Region lock?! Reggie doesn't care!

#61TiamatKillerPosted 11/22/2012 9:39:07 PM
Mariofan15 posted...
"Some people are just stupid."

Or maybe the people that are stupid are the ones who just sit back and let companies continue to screw over consumers more and more, step by step.

Region Lock is just another link in the chain.

Yes,because region locking is so important,right? Only a minority of people even import games to begin with.

That's not the point.

There IS a market for games people can't play due to region lock.

How does it cost Nintendo to not make their systems region-free?
Answer: they can nickel and dime those who want it bad enough to pay for an import.
---
GTX 560 Ti (2GB)/ z77-pro motherboard/ i5-3570k/ 8 GB RAM
#62ADHDguitarPosted 11/22/2012 9:59:26 PM
Yeah, Ninty is pretty stingy.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#63Megaman OmegaPosted 11/23/2012 1:29:20 AM
diddy1278 posted...
Delirious_Beard posted...
Mariofan15 posted...

Or maybe the people that are stupid are the ones who just sit back and let companies continue to screw over consumers more and more, step by step.

Yes,because region locking is so important,right? Only a minority of people even import games to begin with.

And that makes it okay for Nintendo to screw them over, right?

God, the lengths fanboys go to sometimes....

Nintendo are not screwing anybody over and anyway only idiots buy import games then waste hours searching for a guide because they dont know kanji importing japanese games is just a waste of good money if you cannot play the game because you dont know the language. Or are hardcore gamers supposed to know japanese?

In this idiotic post: NA gamers are the only people that ever import. EU gamers importing games from NA? Doesn't exist!
---
The PS3 is dead in Japan. - Sailor Goon
The Japanese don't like games such as Hot Shots Golf. - Sailor Goon
#64n00bsaib0tPosted 11/23/2012 1:45:00 AM
diddy1278 posted...
Mariofan15 posted...

Nintendo are not screwing anybody over and anyway only idiots buy import games then waste hours searching for a guide because they dont know kanji importing japanese games is just a waste of good money if you cannot play the game because you dont know the language. Or are hardcore gamers supposed to know japanese?

In this idiotic post: NA gamers are the only people that ever import. EU gamers importing games from NA? Doesn't exist!

Not only that, but games EU has gotten in the past that NA hasn't (PSX Mega Man X 3). There is a bit of a barrier there on TV based consoles but its still possible to patch PAL to NTSC and still be using your retail disc. Not to mention some games (Saturn Rock Man X 3) don't really require you to read a whole lot. Sure, you miss out on what little story there is if its your first play through ever, but its 100% playable.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#65FefnirOmega13Posted 11/23/2012 1:47:12 AM
diddy1278 posted...
Mariofan15 posted...

I hope you never have to go through the nightmare of ridiculous costs like I did a few years back when I wanted to import a couple unreleased in EU and region-free shmups for my 360- that's about a hundred pound a game, though I got lucky and got them for 75 each- that's still about... $110?

Granted, I'm by far a hardcore shmuper, but I appreciate the difficulty and find the game genre fun, and the sad fact of the matter is that CAVE will not localise their games here.

This all changed when RSG started localising games, of course (thank the lord for Rising Star and their Dodonpachi localisation) but short of that I'd have to either resort to piracy (which i don't condone) or I'd have to go without, which is a damn shame since I want to give money back to the developers for their games.

But yeah, love your ignorance and generalisation
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#66TalicusPosted 11/23/2012 2:29:18 AM
IHeartMetroid posted...
"Hey, I'm not the one incapable of comprehending basic English. "

Why yes, yes you are.

As well as...
* Being incapable of understanding what a licensing agreement is.
* Being incapable of understanding just how a title gets on the US Virtual Console (hint hint- NOA's got a little something to do with it)
* Being incapable of understanding that local regional distribution agreements aren't responsible for unlicensed/unathorized import and export.
* Being incapable of understanding that creating a region free console doesn't make the console maker liable for those imports and exports
* Being incapable of understanding that, despite every NOA handheld since 1989 existing without region lock, not a single complaint has ever been filed by a third party against them vis a vis imports.

You are incapable of understanding a great many things. This is why you attempting to puff yourself up and blather on about them is very droll to people who actually DO understand them.

