Miyamoto ruined Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

#1CloudStrife630Posted 11/29/2012 6:09:21 AM
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501850

Quote:
Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the projectó"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

Quote:
I originally saw it in a way that's similar to Miyamoto-san. Personally I think all we need is to have an objective to win the boss battle at the end of the game. I didn't think we necessarily needed a lengthy story like in an RPG. Instead, we looked at the characteristics of a portable game that can be played little by little in small pieces and packed in lots of little episodes and ideas. I always did like putting in little ideas, so I actually enjoyed it.

---
http://www.abload.de/img/regxzjgs.gif
#2BigDaddyWingnutPosted 11/29/2012 6:17:03 AM
New and exciting!
---
3DS:1547-5206-2758 (Wingnut)
"I saw it... I saw it..."
#3fuzi11Posted 11/29/2012 6:22:59 AM
what kind of logic is this?

game designers: "Our basis is a franchise that is known for having rpg elements and a story."

Miyamoto: "Do we really need a story in a story driven game?"

apple-polishers and yes-men: "Of course Miyamoto-san. You are right, Miyamoto-san. You are so smart, Miyamoto-san"

game designers: "okay...."
#4Solar_CrimsonPosted 11/29/2012 6:27:27 AM
We know already. It's been established that perhaps it's about time for Miyamoto to retire.
---
http://backloggery.com/SolarCrimson - My Backloggery
The official Okuninushi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#5VideoGamer1990Posted 11/29/2012 6:57:29 AM(edited)
Miyamoto ruined Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

*reads quote*

Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the projectó"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

Much to others' shagrin, he did not tell them to not make a story or new characters. As the quotes say, "It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world." As much as possible does not mean MUST only use characters from the series and his other quote does not say anything on telling them not to make a story, just that it didn't need one if they wanted. In other words, reading it wrong like with the art & product quote.

Miyamoto: "Do we really need a story in a story driven game?"

Last time I checked, the story-driven part of the Paper Mario series came with Thousand-Year Door. There was story in the first one, but compared to the 2nd game, not really story-driven.
---
Not changing this sig until Breath of Fire VI gets announced.
Breath of Fire needs to stop resting and start waking up. People who agree: 48
#6Bass_X0Posted 11/29/2012 6:47:22 AM
I did think that there was too much story in Super Paper Mario that it was an unwelcome distraction from the gameplay.
---
"History always favors the victor at the expense of the truth." ~ Rook
#7CrystalKing5426Posted 11/29/2012 7:11:47 AM
Bass_X0 posted...
I did think that there was too much story in Super Paper Mario that it was an unwelcome distraction from the gameplay.

But does that mean you want the complete opposite?

In terms of how much story these games had:

Most Super Mario games<Sunshine=Sticker Star <<<<<<Paper Mario <<<<<Thousand Year Door <<<Super Paper Mario. SMRPG is at the same level as PM64, and the M&L series is between 64 and TTYD.

I'm avid supporter of the Gameplay before Story school of thought, but that doesn't mean I want it to be nonexistent for every genre. For platformers it's fine. Just give a baisc narrative to get things goings and focus on the mechanics and level design. RPGs typically require stronger narrative and character interaction and is generally an important aspect of the genre.
#8Bass_X0Posted 11/29/2012 7:21:58 AM(edited)
Not the complete opposite, somewhere in the middle. Not too much and not too little.

Story in videogames is a good thing. When you have to watch an unskippable 30 minute intro when you start the game, that is not fine.
---
"History always favors the victor at the expense of the truth." ~ Rook
#9Quiet_NoisePosted 11/29/2012 7:40:51 AM
In just a handful of years, I've grown to hate capcom, accepted the fact that Monster Hunter will never happen on a sony system, have no faith in any game with the words "Final Fantasy" in them, think World of Warcraft has jumped the shark despite being a huge advocate for wanting pandaren in game, and now Miyamato says games aren't art and he's foregoing story?

Here, let me spread my legs so Atlus can furiously drive their foot into my crotch over and over again, thus completing the desecration of everything I held dear in gaming.
#10gikosPosted 11/29/2012 7:50:59 AM
i feel sorry for Miyamoto. here is a guy who tried to make Zelda TP bit more story the other ones and the fanbase hated.now he is trying to put everything on gameplay first story last or may not be needed and this is the hate he gets.well from most fans anyway so whatever he does lose/lose
i am going to get this game becuz to me it looks fun tho
---
"You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty." - Sacha Guitry (1885-1957)