Shigeru Miyamoto "Nintendo games are not art but products"

#1MuZemikePosted 11/27/2012 12:59:36 AM
Here is the quote from the interview.
Shigeru Miyamoto "What we have created are not art but products. For us, the main are the customers and not games themselves. I always tell staff to call Nintendo games products, not art."

Source (in Japanese)
http://gamez.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0910/27/news082_3.html
#2Catcher_FreemanPosted 11/27/2012 1:15:08 AM
Yeah, I don't know wth is wrong with Miyamoto.

He should be honored that people consider the games he and other Nintendo employees work on "art".
---
Swagodile's alt.
#3lambchipsPosted 11/27/2012 1:32:51 AM
i heard something like this last year...
as long as he keeps making great games, i'll buy it

video games is just business to those guys... it gets them money

only gamers see video games as an art... people that make video games at a AAA level will have to focus on the mass because they pour resources into it

i saw this "is game art" panel and one of the speakers said that developers are crafters and not artists... they craft the game and put it out, its up to the gamer to connect with this product
^ i agree with his view
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#4sockesockePosted 11/27/2012 1:40:18 AM
art is a product as well, i still disagree with miyamoto though.
---
MotiJr:Sony copied George Foreman grills with their playstation 3 design.
http://backloggery.com/sockesocke
#5legendarylemurPosted 11/27/2012 1:41:49 AM
This is pretty old, but Miyamoto's quote actually makes a lot of sense. Art isn't fun, and it honestly doesn't have to be "get" by everybody. Games on the other hand relies entirely on the concept of fun and appealing to their audiences. You don't make video games to deliver a message, you make video games so that people can play it and have fun. If you ignore that "product" side of video games, your game is simply gonna suck. The select few will like it as a glorified 2nd grade art project, but ultimately the mindset that your game needs to be considered fun by the customers should be top priority.
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
Official official. Officially
#6Dinoman96Posted 11/27/2012 2:55:39 AM
honestly he's right.

Games AREN'T art folks, and games need to stop trying to be art. All you're left with is shallow non-games like Fez, Heavy Rain, etc.
---
wargle gargle
#7aamotPosted 11/27/2012 3:03:12 AM
By lemur's description, I enjoy the games that are portrayed more as "art" vastly more than other games. The ones that the developers pour themselves into - usually their first published game, or a more "experimental" game. The ones that seem to have a message above "buy it, everybody."

The games that have a specific audience in mind when they're developed.
---
chrisAAMO
#8SMASHKING84Posted 11/27/2012 4:03:24 AM
music:art
movies:art

video games contain music,storylines,etc

just because there interactive doesn't make them not artistic.
by this logic no movie is ever art because you can interact with them using a remote control.

please don't tell it has to do with movies being static.
i know many games that your interactions only temporarily change area you do them.
there's also many games that no matter what you do the story stays the same.

hell in pokemon you cannot even get a gameover so no matter what you do your actions won't affect the outcome of the game just how long it takes you see it.

really you look up art and it's difined as an expression of imagination” in other words anything you create could be considered art.

books,movies,tv shows,music,games can all be art.

and frankly if you define art as non interactive that excludes everything...
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:3
unless i state otherwise everything i say is MY opinion.
#9protect_badgersPosted 11/27/2012 4:09:49 AM
Lol take that art nerds.

Lol @ games being art - Miyamoto FTW!
---
Former Pony, but now its time to switch horses midstream.......
#10IHeartMetroidPosted 11/27/2012 4:59:12 AM
This would explain why I've hated practically everything Miyamoto's done in the last decade or so.

It also explains a lot of the motives behind the man, and exposes a dark truth.

Think about something, for a moment. Bear with me on this-

Mario, Link, Zelda and Donkey Kong are all decades old creations. They are among the most iconic representations of all things Nintendo, right? Of everything that has been created, they are THE most "Nintendo".

And Miyamoto gets credit for all of them.

But I've been studying the man for years, and here's the thing.

I posit that he didn't create them.

Now before you flame, hear me out! Back when Mario and Donkey Kong were first incepted, Miyamoto was still very young and very new at Nintendo. It would seem strange that characters he personally created, in such an environment as a traditional Japanese corporation, would be promoted, until you know why. That is, when these characters were designed, Miyamoto was under the direct watch, tutorage and guidance of the legendary Gumpei Yokoi- from whom came the iconic Game Boy, Game and Watch, Kid Icarus and Metroid.

So what I am saying is that far from being a Legendary Genius- Miyamoto was able to put forward Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong and such because he was directly being taught, influence and helped by Yokoi.

What can we see, also, when Gumpei left to do his own projects? After that space of a few years, when the designer was on his own, how many OTHER iconic characters can we name that emerged from his mind?

That's right. It was all Mario and Zelda. Kirby was HAL. StarFox was Argonaut.

And when the man gets total control? We get... Wii Music!

I would venture that, far from reverence, perhaps the words of the "legendary" designer might be taken with a grain of salt.