Why do some people judge games based off the merits of the previous entries?

#11CrmsnFatalis96Posted 11/12/2012 9:50:04 AM
Here, let me use my own example.

My favorite video game series is Monster Hunter. When they make a new Monster Hunter game, I expect it to be like Monster Hunter. If, instead, they go and make it like God of War, I would be really pissed off.

When games are in a series, they should be very similar to one another. When games are in a series, they are meant to be compared to one another. Differences are all well and good, but if you make a completely different game then why bother putting it in the same series? Why not just make a new game?

Spinoffs are a different matter entirely, but when there is a series of games, the games in the series need to have a certain standard to live up to.
#12xellos667Posted 11/12/2012 9:53:22 AM(edited)
Personally, after Super Paper Mario (which weirdly enough I enjoyed more than the previous two, mind you) and now this one, I indeed took the whole "Paper Mario" series to be stand-alone titles. And I really enjoy them that way. The "Paper" concept is there, everything else is its own thing. Quite frankly, I know I'm in the minority here, but I always found TTYD to be really overly long for no reason (the dialog, which was fun at first become a big drag as the game goes by). I like how SS just get to the point, and let me enjoy the gameplay...Even more, I like how they removed the RPG element (GASP) so I can focus on stage by stage exploration.

It may not be my favorite Paper Mario game (because again, I will be hated here since my favorite is Super Paper Mario for its good mix of 2D and 3D platformer), but I find it rather excellent, and I'm having as much fun if not more than playing the first 2 games, if only because I don't feel like the game is becoming a chore like the first 2 (TTYD in particular).

Now, everyone, hate me for my totally personal opinion. And don't hesitate to tell me your opinion is right and mine is wrong :)
---
My collection of 3DS digital games (and slow progression of beating them):
http://backloggery.com/drac_mazoku
#13darkus_fPosted 11/12/2012 9:54:07 AM
Marsford posted...
Wow. I really didn`t expect so many rational, thought out answers on this board. I`m impressed. I have nothing to add.

this. O_O one in a million topic.
#14Northern_RosePosted 11/12/2012 9:59:09 AM
Look at Dragon Quest. 9 games and counting. They even put their name on some spin offs and stand alone games but you knew they were different just because of the name. They weren't simply called Dragon Quest. They were called Dragon Quest Monsters, Dragon Quest Heroes, Dragon Quest Wars.

All the Final Fantasy games are numbered, all the Final Fantasy spins offs and what have you are titled something different and not numbered. FF Crystal Chronicles tells you to expect an ARPG, Chocobos Dungeon, Dissidia, The titles tell you to expect something different or the same.

Imagine if they made the next Professor Layton game and it didnt have puzzles in it, but it still said Professor Layton on the box. People would freak.

They called it Paper Mario, so people expected more Paper Mario , not a stand alone game.
---
"I am bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be, than me." ~ Bad-Anon
#15DemiseEndPosted 11/12/2012 10:00:16 AM
So, lets say if they called it Mario Paper Adventure it wont be as bad as it is right now ?
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#16TerotrousPosted 11/12/2012 10:04:55 AM
It makes sense to do it when the gameplay is similar. For example, there's no reason not to compare Super Mario Galaxy 2 to the original Super Mario Galaxy.

However, if the gameplay is different, you should be comparing the game to other games with similar gameplay instead. For example, for DDR Mario Mix, obviously you'd compare that to other DDR games rather than other Mario games.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GEN Alien Soldier"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#17FAT____MANPosted 11/12/2012 10:05:13 AM
xellos667 posted...
Personally, after Super Paper Mario (which weirdly enough I enjoyed more than the previous two, mind you) and now this one, I indeed took the whole "Paper Mario" series to be stand-alone titles. And I really enjoy them that way. The "Paper" concept is there, everything else is its own thing. Quite frankly, I know I'm in the minority here, but I always found TTYD to be really overly long for no reason (the dialog, which was fun at first become a big drag as the game goes by). I like how SS just get to the point, and let me enjoy the gameplay...Even more, I like how they removed the RPG element (GASP) so I can focus on stage by stage exploration.

It may not be my favorite Paper Mario game (because again, I will be hated here since my favorite is Super Paper Mario for its good mix of 2D and 3D platformer), but I find it rather excellent, and I'm having as much fun if not more than playing the first 2 games, if only because I don't feel like the game is becoming a chore like the first 2 (TTYD in particular).

Now, everyone, hate me for my totally personal opinion. And don't hesitate to tell me your opinion is right and mine is wrong :)

Here's the thing about Super Paper mario

Super Mario bros.>Super Mario Bros 2> Super Mario bros 3> Super Mario World>Super Mario world 2.

From the title alone, you can infer that Super Paper Mario, is Paper Mario with Super Mario Bros. elements.
#18aak57Posted 11/12/2012 10:06:45 AM(edited)
This isn't unique to video games. If they announced another Fight Club movie and it turned out to be an actual action movie, you can bet there would be complaints. As others have mentioned, the entire point in reusing a name is to say "Hey, you know that thing you like? We're giving you more of it."
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#19ScutchingtonPosted 11/12/2012 10:07:09 AM
Something about the previous games setting a standard and people expecting future games to meet that same standard.

"Gamers" have this silly "damned if you do, damned if you don't" mentality, its impossible to please them.
---
Ritsu Tainaka is mai waifu. http://tinyurl.com/8zgmv2k
"I wear a fez now. Fezzes are cool." - The Doctor
#20FAT____MANPosted 11/12/2012 10:21:52 AM
Scutchington posted...
Something about the previous games setting a standard and people expecting future games to meet that same standard.

"Gamers" have this silly "damned if you do, damned if you don't" mentality, its impossible to please them.

No. No they actually ****ing don't. The only people that demand change for any game, either are trolls, or never really cared for the source material at all. But it is of course welcomed, if at it's core was flawed and needed an overhaul to be improved.