Region lock?! Reggie doesn't care!

#51n00bsaib0tPosted 11/22/2012 7:38:48 AM
I take back what I said. The more you post the more obvious it becomes that you aren't even reading my posts.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#52AdolRedPosted 11/22/2012 11:29:44 AM(edited)
"Haha yeah guys you're uh YOU'RE the idiots *has evidence of being a SFxT player in signature*"
#53Grand_BluePosted 11/22/2012 11:43:24 AM
I emailed Nintendo about getting a Spanish Pokemon game (only sold in Spain, so European game) and playing it on my DS Lite. The response:

Also, I wanted to let you know that that software designed specifically for the Nintendo DSi systems (meaning that it is only compatible with the Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL and not the Nintendo DS or DS Lite) or DS games enhanced for the Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL, features regional encoding. This means that such software plays only on the Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL manufactured for the same region as the software, whether that software be on a cartridge or downloaded from the Nintendo DSi Shop. While Pokemon Black Version 2 is a Nintendo DS game, it still uses Nintendo DSi Enhanced features which means that a version from Spain will not work with your Nintendo DSi. For this reason, I don't recommend that you import these games from another region.

The reason for this decision has to do with the fact that the Nintendo DSi systems include parental control functionality and that each region has a unique age limit and classification system when it comes to game ratings. In addition, we're providing online features and services that-like those for the Wii console-are specifically tailored for each region.

The first paragraph is false, a DSi game will work on any DS Lite in the world.

As for the "age classification" crap, the Pokemon games in Europe are rated PEGI 3+ and here they are E for everyone, so why does it matter? A 2 year old wouldn't be able to understand video games, so who the heck cares?

Also, I think Nintendo just may be greedy. They have the most consoles sold worldwide and they never have awesome discounts on Black Friday.
#54EngineR2Posted 11/22/2012 2:14:57 PM
I may be in the minority by saying this, but I thought the region lock was implemented, mainly, because Nintendo can get a handle on piracy, and flash card/carts.
---
Not changing sig until Toad, Jill and Drill Dozer are playable characters in the new Smash Bros.
#55biggy204Posted 11/22/2012 2:22:58 PM(edited)
EngineR2 posted...
I may be in the minority by saying this, but I thought the region lock was implemented, mainly, because Nintendo can get a handle on piracy, and flash card/carts.

This could be partially true, since if there was a flash cart capable of running 3DS Roms the dev for said flash carts will have a hard time encoding the carts sepecific to a 3DS's region.
---
"Do you smelllllllllllllllllllllll what The Rock Is Cookin" - the Rock
"No but who farted??" - Everyone else
#56Vincent7thPosted 11/22/2012 3:45:12 PM(edited)
Monoculus posted...
The region lock thing isn't so much to stop us from importing Japanese games as it is the other way around - media prices in Japan are generally higher than a US counterpart + shipping to Japan, so they'd be taking a loss if a good chunk of people started importing into Japan. It's just a good business practice.

Yep, the region lock is there to prevent the Japanese market from importing cheaper games. It has nothing to do with the desires of the Western markets.

Oh and Reggie has no say in it. He gets his orders from Nintendo Japan.
---
3DS FC: 3523-3466-7778
#57NewbieN00bPosted 11/22/2012 3:52:55 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#58_Izanagi_Posted 11/22/2012 8:39:48 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
The easiest way to tell the trolls from the good posters are to talk about region locking. The trolls will defend it.

Actually, the easiest way to tell the trolls from the good posters is that the trolls will refuse to acknowledge any point someone makes and instead try to label someone a troll when they can't prove them wrong. Prove both my posts wrong or expose yourself as the troll.

NathanisDrake posted...
_Izanagi_ posted...
The easiest way to tell the trolls from the good posters are to talk about region locking. The trolls will defend it.

^Flawed logic is flawed.

You two are exactly the type of trolls I'm talking about. MarioFan too, wherever he is.
---
"The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed."
#5921_21Posted 11/22/2012 8:54:44 PM
EngineR2 posted...

Nope. That's a flawed logic, as the Wii had already shown. Region-locking only encourages more piracy, not lessen it.
---
Currently playing:
Cave Story, Super Robot Taisen OG Endless Saga, and Pokemon White 2
#60pbandjamesPosted 11/22/2012 8:58:25 PM
SieKensou posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jkaYNtD55-I#t=188s

out in a wiiU lineup, reggie makes his appearance

I don't understand how people always make this out to be Reggie's fault.

Nintendo of America didn't make the decision to region lock, and it's quite possible that Reggie does feel bad about it. But since when is it his fault?

*sigh* As much as I hate to say it (because it's so Endgame-y) blame Iwata.
---
Game news is the best news. 3DS Friend Code: 4253-3676-2425 (James) PM me with yours if you add me