Really looking forward to a new Zelda on this.

#11IAznDragonI YanPosted 11/30/2012 3:05:48 PM
As long as they don't kill it with tedious transport systems or something like the Temple if the Ocean King, I'd be on board.

don't forget forcing us to use the stylus to control link. they should just return to old school controls. enough with the stylus controls on zelda games
---
Tu fui, ego eris
What you are, I was. What I am, you will be.
#12minterwannyPosted 12/1/2012 6:39:19 AM
Compass posted...
minterwanny posted...
Argh4430 posted...
abbyhitter posted...
The good news is that the bottom screen is smaller and does not have the 3D effect. They won't give us a game that controls like PH and ST. Touch screen controls will be for menus only.

You're being too hopeful. Aren't they still going on the "touchscreen-only" controlled games for portable Zeldas? Or was that only for the DS?

I can't see why anyone would think that a new 3DS Zelda game will be touchscreen only.

The 3D only works on the bigger top screen.

With this in mind, why would Nintendo release a game controlled and presented on their smaller inferior touch screen? I suppose you could have 3D menus... that you wouldn't be able to use intuitively like those on a touchscreen.

There are plenty of touch-screen only 3DS games where you only look at the top screen while using the stylus below. I wouldn't put it past them.

That's not touch-screen only like the DS Zelda games.

That's Kid Icarus controls.
#13Argh4430Posted 12/1/2012 8:51:25 AM
minterwanny posted...

Uh, that is touch-screen only.
#14RyuVegasPosted 12/1/2012 9:22:07 AM
Argh4430 posted...
minterwanny posted...

Except you can turn them off if you want and use alternate controls. You aren't allowed to the change the controls AT ALL on the DS Legend of Zeldas. Totally different scenario.

But I, too, can't wait for a built-exclusively-for-the-3DS Legend of Zelda. And I haven't even experienced OoT3D yet. But Kid Icarus is phenomenal so I have fairly high hopes.
---
http://backloggery.com/ryuvega LP: LoZ: Majora's Mask
"I've seen Ryu on the MtG board so he's already cooler than most of you." ~ XImperialDragon
#15DanspurtPosted 12/1/2012 9:50:51 AM
The top screen is also a different format than the bottom screen this time around, and PH and ST were heavily built on switching action between the two screens, as well as looking at them both in synergy.
It just wouldn't work the same if one of them is bigger and in 3D.

But look, even if we do get the ST and PH gameplay layout (which would be cool, I think), there's no reason to make it touch screen only. The analogue slide pad allows for the depth in movement those games had, beyond anything the DS could do with buttons.
---
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never really know how accurate they actually are" - Abraham Lincoln
#16minterwannyPosted 12/1/2012 10:00:02 AM
Argh4430 posted...
minterwanny posted...

Oh right.

I forgot that the slide pad and L button are on the touch screen...
#17kabii_samaPosted 12/1/2012 11:31:49 AM(edited)
Marsford posted...
How about a Link to the Past inspired version in 3D?

Basically different story, overworld outline, dungeons, items, etc., but the same vibe and pacing. F***, in that game when you were on death mountain, you f****** felt like you were on Death Mountain.

If you mean a Zelda game that goes back to the series' roots by focusing on action and exploration above all else, then I would love that. Although, if you meant a true 3D Zelda game like Ocarina of Time, I don't think it would really have the same level of difficulty as Link to the Past (a top-down Zelda).
#18PiichiPosted 12/1/2012 12:16:26 PM
Personally, I'm curious how well Skyward Sword-style swordplay would work on the 3DS. Slashing the stylus the direction you want to swing the sword could allow for similar gameplay. Of course, that kind of control style wouldn't appeal to everyone, so perhaps button controls could emulate that as an alternative through player's choice. (X for upslash, B for downslash, X+A for up-right diagonal slash, etc.) Overcomplicated controls aren't good, but perhaps something like this could work....
---
Visit my YouTube channel for video game music sequences, remixes, and originals by yours truly!
http://www.youtube.com/PeachToadstool
#19kabii_samaPosted 12/1/2012 1:30:20 PM
Piichi posted...
Personally, I'm curious how well Skyward Sword-style swordplay would work on the 3DS. Slashing the stylus the direction you want to swing the sword could allow for similar gameplay. Of course, that kind of control style wouldn't appeal to everyone, so perhaps button controls could emulate that as an alternative through player's choice. (X for upslash, B for downslash, X+A for up-right diagonal slash, etc.) Overcomplicated controls aren't good, but perhaps something like this could work....

I wouldn't really want something involving the stylus again even if the circle pad were used as well, because (regardless of which hand you hold it in) you're sacrificing several buttons or the circle pad and a button for touch screen control (and for your idea, the touch screen would basically work like a second circle pad). With only one real button left, it would presumably be your sole button reserved for item use, and I'd really like another Zelda with many items and the ability to use multiple items at once.

If anything, maybe an optional control scheme could be made for those with the Circle Pad Pro that allows you to slash your sword in specific directions using the right circle pad (the B button would be used for stabs). If it's anything like my ideal 3D Zelda control scheme, you could use the right circle pad for camera control when walking around and for directional sword slashes when targeting an enemy or object.