And why you just seem to be embarrassing yourself every time you post.

You could argue that if Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft really didn't have a problem with region locking Lik-Sang would still exist.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of region locking and I have multiple imported games for my Playstation 3 and Nintendo DS. But even as a European who get screwed over way more than Americans I really don't see how it's -that- big a deal.
One of the downsides of games being region free is that stores are more flexible in dumping a lot of bootleg copies along with the imports to make a quick buck. I've seen that happen both with the Game Boy Advance and the Nintendo DS.
---
Please excuse me for my poor English.
Thank you.
#67TalicusPosted 11/23/2012 2:33:15 AM
Grand_Blue posted...

The first paragraph is false, a DSi game will work on any DS Lite in the world.

As for the "age classification" crap, the Pokemon games in Europe are rated PEGI 3+ and here they are E for everyone, so why does it matter? A 2 year old wouldn't be able to understand video games, so who the heck cares?

Also, I think Nintendo just may be greedy. They have the most consoles sold worldwide and they never have awesome discounts on Black Friday.

The first paragraph is true. DSi games are actually region locked unlike DS Lite games and only work on DSi games for that regions.
The second paragraph is also true. Age classification is required by law from a specific country. Because of this age classification can differ from one country to the other (an example would be where Germans traditionally have more censored games than the rest of Europe). This is why publishers have to release games specific to a certain region. It's not something that publishers like to do, it's the law.
---
Please excuse me for my poor English.
Thank you.
#68n00bsaib0tPosted 11/23/2012 3:32:59 AM(edited)
You could argue that if Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft really didn't have a problem with region locking Lik-Sang would still exist.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of region locking and I have multiple imported games for my Playstation 3 and Nintendo DS. But even as a European who get screwed over way more than Americans I really don't see how it's -that- big a deal.
One of the downsides of games being region free is that stores are more flexible in dumping a lot of bootleg copies along with the imports to make a quick buck. I've seen that happen both with the Game Boy Advance and the Nintendo DS.

Don't bother. He's just going to ignore everything your post says and tell you that you don't understand regional distribution and licensing. Its kind of his thing. If you disagree with him at all he completely ignores the text in your posts and makes one like the one you quoted.

You two are exactly the type of trolls I'm talking about. MarioFan too, wherever he is.

When the only argument you have in favor of your own argument is that those who disagree with you are trolls you might want to rethink your argument. You also might what to read the thread, I've imported a ton over the past 10 years or so, I'm not in favor of it. But unlike you, I understand why its done. Again, if you have no argument against me you're exposing yourself as the troll here as all you can do are call me a troll without rebutting my points AND making huge assumptions with no basis for them (like thinking someone who owns more imported PS2 games than domestic is in favor of region locking).
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#69pokemon2pokerPosted 11/23/2012 5:16:29 AM
_Izanagi_ posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
The easiest way to tell the trolls from the good posters are to talk about region locking. The trolls will defend it.

Actually, the easiest way to tell the trolls from the good posters is that the trolls will refuse to acknowledge any point someone makes and instead try to label someone a troll when they can't prove them wrong. Prove both my posts wrong or expose yourself as the troll.

NathanisDrake posted...
_Izanagi_ posted...
The easiest way to tell the trolls from the good posters are to talk about region locking. The trolls will defend it.

^Flawed logic is flawed.

You two are exactly the type of trolls I'm talking about. MarioFan too, wherever he is.
this is the first time I've seen someone accuse MarioFan of being a troll. For the record, MarioFan is not a troll.
---
My face flashing crimson from the fires of hell
Know where to run before there's nowhere to run
#70IHeartMetroidPosted 11/23/2012 5:38:15 AM
"You could argue that if Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft really didn't have a problem with region locking Lik-Sang would still exist."

Nah-
Lik Sang got taken down because of the blatant way they sold a myraid of piracy tools. They treated the flash cards on their site the same way most computer companies sell SD cards. Nils himself (the owner of the site) will tell you straightaway that Lik Sang's Visoly-branded merchandise kept the site in business..

"Don't bother. He's just going to ignore everything your post says and tell you that you don't understand regional distribution and licensing."

Nothing you said was "ignored", YOU JUST CAN'T READ. Just because you don't have enough brain to understand a post doesn't mean you should try to apply your condition to every poster.