I don't understand why people people complain about pretty boys in JRPGs, etc.

#1Emerald_MeliosPosted 11/14/2012 9:56:18 AM
I can't see why that's perceived worse than square-jawed musclemen. And most female characters in video games are required to look very pretty; to not apply that standard to male characters seems like a flaky double standard. After all, you almost never see burly, towering muscle girls in Western games (just compare the official portraits for FemShep and Male Shep from Mass Effect).
#2Phantom_NookPosted 11/14/2012 9:59:59 AM
Because their masculinity is threatened by it.
---
GT: Tommy XD001
3DS FC: 4682-8954-0442
#3halomonkey1_3_5Posted 11/14/2012 10:07:09 AM
Because they dont like that character anyway, and the stereotype being so prominent gives them a "legitimate" excuse to whine

Thats the real reason, its the same way with people who are ok with the pretty boys in JRPGs but throw a fit at the burly "manly men" in most FPS's.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#4NathanisDrakePosted 11/14/2012 10:10:47 AM
Remember when Raiden was first introduced as the main protagonist of MGS2? *shudders*
---
Fanboys, especially SONY fanboys, are what's wrong with gaming. Not changing my sig till someone proves me wrong.
#5chestershadowPosted 11/14/2012 10:16:35 AM
Because generally that character's personality is the WORST of the entire cast. By far are they the most annoying (on purpose, because thats part of the stereotype) cast member, and with Japan's crazy fetishism making it into their media (games, anime, etc), with good reason are they the least liked stereotype out west. No one says you cant like that character, but its so done to death in Japan that people have a right to be upset/annoyed by it. Its practically forced on you if its from Japan.

I dont mind them being there, but I sincerely hope theyre the first to (painfully) die off if they are there.
#6SalsaSavantPosted 11/14/2012 10:20:16 AM
I could write an entire essay on this.
There's a lot at play. Threats to traditional portrayals of masculinity, fear that the character is more attractive than them, perhaps some level of being attracted to the feminine characteristics for some men, the face that they're the most heavily sexualized male character archetype, and of course, the negative opinion of the stereotypical JRPG pretty boy.

When I see a JRPG pretty boy, I'm turned off mostly because of what most JRPG pretty boys are: bad characters.
---
This is a sig.
People who agree: 11. People who Disagree:4
#7NarutoPosted 11/14/2012 10:23:26 AM
I think Japan should just change all the pretty boys to girls when they're localized. Saves me the trouble of guessing the gender of the characters.
#8kamikaze135Posted 11/14/2012 10:36:57 AM
I don't think they have a problem with "pretty boys" themselves, it's just that they're in practically every single JRPG game. It's become one of those annoying clichés.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#9PsychoWolfXPosted 11/14/2012 10:44:37 AM
Because they aren't trigger happy roid freaks spewing obscenities.

Me? I like both.
#10PookyKittyPosted 11/14/2012 11:29:06 AM
Because 'manly' men don't dress to impress women, they dress to impress other 'men'.

i.e. Girls flaunt over pretty boys and want their booties, so those guys who are not afraid to be pretty, get tons of females.

However 'manly' men dress to impress other men, this is why they have such a big preference on what other men should look like. (not in a homosexual manner mind you) They get mad when they see a youthful pretty boy surrounded by hoards of females and think, "WTF!? Why do they like HIM!? He looks like a girl!!1!1!!one"

The 'manly' men tend to call pretty boys gay, even though there are plenty of gay men who are VERY manly. This tends to be a sign of insecurity and jealousy since females flock to the pretty boys.

In other words, if you want to impress women, become a pretty boy, if you would rather impress your manly friends, be a "manly" man with a buzz cut and such.

Chris Hemsworth and his long hair/great features have TONS of women flocking to him. Eminem however, well he has certain types of women, but is certainly nowhere near as popular as Chris.