Link's Awakening or Cave Story?

#1TUUPAPosted 11/25/2012 3:28:35 PM(edited)
I have exactly $10 on the e-shop and the two game I've been looking into were Zelda DX and Cave story (the 3D ware ver)

I haven't played either before

The only 2D zelda games I own are A Link to Past(?) and Minish Cap. (I enjoyed both)
I'm also 19 so I've been mostly growing up with 3D games, but I've just been craving for a good 2D game these days! D^:

I'm very interested in game soundtracks as well so if you could compare OSTs in these two games....

Taking all this into account, which would you recommend for me?
If would be great if it's by someone who have played both games.

+
and please don't just say get cave story on the PC!
I rarely am able to play games if not on a portable system
thank you~

PS/ Also if you recommend Link's Awakening, what other game on the eshop would you recommend to get with the leftover money?

---
3DS: 0516-7392-4087
#2LunarRoarPosted 11/25/2012 3:32:52 PM
Link's Awakening is the better game IMO. Cave Story didn't leave much of an impression on me honestly.
---
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=lunarroar
Official Grand Master Assassin of New York (Assassin's Creed 3 board)
#3SuperMario1998Posted 11/25/2012 3:39:41 PM
Cave Story is one of THE BEST GAMES EVAR.

...great, GREAT 8 bit OST too. I actually have it on my Ipod it's so good.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3vDtZeo1YQ
Iwata: (laughs) 3DS FC: 2020-0024-6119
#4mountainmohawkPosted 11/25/2012 3:42:06 PM
Hmm, well both are definitely worth your time and money so, I would make sure to get them both at some point. With that said ill share my thoughts to help you decide on which one to go for at this moment in time.

Zelda
-Without giving anything away, this is definitely one of the stranger Zelda titles. Gameplay is exactly like the other Zelda's, which is a good thing. The soundtrack...honestly I can't even really remember any specific songs. That's not to say its bad, just (IMO) not that memorable. Graphics are decent for a GBC game and if you like Zelda, you'll like this one too.

Cave Story
-If you dont, know, this is pretty much a Metroidvania. It would have fit right at home on the NES or Snes. You get new guns, explore new areas, and just have a good time (especially if you enjoy platformers). In regards to the music...it is AMAZING. seriously, it will bring a smile to your face. The characters are interesting, the music is charming, and theres a good bit of replay value. There have been different releases with different amounts of content, but this and the Steam version are pretty much the definitive ones to get.

Tl;dr: based on your post and my personal thoughts, go for Cave Story. (And get Zelda dx sometime down the road ;) )
---
3DS friend code: (4983-4966-3074),
PSN: mountainmohawk, 360: m0untainm0hawk
#5TUUPA(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 4:04:31 PM(edited)
mountainmohawk posted...
Hmm, well both are definitely worth your time and money so, I would make sure to get them both at some point. With that said ill share my thoughts to help you decide on which one to go for at this moment in time.

Zelda
-Without giving anything away, this is definitely one of the stranger Zelda titles. Gameplay is exactly like the other Zelda's, which is a good thing. The soundtrack...honestly I can't even really remember any specific songs. That's not to say its bad, just (IMO) not that memorable. Graphics are decent for a GBC game and if you like Zelda, you'll like this one too.

Cave Story
-If you dont, know, this is pretty much a Metroidvania. It would have fit right at home on the NES or Snes. You get new guns, explore new areas, and just have a good time (especially if you enjoy platformers). In regards to the music...it is AMAZING. seriously, it will bring a smile to your face. The characters are interesting, the music is charming, and theres a good bit of replay value. There have been different releases with different amounts of content, but this and the Steam version are pretty much the definitive ones to get.

Tl;dr: based on your post and my personal thoughts, go for Cave Story. (And get Zelda dx sometime down the road ;) )

I was also leaning towards Cave story because I've heard the soundtracks are just so good but you helped me decide for good!
Thanks a bunch!

+ Thank you to the others as well :^D
---
#6Enigma149Posted 11/25/2012 4:27:32 PM
mountainmohawk posted...

Zelda

Cave Story

I'd go for Cave Story, too, but...you couldn't remember a single song from Link's Awakening? Because I seem to remember a certain Ballad that played a mighty important role in the plot...
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; PS3 sold in anticipation of PS4. If you added CrimsonEnigma, I no longer use the account.
'Your opinion does not matter.' -DesperateMonkey
#7jumper1234Posted 11/25/2012 4:32:59 PM
SuperMario1998 posted...
Cave Story is one of THE BEST GAMES EVAR.

this.
---
Waiting for: Retro City Rampage (XBLA), Terraria (XBLA)
3DS FC: 3652-1930-9604 (PM me your fc if you add me)
#8BluesMX90Posted 11/25/2012 4:35:28 PM
Both are really good games, but I say go with Link's Awakening.
---
The Official SeeD Member of whatever FF Board
As long as you don't get your hopes up, you can take anything... You feel less pain. ~ Squall
#9Remmy8199Posted 11/25/2012 4:35:46 PM
As a huge Zelda fan, I'm going to have to say Cave Story. Links Awakening was one of my least favorite Zelda games.
#10TUUPA(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 4:52:23 PM
Thanks guys~
I got the cave story a few moments ago and it looks awesome so far (I love the music.)
But I'm sad to admit I do suck at these kind of games so I'm going with easy mode right now haha XD
---