Is Metroid other M as good as SM: Sunshine?

#31NintatterdemonPosted 12/3/2012 5:40:49 PM
The problem with Samus in Other M is it changes her from a strong woman into some girl with daddy issues that sometimes has a suit of armor. You can't skip the cutscenes and they're stupid long at times. They could've skipped the story entirely and it would've been enjoyable but instead, they made a really bad one and force you to sit through long periods of it.
#32leopoldsharkPosted 12/3/2012 5:50:13 PM
I'll keep this short: if you liked Fusion, you will probably like Other M, assuming you don't care at all about the story. Just prepare to tolerate the cutscenes.
#33leak_manPosted 12/3/2012 5:50:13 PM
Gameplay is brainless auto aim easy mode, and the story has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that Sakamoto is the George Lucas of video games.
---
A rhombus is the kind of rectangle a ***** would draw.
http://i40.tinypic.com/rh6dc1.jpg
#34CHOVI3Posted 12/3/2012 5:51:40 PM
Not really.
---
Please feed the trolls, they make this boards more lively.
3DS FC: 3566-1571-6130 http://myanimelist.net/profile/pacuuuuu3
#35Lord_FroodPosted 12/3/2012 5:53:01 PM
People are just ass-pained because it's not like other Metroid games.
---
You only need to know two things to understand KH: Everyone is Sora, Everything is Xehanort's fault.
http://backloggery.com/Lord_Frood
#36EndgamesDadPosted 12/3/2012 5:58:30 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#37IHeartMetroidPosted 12/3/2012 5:59:26 PM
"People are just ass-pained because it's not like other Metroid games."

I find that to be a pretty offensive statement. I took time and effort to compose what I felt was a pretty cogent bit of reasoning as to why I didn't feel Other M was a good game. How did you get "Just because it's not like other Metroid games" for that? Or do you somehow assume that I'm completely alone in my viewpoint as per this game's faults? You don't think that a multitude of other people feel the exact same way?
#38brainfreeze10Posted 12/3/2012 6:16:19 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...
The people who think Other M is a good game (action game, Metroid game, duck racing game, etc) seem so blinded by the terrible story that they ignore the bad base gameplay elements present.

* The game is linear as heck, and yet at the same time, unlike other linear corridor-walkers, there is barely any variety at all. Most walkers, like FFXIII, despite being hated by fans, at least tried to change the scene up at times. Other M takes place entirely in The Bottle Ship. That means hall after hall of the dullest, grayest tunnels your entire playthrough.

* The game is filled with invisible walls. A good game creates natural obstances to tell the player the boundaries that they cannot traverse upon. You might find a single invisible wall (Super Metroid has a single one at the very top of the world), but you won't find them beyond those singular instances. Other M, on the other hand, has invisible walls from the moment you jump off the ship. The very first room has an item just out of reach that an enterprising player should easily be able to bomb bump up to- but the invisible walls make it not so. This is poor design.

* The game has design elements that push it as an action-intensive game, yet at the same time relies on attacks that force the action to stop and completely reorient to shoot a missile.

* The game itself is plagued with game breaking bugs that never should have made it past Nintendo's testing team. Bill Trinen and Sean Egan really dropped the ball on this one. No "good game" should contain elements that a naturally exploring player could encounter on a typical playthrough, yet Other M does.

These are not opinion-based statements. These are bare natural facts I'm stating. The opinion I do have is that these combined elements make Other M a bad game- not just a bad Metroid game, but a bad game in general. You may feel free to disagree, of course, but don't think that I'm trying to be unfair. I didn't include certain elements that are subject to opinion- the story, for instance, or Samus' reliance on men's help. I wanted to keep it to things that were pretty firmly rooted in factual grounding.

I disagree with a lot of this. Not that it exists, but just your reasoning. Yes the whole game takes place on the bottle ship, but within the bottle ship holographic rooms provide us with sci-fi spaceship, science labs, snow covered mountain, desert, rain forest, grasslands, etc. Technically all in the same ship, but the visual variety is there.

Secondly, while I won't disagree about an abundance of invisible walls, the game gives plenty of reason for it; every themed room you enter is simply a hologram. It's a rectangular box portraying much more than that so, naturally, it still cuts off where the actual room would. Call it lazy design if you'd like but the explanation is there and the rooms wouldn't be any different without them, it'd just be some random tree blocking your path instead of that glitchy wall effect when you jump into the force field.

I personally enjoyed the frantic switch to first person mode as they required exact timing and quick aim in order to hit your target. It added a lot of interesting moments for me. You're free to dislike it, but it's not factually a design flaw.

And lastly, perhaps there were game-breaking bugs, but I never ran into a single one on my whole play through, and only actually heard about one (entering the wrong area at a certain time or something. A huge oversight but heck, Skyward Sword has one of those too. Sometimes they just sneak in).

Honestly, even if that other poster said it not-so-kindly, I think he's right. Your complaint is that this isn't Metroid. And you're right, but as far as I'm concerned it's still a great action game.
---
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!
3DS Friend Code: 1289-8728-7299
#39brainfreeze10Posted 12/3/2012 6:21:05 PM
Nintatterdemon posted...
The problem with Samus in Other M is it changes her from a strong woman into some girl with daddy issues that sometimes has a suit of armor. You can't skip the cutscenes and they're stupid long at times. They could've skipped the story entirely and it would've been enjoyable but instead, they made a really bad one and force you to sit through long periods of it.

You're free to dislike the story but don't start this debate again. Samus was never established as "strong" before because she has no character before. She killed hundreds of aliens without a word. In Other M she still kills hundreds of aliens, this time even more gruesomely than ever, so she's not any weaker than was previously established. I mean, don't get me wrong, the writing for her was not good at all. But the trouble comes from the story being bad on its own, it has nothing to do with inconsistencies in her character. Unless you're just judging her against the idea of her you created in your mind, which isn't exactly a fair criticism to levy against the designers.

leak_man posted...
Gameplay is brainless auto aim easy mode, and the story has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that Sakamoto is the George Lucas of video games.

lol
---
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!
3DS Friend Code: 1289-8728-7299
#40rahxephon122(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 6:34:35 PM
My GameStop is selling them for $8.99. I think I'll definitely pick one up once finals are over.
---
Ich habe keinen Meister bis auf den Wind der Freiheit!