So was just on the Layton Wikia...Layton's role is ending next year?

#11nonexistingheroPosted 11/25/2012 9:42:57 AM
I personally think there's just too many Layton games. They should've quit at 3. But well, I guess Level 5 can't do that, with the Layton games making so much profit for them.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#12zinformantPosted 11/25/2012 9:49:14 AM
Halladay32 posted...
The seventh game in the series will be Professor Justice and the Chords of Steel, which will be a critical disappointment, prompting Layton to return as the main protagonist in the eighth game.

Objection! It wasn't a 'critical disappointment'. It's just risky (foolish?) marketing to discard the main character prematurely. It'd be as if we had Super Wario Sunshine. It would sell, but it would sell better as the game we know.

I'm with the guy who said Layton jumped the shark some time ago. Let it rest; this series is stale. I understand it has fans, but I can't imagine how the folks behind the gmae haven't wanted a change of pace yet.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#13Halladay32Posted 11/25/2012 10:15:31 AM
Before I posted my first message, I actually checked GameRankings, and you're right, it wasn't panned by critics like I was led to believe. I was referring more to the fanbase anyway, which seems to hate it with a vehement passion (I personally don't, but I do consider it the weakest of the series). I was being a tad inflammatory as well :P

My intuition though is that the Layton series will follow the same fate as the Ace Attorney series; i.e. introduce new protagonist, have fans in an uproar over this change, resort to re-introducing old protagonist in the next game.
---
"The man's a universe unto himself -- ever expanding and plagued by entropy."
#14MineralPlusBoxPosted 11/25/2012 12:41:25 PM
Halladay32 posted...
The seventh game in the series will be Professor Justice and the Chords of Steel, which will be a critical disappointment, prompting Layton to return as the main protagonist in the eighth game.

Wait a second ...
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#15Wynters387Posted 11/25/2012 12:45:57 PM
Halladay32 posted...
Before I posted my first message, I actually checked GameRankings, and you're right, it wasn't panned by critics like I was led to believe. I was referring more to the fanbase anyway, which seems to hate it with a vehement passion (I personally don't, but I do consider it the weakest of the series). I was being a tad inflammatory as well :P

My intuition though is that the Layton series will follow the same fate as the Ace Attorney series; i.e. introduce new protagonist, have fans in an uproar over this change, resort to re-introducing old protagonist in the next game.

They can always have the series follow Luke. Therefore fans wouldn't have that big of an issue.
---
Remember Senor, crafter of love.
President of the NDF
#16Halladay32Posted 11/25/2012 2:26:29 PM
Wynters387 posted...
They can always have the series follow Luke. Therefore fans wouldn't have that big of an issue.

I think that's a possibility, and perhaps their best course of action if they do indeed want to continue the series. The name Layton is iconic though, and like zinformant said, it's risky to discard it and essentially start anew, even if it's the best and most appropriate option.
---
#17Wynters387Posted 11/25/2012 3:10:38 PM
Halladay32 posted...
Wynters387 posted...

I think that's a possibility, and perhaps their best course of action if they do indeed want to continue the series. The name Layton is iconic though, and like zinformant said, it's risky to discard it and essentially start anew, even if it's the best and most appropriate option.

True I just think there is less risk if it's with a familiar character.

Though would having the son of Professor Layton work better, cause it would keep the name? Detective Layton? Or keep Professor Layton and make it Herschel's grandson...PR daughter.

I guess my question is when marketing is a concern which is less risk? Keeping the name and having it be a brand new character or changing the name and make the lead a very familiar character to the series?
---
Remember Senor, crafter of love.
President of the NDF
#18Halladay32Posted 11/25/2012 5:05:03 PM
The potential issue I see with having even someone notable to the series like Luke take the spotlight, is that non-Layton fans are likely not familiar with Luke. Like, for example, before I started playing the Ace Attorney games earlier this year, I'd still heard of Phoenix Wright and knew who he was, but I'd never remotely heard of Apollo Justice (or even Edgeworth, or Maya, or anyone really) until I got into the series. I think name recognition goes a long way in encouraging some people to buy a new game from a series.

If they do decide to keep the Layton name and shift focus to one of Layton's children/relatives, I wonder if the series will then follow that Layton Brothers game. I really don't know much about that game though...
---
#19IAznDragonI YanPosted 11/25/2012 11:34:10 PM
IAznDragonI Yan posted...
at least we have his son...

Who would the mother be?

who knows. could be emma or anyone really.
---
Tu fui, ego eris
What you are, I was. What I am, you will be.