what would be a better purchase (JRPG fans only)

#21GigantLuffyPosted 11/18/2012 7:30:56 PM
SilentHawk29 posted...
Xenoblade is okay, in my opinion. It just didn't hold my interest, but a lot of people seem to think it's the best Wii game, so perhaps I'm an outlier. Never played Last Story though.

Same. The world was just too... Big. Like everything was upscaled 2x to make you waste more time running. Played for about 5 hours before I quit. Maybe I'll pick it up at some point later on, but eh...

And Xenogears is my second favorite game of all time, so... lol

That's because Xenogears' arms are long enough to box with God(aka Getter Emperor).
---
"STRANGE ISN'T IT" - Sonikku za Hejjihoggu
Currently Playing: KH3D & Princess Code
#22Halladay32Posted 11/18/2012 8:50:17 PM
Anything with Xenoblade Chronicles > anything without Xenoblade Chronicles

So, the first option, in my opinion.
I couldn't get into the Last Story at all, but that's mostly because it's not my type of game, as opposed to issues with the game itself.
---
"The man's a universe unto himself -- ever expanding and plagued by entropy."
#23nedrithPosted 11/18/2012 9:08:49 PM
Basically it depends if you like big huge worlds or not. Xenoblade is decent, but I'm not too big of a fan of open world RPGs. Last story was overall great but the combat as repetitive at best until the second playthrough. With that said the Wii doesn't have a ton of great JRPGs though Arc Rise fantasia is one that I would almost say is a must play for JRPG fans.

the DS games are decent, though the DS KH games are by far my least favorite of the series. With that said games like the world ends with you and DQIX along with golden age and a few others makes it really hard not to recommend the DS.

Also I would go with the 3ds for one reason. While the Wii is cheap and has some decent to great games, the Wii U is out now. get the 3ds right now and save up for the Wii U. that way not only can you enjoy both the 3ds and ds games but eventually rather than wasting your money on a Wii that will probably end up getting upgraded into a Wii U you can wait for a price drop on the Wii U and get it then. Hopefully by then they might release some good JRPGs for that system as well.
#24Mega_RatPosted 11/18/2012 9:15:50 PM
SilentHawk29 posted...
I take it you don't have a DS, so drop the DS KH games and get Radiant Historia and The World Ends With You.

RetroFanGirl posted...
The Wii. Xenoblade and The Last Story are better than anything the 3DS has rpg wise.

---
My wonderful girlfriend is a smexy Bunuppy! A cross breed of a bunny and a puppy .... WHAT?! O_O
http://i.imgur.com/nddzs.jpg <- My name in a game! :D
#25grungastzenkiPosted 11/18/2012 9:44:15 PM
KH DS is nothing special
I haven't play KH 3D though since i don't own 3DS

Xenoblade and Last Story is Amasing so i suggest you get those
#26antoinejones(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 10:05:58 PM
nedrith posted...
Basically it depends if you like big huge worlds or not. Xenoblade is decent, but I'm not too big of a fan of open world RPGs. Last story was overall great but the combat as repetitive at best until the second playthrough. With that said the Wii doesn't have a ton of great JRPGs though Arc Rise fantasia is one that I would almost say is a must play for JRPG fans.

the DS games are decent, though the DS KH games are by far my least favorite of the series. With that said games like the world ends with you and DQIX along with golden age and a few others makes it really hard not to recommend the DS.

Also I would go with the 3ds for one reason. While the Wii is cheap and has some decent to great games, the Wii U is out now. get the 3ds right now and save up for the Wii U. that way not only can you enjoy both the 3ds and ds games but eventually rather than wasting your money on a Wii that will probably end up getting upgraded into a Wii U you can wait for a price drop on the Wii U and get it then. Hopefully by then they might release some good JRPGs for that system as well.

how is the combat repetitive until the SECOND playthrough? what the battle system changes dramatically if you play the game a second time? lol Also is there a REASON to play the game more than once? (i.e different endings?)

the only RPGs Ive ever bothered to playthrough a second time were:

Nier (new scene sin story plus new ending)
Resonance of Fate (trophy requirement)
Dragon's Dogma (trophy requirement)

and since Wii doesnt have a trophy system itll be handled like all my old school RPGs... play til the part before the point of no return, get best armor/weapons, do all side quests/optional fights, beat game and never touch it again. lol I kinda miss the old days when my JRPGs took 40-50 hours for me to shelve permanently instead of 100+ because of trophies lol.
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#27ShadowjomiPosted 11/18/2012 10:37:29 PM(edited)
Get a good PC and you can play them all with better graphics and fps on emulators. Except the two games for 3DS there isn't a emulator for that.
#28antoinejones(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 10:38:12 PM
Shadowjomi posted...
Get a good PC and you can play them all with better graphics and fps on emulators.

I dont think my pc is good enough to emulate a wii or a 3ds lol... DS maybe but how the heck would you use a stylus lol
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#29ShadowjomiPosted 11/18/2012 10:41:05 PM
antoinejones posted...
Shadowjomi posted...
Get a good PC and you can play them all with better graphics and fps on emulators.

I dont think my pc is good enough to emulate a wii or a 3ds lol... DS maybe but how the heck would you use a stylus lol

You can always try to see if your pc can handle it, for the wii search the emulator called Dolphin, and for the DS search Desmume, you can use the mouse instead of the stylus it takes some getting use to it but it gets the job done.
#30OoSubaruoOPosted 11/18/2012 10:54:20 PM
MetalLoki posted...
antoinejones posted...
emagdnE posted...
neither

I'd save the money up for a machine that will help you develop some standards instead of buying jRPGs

I have a wide variety of "standards" unlike SOME people clearly... as my PS3 trophy list clearly shows

Know troll, just ignore him and his other account Endgame.

He's right, games like Valkyria Chronicles/Tales of Symphonia/Xenoblade Chronicles/etc are all terrible.

/sarcasm
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 0605-4074-6062