Etrian Odyssey IV coming to NA on February 26, 2013; extras included.

#21ParominPosted 11/21/2012 5:50:50 PM(edited)
Don't really understand why people don't find EO1 the easiest if we're going to talk about abusable skills.

It had a party wide buff which negates most of the damage from enemy attacks. It had three, but the other two were just overkill.

It also had a TP Regen skill.

EO3 has so many more broken combinations but I can think of only one that reached the ridiculousness of Immunize+Relaxing. And as far as just how broken things got, EO2 wasn't so far behind.

EO2's game breaking setups just got more and more rigid with class selection the more stuff in the game you wanted to break. EO3 only got really specific with the most optimal setup, but simply breaking the game allowed for more combinations. Then again EO1 just required two classes. Plus a third for an easy post game.

TLDR for overpowered setups, EO3 has quantity, EO1 has quality.

Also what does a L99 level cap have to do with how easy a game is? You needed to beat 3 post game bosses to get it, and the ultimate post game boss eats L99 parties for breakfast that aren't prepared for it. Yet a L70 party that's prepared for it has little trouble. Just like all the other EO games. L99 doesn't have a big effect on the game's difficulty.

---
Playing: Project Cross Zone
Waiting for: SRW OG the 2nd
#22Nickcool1996Posted 11/21/2012 6:02:28 PM
This should be the best game out for Western markets at that time.

Pick it up everyone.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nickcool1996?feature=mhum
http://sadpanda.us/images/723723-KR3JJKL.jpg
#23advocacyPosted 11/21/2012 6:10:38 PM
Does it Automap now? Or do you still have to manually sketch the terrain?
---
I'm coming at you, bro.
#24IAznDragonI YanPosted 11/21/2012 6:22:02 PM
JebusMcNasty posted...
I keep hearing about this game... What's it all about?

Simply put, it's a turn-based dungeon crawling RPG with heavy emphasis on exploration. The series is notably difficult, so don't go in expecting something you can just breeze through. If you're thinking about picking it up, check a couple of videos of the earlier games; see if you'd like them. If you want to get one of the earlier games, I'd recommend 3, it's the easiest for beginners.

i know you have to draw maps to get through a stage. do you have to play EO 1-3 to understand 4 or are they all standalone kinda like final fantasy?
---
Tu fui, ego eris
What you are, I was. What I am, you will be.
#25SakurafanboyPosted 11/21/2012 6:31:44 PM
*adds to pre-order list*
---
Team Gracidea - We live to love!
Proud fan of all that is Shaymin!
#26OoSubaruoOPosted 11/21/2012 6:33:36 PM
I already pre-ordered it when it was announced to launch in NA.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 0605-4074-6062
#271upsuperPosted 11/21/2012 10:55:38 PM
AznDragon, they're all pretty much standalone, though II had an import option to bring your characters from I into II, IIRC. It's been a while.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
#28AkaneJonesPosted 11/21/2012 11:08:20 PM
Paromin posted...
Also what does a L99 level cap have to do with how easy a game is? You needed to beat 3 post game bosses to get it, and the ultimate post game boss eats L99 parties for breakfast that aren't prepared for it. Yet a L70 party that's prepared for it has little trouble. Just like all the other EO games. L99 doesn't have a big effect on the game's difficulty.

It dictate the maximum skill points your character can have. Add together the skill points you get from retiring + the bonus points from sub classes you end up with far more extra points. In EO1 to set up the perfect Revenging Hexor party you had to limit things so you could get Max HP on the Hexor plus the skills needed to make Revenge work. Then you had to mess with the Troubadour and Rexaling and Stamina. And finally chuck a Medic with only one point Revive so there.

If this was EO3 style you could just Sub-class Hexor to a Ninja to save TP. Then dump the rest of the skills points in HP + stuff need for Revenge. Final you would just make the Troubadour Sub-class Medic for the point in Revive and Cure. Not only would you only need to party members, but plenty they have left over skill point. To make it worse you could make the entire front row of three Hopelite Dark Hunters with drain for tank heal. Now that's broken. Even without the EO3 classes, Protector would work for Hopelite and Alchemist for Ninja and effects would be the same.
#29CryWolfePosted 11/22/2012 12:10:08 AM
I'm happy for all you people who get to play this in NA next year.
...Now please bring it to Europe!
---
Always aim for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll end up between the stars.
#30ParominPosted 11/22/2012 12:32:17 AM(edited)
It dictate the maximum skill points your character can have. Add together the skill points you get from retiring + the bonus points from sub classes you end up with far more extra points

Useless. Boss killing builds are done with less than 72 skill points. Everything else is just excess skills invested in crap like HP Up or TP Up

In EO1 to set up the perfect Revenging Hexor party you had to limit things so you could get Max HP on the Hexor plus the skills needed to make Revenge work.

Revenge Hexer? In EO1? They're horricrap. The Alchemist + Landshark does AoE better. Their single target damage falls short of Survivalist, the Landshark, the Ronin.

Couple that with how all the other classes don't have a ridiculous upkeep of having only 1 HP.

Then you had to mess with the Troubadour and Rexaling and Stamina. And finally chuck a Medic with only one point Revive so there.

You're using a ****ty build of course it'll suck. This has nothing to do with how many skill points you get. Even if you got unlimited skill points it doesn't change how bad a Revenge Hexer is in EO1.

The reason they're overpowered in EO2 is that Dark Hunters have a Force Skill which lands all three binds without fail, Protectors and Gunners can shut down a boss's damage for one turn. And the damage formula changed so much that everyone's damage was brought down a ton while Hexers ignored enemy Defense.

A Survivalist doing 2K damage per turn is normal in EO1, which is how much damage a 1/999HP Revenge Hexer does. But no class can even come close to 2K damage in EO2 on end game bosses without resorting to Force Skills or some fancy L1 Landshark Counter strategy.

FOEs can be easily brought down with Revenge + Climax as well. Torpor had 100% accuracy on regular mobs even in the 6th stratum, as opposed in EO1 where regular enemies started resisting Status Effects in the 4th Stratum.

In short Revenge Hexers had all the support they needed in EO2, and they became the biggest source of single target damage in the game by far.

---
Playing: Project Cross Zone
Waiting for: SRW OG the 2nd