Pokemon mystery dungeon gets a 38/40 from famitsu!

#111FefnirOmega13Posted 11/16/2012 8:37:58 AM
JP_Sartre posted...
FefnirOmega13 posted...
JP_Sartre posted...
38/40 for a simple Roguelike with Pokemons added? Am I missing something here?

No, they do genuinely deserve that score. Well, maybe not, but they certainly don't deserve their Metacritic scores. 50s and 60s are ridiculous.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the gameplay isn't for everyone; but the story is top notch and beats out any current gen pokemon game, and the soundtrack is fantastic and probably some of the high points of the whole series of pokemon, main games included.

Not that I hate Roguelikes, I thought Shiren the Wanderer was much better than any of the DS PMD games.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree- in some places. I think they're way too easy, personally. Playing things like Shiren, Dragon Crystal/Fatal Labyrinth and Fushigi no Gensokyo gives much more of a challenge. But it's one of those things where pokemon has a pretty good fit- Any and every pokemon is usable as opposed to the main games, and the co-operative aspect of saving others is pretty cool too.

I'd probably say that the PMD games are the best pokemon spinoffs available, with that in mind.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#112JP_SartrePosted 11/16/2012 8:48:58 AM
FefnirOmega13 posted...
JP_Sartre posted...
FefnirOmega13 posted...
JP_Sartre posted...

No, they do genuinely deserve that score. Well, maybe not, but they certainly don't deserve their Metacritic scores. 50s and 60s are ridiculous.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the gameplay isn't for everyone; but the story is top notch and beats out any current gen pokemon game, and the soundtrack is fantastic and probably some of the high points of the whole series of pokemon, main games included.

Not that I hate Roguelikes, I thought Shiren the Wanderer was much better than any of the DS PMD games.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree- in some places. I think they're way too easy, personally. Playing things like Shiren, Dragon Crystal/Fatal Labyrinth and Fushigi no Gensokyo gives much more of a challenge. But it's one of those things where pokemon has a pretty good fit- Any and every pokemon is usable as opposed to the main games, and the co-operative aspect of saving others is pretty cool too.

I'd probably say that the PMD games are the best pokemon spinoffs available, with that in mind.

I seriously think Pokemon Conquest was the best *concept* of a spinoff. It suffered a bit from oversimplicity, The fusion of Koei strategy games and Pokemon could have even been a lot better, if had the resource management of other Koei games.

I'm hoping for a sequel, with a bit more depth. Fusion can be good. How about Tactics OGRE + Pokemon? Dark, mature storyline and for love of god, please give the damn Pokemons personalities and dialogue. Make some good, some treacherous. You know the Tactics Ogre shtick by now. This would never happen. Pokemon + FFT? LOL.
---
"The Virtual Boy didn't fail. We failed the Virtual Boy"
-fallenKlNG
#113ryudin89Posted 11/16/2012 8:50:59 AM
JP_Sartre posted...
FefnirOmega13 posted...
JP_Sartre posted...
FefnirOmega13 posted...
JP_Sartre posted...

I seriously think Pokemon Conquest was the best *concept* of a spinoff. It suffered a bit from oversimplicity, The fusion of Koei strategy games and Pokemon could have even been a lot better, if had the resource management of other Koei games.

I'm hoping for a sequel, with a bit more depth. Fusion can be good. How about Tactics OGRE + Pokemon? Dark, mature storyline and for love of god, please give the damn Pokemons personalities and dialogue. Make some good, some treacherous. You know the Tactics Ogre shtick by now. This would never happen. Pokemon + FFT? LOL.

The only time we would ever get an extremely dark Pokemon game would be when fan-fiction writers start making the games.
---
GameFAQS=why games should be played and people should be avoided.-selfdeztruction
http://fav.me/d3e91yr
#114JP_SartrePosted 11/16/2012 8:57:07 AM
ryudin89 posted...

The only time we would ever get an extremely dark Pokemon game would be when fan-fiction writers start making the games.

True, but it sure would put a cool new spin on Pokemon. Spinoffs are sort of just that, spinoffs.
---
"The Virtual Boy didn't fail. We failed the Virtual Boy"
-fallenKlNG
#115ryudin89Posted 11/16/2012 9:08:55 AM(edited)
JP_Sartre posted...
ryudin89 posted...

True, but it sure would put a cool new spin on Pokemon. Spinoffs are sort of just that, spinoffs.

Maybe. Some things just don't need to be dark and edgy, remember Bomberman Act Zero?
---
GameFAQS=why games should be played and people should be avoided.-selfdeztruction
http://fav.me/d3e91yr
#116VyersPosted 11/16/2012 1:23:09 PM
No one's told me their opinions from the Famitsu review yet
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Blog: http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=6123776 / YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear
#117Phantom_NookPosted 11/16/2012 4:17:30 PM
The game is out already? wow I missed something here.
---
GT: Tommy XD001
3DS FC: 4682-8954-0442
#118thealmightydibPosted 11/16/2012 4:26:24 PM
viajarv posted...
This is news to me. Famitsu not giving a game a 40/40?!

this
---
No, John, unfortunately we don't have a code for "There's a man in my closet with a gun to my daughter's head." Although we obviously should.