Shigeru Miyamoto "Nintendo games are not art but products"

#91Baha05Posted 11/29/2012 5:23:18 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...
Funny how people are making the assumption that art games have to somehow suck, when the last art game released was Journey, a title released to near universal acclaim...

Was it highly acclaimed for the art or the gameplay?
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#92IHeartMetroidPosted 11/29/2012 5:29:10 PM(edited)
Baha05 posted...

It was celebrated for its art direction, for the most part; Journey's bare gameplay in and of itself, stripped of the artistic quality of the experience, for the most part entails walking forward and occasionally jumping. And that doesn't matter at all- the premise is that a game designed from the ground up to be artistic somehow has to suck, while games designed from the ground up are somehow paragons of entertainment.
#93Shuo_RagnarokPosted 11/29/2012 5:37:08 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...
Baha05 posted...

It was celebrated for its art direction, for the most part; Journey's bare gameplay in and of itself, stripped of the artistic quality of the experience, for the most part entails walking forward and occasionally jumping. And that doesn't matter at all- the premise is that a game designed from the ground up to be artistic somehow has to suck, while games designed from the ground up are somehow paragons of entertainment.

Here's the thing though. I think the whole 'games made for art, suck' thing is speaking generally. How many other games out there, like Journey, are an exception to this?
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC:4084-3346-5023
3DS FC: 5069-3924-4114
#94IHeartMetroidPosted 11/29/2012 5:42:14 PM
"Here's the thing though. I think the whole 'games made for art, suck' thing is speaking generally"

Which is why speaking in generalities is a ridiculous proposition.

How many "art" games are even out there at the moment? How many companies are actively out there designing them besides ThatGameCompany?

And conversely, how many "just for gameplay" games throughout history, designed with Miyamoto's philosophy in mind, still ended up being trash? For every "Super Mario 3", how many "Ren+Stimpy: Time Warp" games have been released?

Generalities are stupid.
#95QuantumWolfPosted 11/29/2012 7:09:38 PM
Who cares what Miyamoto thinks? When did his word suddenly become God that we will be punished if we don't take his words to heart? In the end it matters what you think. If you think they're art and you firmly believe that, stick to that.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 3740-3024-4512
#96VyersPosted 11/29/2012 9:42:31 PM
Journey was acclaimed for its co-op.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Blog: http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=6123776 / YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear
#97WiltISdaBESTPosted 11/29/2012 10:46:31 PM
they are art and products art because of the creativity and products because people buy them.
---
NEW JACK SWING YEP YEP!!!!!
#98MarioGalaxy2Posted 11/29/2012 11:15:37 PM
Does anyone think their might of been a miss communication with translation making sound a bit too much like it's not art its about money.

If not, I agree in a sense that game development should be about making players enjoy your game the primary influence.

I'm not saying that games should be let's do this because it's popular in the industry, but do it so the player can have great time.

Basically think about the player playing the game.
---
My Fan Made Starter Pokemon www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKoeZ8z98Bo