Why do some people judge games based off the merits of the previous entries?

#71WiiareVenomPosted 11/12/2012 4:22:17 PM
I dont believe Zelda 2 did bad just because it was different. Zelda 2 was just bad mechanically. They could have made the changes work if they didn't give you a butter knife as a weapon....
---
You must let your anger be as a monkey in a pinata, hiding inside with the candy, hoping kids don't breakthrough with a stick.
#72SMASHKING84Posted 11/12/2012 4:26:26 PM
yes you ever thought i'm buying this game to support the series not the game itself.

if this game flops IS might take that as a declaration people don't want pm at all.
they cannot tell WHY a game flops. let me explain it to you like this if you were a professional reviewer you would get games even if you thought you might hate them.

because if you do that you can warn people who plan on getting the game about the flaws as well as the development team will KNOW what they did wrong.

like i said the only reason i support this game is because i'm afraid that the development team will discontinue pm in general because of this games poor sales plus me owning it gives e a right to critque it. if i don't own it i cannot critque it.

and trust me here just because i have low expectations doesn't automatically mean i will blast it no matter how much i like it.

i'll give you example:i had low expectations of mom because of the negative hype arround it and while i thought it could've been done better i did like it.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:3
unless i state otherwise everything i say is MY oppinon.
#73Northern_RosePosted 11/12/2012 4:31:17 PM
Terotrous posted...
When you go to McDonalds for dinner...

This analogy is absurdly long for how irrelevant it is. A better comparison would be this:

You go to a restaurant and order the soup of the day. It's chicken noodle.
You go back to the same restaurant again and order the soup of the day and it's chicken noodle again.
You go back and order the soup of the day a third time, and this time it's cream of mushroom. You throw a hissy fit, yell "you call this soup?!" and storm out.

Note that cream of mushroom and chicken noodle are both types of soup, in the same way that Paper Mario TTYD and Sticker Star are both types of Paper Mario games.

WOW really!!! I made a reference about how expectations change with a name and you say its irrelevant and then go on, and even start with order the soup of the day. Ya something that changes daily and even says so in its name.

Also most things the 3DS does is play games. PM is nothing like Madden Football yet they are both games. But this has nothing to do with expectations people have. Wait it fits perfectly. When someone buys a Madden game they expect to get a football game, when people buy PM, they expected an RPG with a unique art style. Both of these expectations are based on peoples experience with the past games in each series.

No one is complaining about the stickers, they fit in the game just fine. Heck no one is even calling it a bad game. They are just saying they had higher expectations for it because of its name and the series its a part of. PM:SS did not meet those expectations.

You didnt even notice my reference was about names and expectations. Not some whinny kid not getting what he wants. Do you even know how a debate or argument works. First you need to pick a side.

Reading Comprehension.......Get some.

lol ok Im still in shock you went with "soup of the day" to argue against names and expectations roflol
---
"I am bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be, than me." ~ Bad-Anon
#74Lord_Frood(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2012 7:35:00 PM
@Smashking
Off-topic: but what would you buy a game soley for the series? If I don't like the look of a game in a series, then tough. That's business for you.
---
You only need to know two things to understand KH: Everyone is Sora, Everything is Xehanort's fault.
http://backloggery.com/Lord_Frood
#75NettoSaitoPosted 11/12/2012 8:07:21 PM
It's because people wait years for a sequel to their favorite games, and when the wait is finally over, they find out it is no longer like their favorite game.

There's a reason people like the games they like. The gameplay, the story, the characters, etc, but when they see everything they loved taken away and replaced with something else, they rage. It isn't the game they waited for, but simply another "new" game that will offer them something completely different than what they were hoping for.

Still I'm fine with change for the most part.
---
3DS FC - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] Please PM me with your FC!
My Backloggery Game List - http://www.backloggery.com/NettoSaito
#76TerotrousPosted 11/12/2012 10:15:18 PM(edited)
TinyTim123 posted...
I follow your reasoning. I see some faults.
How about this: In this case, X is a hamburger.
I got Y which is called a hamburger with lettuce. I therefore expect it to be a ground beef patty between to buns, and this time with the addition of lettuce.
Only instead of ground beef, it was ground ham, and therefore very different to what I expected. It is true in name, but not necessarily in spirit.
Or I expected a Sprite and got water, so naturally, as soon as I taste it, my first reaction is "What the hell is this?"
Water is still good and good for you, but when you expect Sprite, it tastes plain.

That analogy doesn't work because it implies the two things have nothing in common at all.

To use your hamburger analogy, the "meat" would be the Paper-themed aesthetic, which is common between the two games. The lettuce is the sticker mechanic, which is new to this game. However, we knew the Sticker stuff was in there from the beginning. There was no deception, our first video of the battle engine was from over a year ago and it looks virtually identical to the finished game. You can't claim you didn't know what you were getting.

So back to your analogy, it's like you deliberately ordered your hamburger with lettuce and then complained that you got lettuce. And now you're surprised by the lack of sympathy.

Northern_Rose posted...
WOW really!!! I made a reference about how expectations change with a name and you say its irrelevant and then go on, and even start with order the soup of the day. Ya something that changes daily and even says so in its name.

It changes daily, but it remains soup in every case. Just like how here, the game changes a bit (which you would expect it to, I doubt you just wanted a TTYD port to 3DS), but it remains Paper Mario. Just a different flavour of it. And whether or not you care for that particular flavour has no bearing on whether or not it is well made.

NettoSaito posted...
It's because people wait years for a sequel to their favorite games, and when the wait is finally over, they find out it is no longer like their favorite game.

There's a reason people like the games they like. The gameplay, the story, the characters, etc, but when they see everything they loved taken away and replaced with something else, they rage. It isn't the game they waited for, but simply another "new" game that will offer them something completely different than what they were hoping for.

Right, and in this case Nintendo is banking on the fact that for the majority of people, the reason they liked Paper Mario was the humour and the art style. Which is probably a pretty good guess. Paper Mario and TTYD are both really basic RPGs that don't have a lot of depth and are largely carried by their characters and dialogue. If you want similar gameplay, you can get it from Mario and Luigi or almost anywhere, really. SPM has among the worst gameplay of all time, but people still apparently liked it anyway.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GEN Alien Soldier"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#77Banjo2553Posted 11/12/2012 10:36:03 PM
I'm a little disappointed by Sticker Star because they dropped the ball entirely on the battle system. Use stickers to attack? Pretty cool. But ultimately there's no point to battling enemies. You get no experience so you can't level up that way. Instead, the rewards are coins and stickers. Coins to buy more stickers so you can battle enemies.

The problems are that both of those can be gotten extremely easily through other means. Coins are around in every level, and you get tons of them for just beating the levels. Stickers are also extremely abundant. Each screen you can find like, five. Plus the stickers completely re-appear if you re-enter the levels. I've only played through Chapter 1 so far, but right now it seems there's no point to the battles except to face new enemies and use new stickers out of curiosity.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#78OoSubaruoOPosted 11/12/2012 11:17:29 PM
You do know that the more enemies you beat, the coin reward adds more. Enemies also give you stickers that you can't normally buy in shops.