Are mobile phone games hurting the industry for handhelds?

#11AkaneJonesPosted 11/19/2012 4:35:38 PM
1) Low cost 99 cent, or free, games are hurting sales of actual games, and particularly preventing casual parents from get a real handheld for their child. The effect is akin to what Atari did to the game industry, mostly because Apple has no checks or balances in what they dump on the Apple store. Sadly this leads to very few "Angry Birds" level games, because your product gets drowned. There is nothing in-place to prevent clone games, until people complain about it(LOL Mole Cart), and ratings systems on-line seem worthless. It happens because people will give anything a top rating, there's no mind set to vote only 3 stars unless you really like it. It's only 99 cents mentality, and why are xx or yy game cheaper I can get z on Iphone.

2) It is drawing certain 3rd parties to develop games exclusive for the mobile platform, while porting some of it's good games there. I would not be complaining if companies, like SE, were bringing any of their Iphone games to the 3DS eShop, but they aren't. Its worse when you have these companies are devoting resources to produce new games to the platform, that stay exclusive, and cancel games people really want on others, damn you Capcom and your Mega Man knife to the heart. I don't even think those more expensive games have the sort of market you get on a dedicated handheld.

3) Social Network is a scourge of evil on gaming. It's a dangerous social addiction, like the MMOs that killed people, or got parents to kill there baby. As it stands Twitter is a similar thing, and to a lesser degree Facebook. The problem is people don't understand what it is doing, yet they let it raise their kids. Oh and don't tell me, I know exactly what it does. I waisted my time on that very thing for a month and a half, what did it get me nothing, but and understanding of why you shouldn't.

4) It's preventing smaller western developers from making a better more solid game on handhelds. I don't know this for sure but considering how low the idea of handheld development is in the west, yet how many devs are all over mobile platform one would think it is. Mind you we get a bunch of eShop trash, which seems to prevent VC releases in the west. So it may not be, then again why aren't the solid games like say Across Age, which would be 100% better with actual controls, stuck on Iphone? I don't get it.
#12Devilman_Amon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 5:08:47 PM
hmm good post. mobile phone games indeed are flooded.

Sometimes I try looking for stuff and theres just so much crap.

For example, on this site, under iOS, do a search for "zombie" and see how many titles pop up. It's ridiculous...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#13ninja rabbitPosted 11/19/2012 6:00:57 PM
Not really

The 3DS is one of the fastest selling systems of all time at this point in its lifespan. I also think that handheld gaming and mobile phone gaming are pretty much two different markets (even if some companies don't get this). Mobile phone gaming is for casuals who want a 5 minute gaming experience when they're bored, the 3DS and Vita are for a more dedicated experience. As long as Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, etc stay exclusive to Nintendo's handhelds that market will be fine.
---
Despite all my rage I'm still just a rabbit in a cage
XBL Gamertag: ninjarabbitmega
#14EinvaltPosted 11/20/2012 1:04:27 AM
Anyone who didn't make the switch to mobile gaming 5 years ago when the iPhone first came out is not an authority on technology.
#15robomasteralphaPosted 11/20/2012 1:43:31 AM
Einvalt posted...
Anyone who didn't make the switch to mobile gaming 5 years ago when the iPhone first came out is not an authority on technology.

Coincidentally, anyone who made the switch to mobile gaming 5 years ago when the iPhone came out wasn't really much of a gamer to begin with.

Bee tee dubs, how's that Atlus boycott going?
---
Shop smart. Shop Mario Mart.
#16ParominPosted 11/20/2012 1:59:02 AM(edited)
If this causes less crap to come out for the 3DS and Vita then all the better.

The DS may have a number of good hits, but I feel like for every good or even decent DS game there're like 5-10 garbage games.

Providing consumers with an option to buy garbage games for $1 on their smart phones instead of buying game that's just as bad but 10 times the price on the 3DS means some of the BS that developers thought they could get away with on the DS won't fly too well now.
---
Playing: Project Cross Zone
Waiting for: SRW OG the 2nd
#17chex81Posted 11/20/2012 7:31:42 AM
mobile gaming has captured a bigger market share, due to cost and everyone has a cell phone. i gotta say though, 99.9% of the iOS/Android games are boring or get boring within 5 mins...imo. this is why i picked up a 3DS.
---
gt/psn: chex81
#18EinvaltPosted 11/20/2012 5:01:26 PM
robomasteralpha posted...
Coincidentally, anyone who made the switch to mobile gaming 5 years ago when the iPhone came out wasn't really much of a gamer to begin with.

What does that have to do with anything? The issue here is that people without any expertise in the consumer electronics industry are trying to debate technology and the handheld gaming market. If you've never even owned an iPhone, you don't know what you are talking about. Plain and simple.
#19robomasteralphaPosted 11/20/2012 5:50:23 PM
Einvalt posted...
robomasteralpha posted...

What does that have to do with anything? The issue here is that people without any expertise in the consumer electronics industry are trying to debate technology and the handheld gaming market. If you've never even owned an iPhone, you don't know what you are talking about. Plain and simple.

Nothing, really. But it's cute that you actually think that owning an iPhone is a prerequisite to weigh in on the issue.
---
Shop smart. Shop Mario Mart.