Should nintendo think about implementing a handheld acievment system? POLL.

#1DrgonbxcrossPosted 12/2/2012 5:09:49 AM
Should nintendo implement an achievement system for the 3ds and/or beyond? - Results (361 votes)
Absolutely, it should have been done already.
34.35% (124 votes)
Yes, but when they're ready.
19.67% (71 votes)
No. It wouldn't add much and would take away from the focus of other features.
27.15% (98 votes)
Absolutely not, achievements are a gigantic waste of time.
18.84% (68 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Since Sony and Microsoft have been doing this for awhile now (and steam) It makes me wonder why Nintendo hasn't gotten in the game yet. I think the 3ds has enough memory to have some sort of accomplishment system implemented. And it hasn't been done yet for a handheld to my knowledge so it would be a pretty fresh idea.

Personally I think it adds replay value to games and helps you develop ocd, lol. And some games already beg for such a system. I think it would be especially cool for, let's say zelda for example to have a boat load of achievements for the already loads of content in the game. Pokemon would synergize especially well with this system given the already obvious instantly recognizable accomplishments that someone can achieve (think, leveling a certain type up to 100 or capturing every legendary in the game or even filling out the pokedex).

But not everyone wants them, or cares. I just wanted to know other peoples opinions since handhelds seem to be getting pretty advanced with the jump from psp tp vita and ds to 3ds and making a bigger name for themselves in the industry.

Thoughts?
---
this one time, i found a pube in my unopened pokemon game
FC
#2nonexistingheroPosted 12/2/2012 5:16:06 AM
Nope, I think a generalized achievement system will take away from games. It will let developers get away with being lazy and just rewarding you essentially nothing. I do think achievements can be beneficial to some games, but I think it should be part of those games.

I do think Nintendo Streetpass system could use some more features though. Like showing certain stats, like how many hours in total someone has played his/her 3DS, most played games, game list, etc. Leave it up to the players what they want to share, even Friend Codes or Email Adresses when meeting someone multiple times.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#3NathanisDrakePosted 12/2/2012 5:18:42 AM
I never even touch the achievement system on my Vita. >__>
---
I hate fanboys, but VITA fanboys are the most obnoxious of the bunch
Vita PSN : NateisD
#4Drgonbxcross(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2012 5:23:57 AM
NathanisDrake posted...

I wasn't even aware the vita had one : /

Does the vita transfer them to the ps3 if the game is also ps3 compatible?
---
this one time, i found a pube in my unopened pokemon game
FC
#5NathanisDrakePosted 12/2/2012 5:31:26 AM
Drgonbxcross posted...
NathanisDrake posted...

I wasn't even aware the vita had one : /

Does the vita transfer them to the ps3 if the game is also ps3 compatible?

I'm not sure, since I don't own any games that features crossplay yet, sorry. But I think it does.
---
I hate fanboys, but VITA fanboys are the most obnoxious of the bunch
Vita PSN : NateisD
#6guedesbrawlPosted 12/2/2012 5:32:34 AM
i prefer a system like brawl or kid Icarus,as in,each ''achievement'' unlocks an item or something,and they are 95% of times not stupid.you only know how to unlock one when you clear a nearby achievement.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#7PsychoWolfXPosted 12/2/2012 5:37:16 AM
I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Every once in a great while I'll hunt down chevies/trophies on my 360/ps3, but only if they require you to do something that's actually fun. beat the game on hardest dificulty without any healing items? no thanks. Kick a chicken? sure.
#8NekoakumaPosted 12/2/2012 5:40:54 AM
I'm neutral on this.
If games have them individually I don't mind, if it's a system-wide one, I'm leaning towards a no.

Streetpass Plaza already has an achievement system of sorts, as does Bravely Default
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#9Kaze_MemaryuPosted 12/2/2012 6:00:02 AM
A general achievement system (like Sony and MS) would be beyond horrible.
But game-internal achievements are okay as long as you actually get some kind of promotion in the game (new contents, treasures, stuff like that).
---
"Evil, beware. We have waffles..."
- Raven, Teen Titans
#10TheMisfitPosted 12/2/2012 6:18:31 AM
I much prefer is achievements are just implemented into the game like RE Mercs and SSF IV 3D.

I always have syncing problems with achievements on my PC games with Steam. Many I have completed but they don't properly register.

Besides I always prefered creating my own achievements like back in the NE/SNES/N64 days. For example, beat a game without dying, or using no powerups.
---
GameFAQs user & enthusiast for over 10 years.