Is Metroid other M as good as SM: Sunshine?

#21kuwab0Posted 12/3/2012 2:39:55 PM
Sunshine is good just for the fact it isn't a rehash.
#22rahxephon122(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 2:52:27 PM
So does the linearity mean I might miss some upgrades?
---
Ich habe keinen Meister bis auf den Wind der Freiheit!
#23Mariofan15Posted 12/3/2012 3:30:53 PM
So does the linearity mean I might miss some upgrades?

Lol,no. All the upgrades have to be authorized. You dont get any when you defeat a Boss.
---
0476-5632-3140:Pokemon White 2
#24TheNeoVoidPosted 12/3/2012 3:34:45 PM
Everything that made Metroid great is not in Other M.
---
Official Jirachi of the B/W 2 Boards
White FC: 1292 2918 6719
#25Halladay32Posted 12/3/2012 3:43:08 PM
My opinion of Other M seems to get more and more negative as time goes by. I think the consensus is that the story is absolute garbage, even regardless of its portrayal of Samus. A lot of the people who don't hate Other M claim that the gameplay is a positive; but to me at least, it's really bare-bones and not very entertaining. The dodge mechanic and auto-aiming pretty much nullify any semblance of challenge or engaging gameplay. Also, the music is paltry and not memorable (or sometimes even noticeable) in the slightest.
---
"The man's a universe unto himself -- ever expanding and plagued by entropy."
#26Emerald_WyvernPosted 12/3/2012 3:44:20 PM
Gameplay? Average; some neat ideas here and there.
Story? Awful beyond belief.
Everything else? Average as well.
---
"A breach? Here? Bailiff! Get my steed! We need to retreat at once!"
Judge, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
#27brainfreeze10Posted 12/3/2012 3:44:58 PM
I think Other M is pretty fantastic. As has been said, not a good Metroid game, but a very fun action game on its own. I beat it all in basically one sitting. Good music/atmosphere, probably the best looking game on Wii from a purely technical level, fast-paced, tight controls, interesting set pieces. And while there aren't a lot of hidden secrets, going back through for 100% after took an hour or two and that was fun to experiment with as well. But really, my god did the story fall apart at the end. What were they even thinking?

That being said, IMO Star Fox Adventures is incredibly tedious while Super Mario Sunshine is barely passable as fun. So, take that as you will.
---
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!
3DS Friend Code: 1289-8728-7299
#28notacosPosted 12/3/2012 4:32:43 PM
SM sunshine was indeed good. Kinda gimmicky, but a good follow up to 64.

Hated star fox...
glad i only rented that pos

And i just hated both wii metroids to be completely honest. Didn't like: story or the CONTROLS... loved prime 1 & 2 though. Seriously... those were awesome. Gamecude > wii by far
---
3ds Friend code:
1950-7400-2754
#29IHeartMetroidPosted 12/3/2012 4:39:20 PM
The people who think Other M is a good game (action game, Metroid game, duck racing game, etc) seem so blinded by the terrible story that they ignore the bad base gameplay elements present.

* The game is linear as heck, and yet at the same time, unlike other linear corridor-walkers, there is barely any variety at all. Most walkers, like FFXIII, despite being hated by fans, at least tried to change the scene up at times. Other M takes place entirely in The Bottle Ship. That means hall after hall of the dullest, grayest tunnels your entire playthrough.

* The game is filled with invisible walls. A good game creates natural obstances to tell the player the boundaries that they cannot traverse upon. You might find a single invisible wall (Super Metroid has a single one at the very top of the world), but you won't find them beyond those singular instances. Other M, on the other hand, has invisible walls from the moment you jump off the ship. The very first room has an item just out of reach that an enterprising player should easily be able to bomb bump up to- but the invisible walls make it not so. This is poor design.

* The game has design elements that push it as an action-intensive game, yet at the same time relies on attacks that force the action to stop and completely reorient to shoot a missile.

* The game itself is plagued with game breaking bugs that never should have made it past Nintendo's testing team. Bill Trinen and Sean Egan really dropped the ball on this one. No "good game" should contain elements that a naturally exploring player could encounter on a typical playthrough, yet Other M does.

These are not opinion-based statements. These are bare natural facts I'm stating. The opinion I do have is that these combined elements make Other M a bad game- not just a bad Metroid game, but a bad game in general. You may feel free to disagree, of course, but don't think that I'm trying to be unfair. I didn't include certain elements that are subject to opinion- the story, for instance, or Samus' reliance on men's help. I wanted to keep it to things that were pretty firmly rooted in factual grounding.
#30IAznDragonI YanPosted 12/3/2012 4:40:13 PM
gameplay wise = good
story wise = not so good
---
Tu fui, ego eris
What you are, I was. What I am, you will be.