it's alittle off topic but kinda on topic

#11Argh4430Posted 11/20/2012 12:08:26 AM
I think I see that creeping in nowadays. A reviewer on Nintendolife gave a game a 7, and I saw several people turn the game down because the score wasn't high enough. Usually those people are on the fence, it seems. I know there's a lot of video games rated 8 & above that exist everywhere and on all consoles, but does that truly drive the standards up so much that a game doesn't get a second look just because it's not 8 or above?
#12NekoakumaPosted 11/20/2012 3:16:32 AM
A 1-10 scale should be a linear line ( / ) as opposed to a curve like most people think it is. (only 9+ is a good game)
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#13IHeartMetroidPosted 11/20/2012 5:42:38 AM
I figure reviewers just use the same grading score that most educational institutions use.

That is-

90-100 is an A (outstanding)
89-80 is a B (good, but not great)
79-70 is a C (average, but not special in any way. Bottom level C grades are mediocre.)
Anything below a 70 is D to F territory, best avoided at all costs.

So a game with a 7.6 would be a 76 percentile- just barely enough to qualify for a C+ grade.
#14LunarRoarPosted 11/20/2012 5:45:24 AM
Metacritic is the best place if you're hung up on numbers to tell you which games to buy since it takes all of the reviews and mashes'em into one. Personally I go for the articles since there are things that the author can tell you about the game that numbers cannot.
---
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=lunarroar
Official Grand Master Assassin of New York (Assassin's Creed 3 board)
#15UltimateKaibaPosted 11/20/2012 6:21:13 AM
I use IGN and Game Informer... i also use youtube to watch some videos to see if its something im interested in.
---
"As much as I hate getting involved, I hate owing someone a favor even more"-Seto Kaiba
PSN/XBL- Setobakura
#16DOAsaturnPosted 11/20/2012 6:27:08 AM
LunarRoar posted...
Metacritic is the best place if you're hung up on numbers to tell you which games to buy since it takes all of the reviews and mashes'em into one. Personally I go for the articles since there are things that the author can tell you about the game that numbers cannot.

I use Metacritic as well - it at least gives you a general idea of how the game is being received. But read the extreme reviews too (good and bad). I think it's good to see why someone liked it so much more than others (and reversely, why someone decided they didn't like it as much as the rest of the general reviewing public). Sometimes details that are overlooked in other reviews are touched upon in these over-favorable or too-negative reviews and may be helpful in deciding if you'd like or hate the game for same aspects.
---
weekendroady.com