OP and realize that I just trying to say why I'm enjoying the game. I never tried to attack someone who didn't.
---
#30Lemmywinks13Posted 11/13/2012 3:14:14 AM
It's mostly Vita owners or Nintendo haters that really have a problem with this game. Vita owners hate the fact that 3DS is getting another great game and feel the need to knock it down a peg or two so they can still claim it has no good games. They ignore every great review and pretend only 9.0 games or higher are good. Basically, it's the internet, and people love to share hate on it.

This game is great. Not as great as Ten Thousand Year Door...but I'm still glad it exists.