Could Harvest Moon: A New Beginning be worth it for me? (Never played HM)

#1Koi_TenchiPosted 11/30/2012 1:37:07 PM
So I've never played a Harvest Moon game before but I've been considering picking one up for the 3DS. I play a lot more portable games than console games, as I travel a lot, so this type of game would make a lot more sense to me on a portable. I'd been considering picking one up since early in the lifespan of the system when Tale of Two Towns 3D came out, but I heard that was a buggy and glitchy mess so I never picked it up...

I've been hearing generally good things about this one though, so I'm assuming it's a pretty solid title with no major glitches?

Anyways, just for some background, I've enjoyed Animal Crossing in the past a bit. I have both the GC and DS titles and enjoyed them a lot. I've been craving a similar title recently and picked up the Wii AC for cheap yesterday but... I don't know, it really feels very much like I've just done this all before, you know? I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. Not to mention, as I stated prior, I can't see myself keeping up with it as well since it isn't portable.

I always heard the HM series was somewhat similar and I guess that's sort of what I'm hoping for. Something that's similar without being... exactly the same thing, like I've been feeling like AC City Folk is.

So, just one or two more questions:

1) One of my favorite things in AC has always been the collection aspect of the museum. Is there anything equivalent?

2) Does the game punish me if I don't play for a few days? (Like the weeds and such in AC)

Thanks for the help guys!
---
It's a secret to everybody.
#2XRay2984Posted 11/30/2012 2:03:33 PM
1) Not really, but there is plenty to do, particularly when it comes to rebuilding the town. Additionally, the town is incredibly customizable, which is nice.

2) Not at all, understand that this series does not run on a real world clock like the Animal Crossing games do. So you simply play from day to day - stop for a while and you'll be exactly where you left off when you return.

For an excellent, informative guide for what to expect from this game, check out the following link:

http://fogu.com/hm11/

It is not nearly complete yet due to conversion from the Japanse version, but most of what you need to get started can be found here. Additionally, the site's forum is full of incredibly nice, helpful people should you have further questions.
---
"A woman is like an... artichoke. You must do a bit of work before you can get to her heart."
~Inspector Jacques Clouseau
#3Koi_Tenchi(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 2:08:03 PM
XRay2984 posted...
1) Not really, but there is plenty to do, particularly when it comes to rebuilding the town. Additionally, the town is incredibly customizable, which is nice.

2) Not at all, understand that this series does not run on a real world clock like the Animal Crossing games do. So you simply play from day to day - stop for a while and you'll be exactly where you left off when you return.

For an excellent, informative guide for what to expect from this game, check out the following link:

It is not nearly complete yet due to conversion from the Japanse version, but most of what you need to get started can be found here. Additionally, the site's forum is full of incredibly nice, helpful people should you have further questions.

1) I'm still researching the game a bit, but I read something about collecting blueprints? Would that be similar-ish?

2) Huh... I thought the newer ones did run on a real world clock. I guess I must have heard wrong. One of the reviews I read (I believe it was the IGN one) made a comment that REALLY early on there's only a few days worth of gameplay a day...

I'll definitely check out that link. Thanks for that.

Also, I'm guessing no real world clock also means no real world holidays and all?
---
It's a secret to everybody.
#4MereMarePosted 11/30/2012 2:59:27 PM(edited)
Only the 3DS version of The Tale of Two Towns is buggy, the DS version is fine.

As for a somewhat similar clone of Animal Crossing, try Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times. It's on the DS.
---
Zelda is an ACTION-ADVENTURE, not an RPG!!!
Japan is the center of the gaming universe.
#5malfionPosted 11/30/2012 3:22:35 PM(edited)
Koi_Tenchi posted...
XRay2984 posted...

1) I'm still researching the game a bit, but I read something about collecting blueprints? Would that be similar-ish?

2) Huh... I thought the newer ones did run on a real world clock. I guess I must have heard wrong. One of the reviews I read (I believe it was the IGN one) made a comment that REALLY early on there's only a few days worth of gameplay a day...

Also, I'm guessing no real world clock also means no real world holidays and all?

What IGN meant was that early on (since the first month is a tutorial), you reallycan only just water your crops, give presents to people, feed your animals and forage in the forest, which means that by 1-2PM in game time, you'll either want to forage some more or just continue on to the next day. Later on, you get tons of stuff to do and manage.

There aren't any real world holidays (and one year in the game is 4 months).
---
http://i.imgflip.com/5mil.gif
#6tivanenkPosted 12/1/2012 11:47:05 AM
malfion posted...
Koi_Tenchi posted...
XRay2984 posted...

What IGN meant was that early on (since the first month is a tutorial), you reallycan only just water your crops, give presents to people, feed your animals and forage in the forest, which means that by 1-2PM in game time, you'll either want to forage some more or just continue on to the next day. Later on, you get tons of stuff to do and manage.

There aren't any real world holidays (and one year in the game is 4 months).

To say there aren't any real world holidays isn't completely true since there are holidays based off New Years and Halloween. Btw, for your question about blueprints, it actually is quite similar because you need to collect them to build new stuff and collecting them all takes a good chunk of time. Plus, there is so much other things to do such as raising the friendship of the other people, etc. If you get hooked by this game, expect to be spending at LEAST 200 hours on it.,
---
3DS FC: 5198 - 2682 - 1684
#7Plasma EXEPosted 12/1/2012 11:59:47 AM
As this is my first Harvest Moon, it's a lot of fun after the first month. You'll probably hear a lot of people say that because every few days for the first month, you get a tutorial for all the kinds of tools you can use to improve your farm and don't get access to things like blue prints until the end of the month. Until then, you're limited to collecting bugs, gifting towns people, and taking care of crops. You really do need to harvest items because the town renovations may require items that you could only get from a previous month and you're left with the options of waiting a full year or going online to trade items.

As you play more, you get new blueprints to make new houses (or homes for people that move into your town) are given to you and when you make them, they give you neat benefits like buying animals, buying pets, flying to another land to collect stuff for a price, going to a resauraunt to regenerate your stamina, a shop to making clothing, etc. It's a lot of fun. Plus you can marry people and have a child and stuff.
---
The official Shiki-Ouji of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
3DS FC - 2750-1413-5336