Is Metroid other M as good as SM: Sunshine?

#41COlimar788Posted 12/3/2012 6:36:49 PM
Please just do yourself a favor and don't play Other M. It's not awful but it's hardly good either, and it's a complete disgrace to the Metroid franchise.
---
Twilight Sparkle is best pony.
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7169-9510
#42Mariofan15Posted 12/3/2012 6:38:53 PM
Please just do yourself a favor and don't play Other M. It's not awful but it's hardly good either, and it's a complete disgrace to the Metroid franchise.

Depends on who you ask since everyone who says that is just a whiny fanboy that expected to much.
---
0476-5632-3140:Pokemon White 2
#43COlimar788Posted 12/3/2012 6:53:30 PM
Mariofan15 posted...

Depends on who you ask since everyone who says that is just a whiny fanboy that expected to much.

I wasn't aware that expecting the characterization of the main character to be consistent with the entire previous series was too much. Nor was I aware that expecting a game that didn't render the entirety of Metroid Fusion moot and nonsensical was unreasonable. For that matter, I didn't think that it would be too much to ask for to have a game that was actually well written and as a result didn't come off as dreadfully sexist.

I suppose I must have been incorrect. Who am I to expect a Metroid game to actually, y'know, play like a Metroid game or be consistent with the franchise before it? Or, for that matter, why would I expect Samus Aran to actually be important in a Metroid game? That would be silly, everyone knows Samus has nothing to do with the Metroid series.

To the TC: for less than ten bucks it'd probably a decent thing to try. If nothing else, Other M does have some fun gameplay and nostalgic elements mixed into the remaining cesspool.
---
Twilight Sparkle is best pony.
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7169-9510
#44brainfreeze10Posted 12/3/2012 6:53:48 PM
rahxephon122 posted...
My GameStop is selling them for $8.99. I think I'll definitely pick one up once finals are over.

Good idea. For that price it's definitely worth your time. Hope you like it!
---
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!
3DS Friend Code: 1289-8728-7299
#45Halladay32Posted 12/3/2012 6:54:51 PM
Okay, anyone saying that the only people who don't like Other M are whiny fanboys or people disappointed it's not like other Metroid games, needs to stop -- those are ignorant, incorrect blanket statements with no evidence supporting them, that refuse to address any of the valid criticism some have put forth.
---
"The man's a universe unto himself -- ever expanding and plagued by entropy."
#46chex81Posted 12/3/2012 6:56:44 PM
I thought other m was awesome...sure not as good as super metroid or prime, but still very enjoyable. I also thought sunshine was much better than mario 64
---
gt/psn: chex81
#47MechaNapoleonPosted 12/3/2012 6:57:07 PM
The story of Other M is terrible no doubt, but I had no problem ignoring and/or laughing at it (and at least the CG's are pretty). The game on the other hand, I had very little issues with. The FPS switcheroo is annoying during combat, but is only necessary for some of the few boss fights in the game (not counting out of combat poi/puzzles/investigations, which was fine). Using the dpad in a 3d game is kinda odd at first, but ultimately it works fine.

I'd say its a good game overall, its just not Metroid to some people (though I'd say its more Metroid than Prime, but whatever).

Loved Sunshine as well btw. Another game that seems to be hated more for being different than actual quality of game.

Starfox Adventures on the other hand, eek. Snoozefest.
#48Lord_FroodPosted 12/3/2012 6:57:20 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...
"People are just ass-pained because it's not like other Metroid games."

I find that to be a pretty offensive statement. I took time and effort to compose what I felt was a pretty cogent bit of reasoning as to why I didn't feel Other M was a good game. How did you get "Just because it's not like other Metroid games" for that? Or do you somehow assume that I'm completely alone in my viewpoint as per this game's faults? You don't think that a multitude of other people feel the exact same way?

I apologize for that, honestly, I do. MOST people, however, do feel that way about it. Just like how they didn't like Starfox Adventures because it wasn't like other Starfox games and just like how etc; etc;
---
You only need to know two things to understand KH: Everyone is Sora, Everything is Xehanort's fault.
http://backloggery.com/Lord_Frood
#49Tempest717Posted 12/3/2012 6:58:47 PM
Nope.
---
Official Cherry Garcia of the IDF
Official Lion Tamer of the NDF
#50brainfreeze10Posted 12/3/2012 7:01:54 PM
COlimar788 posted...
Mariofan15 posted...

I wasn't aware that expecting the characterization of the main character to be consistent with the entire previous series was too much. Nor was I aware that expecting a game that didn't render the entirety of Metroid Fusion moot and nonsensical was unreasonable. For that matter, I didn't think that it would be too much to ask for to have a game that was actually well written and as a result didn't come off as dreadfully sexist.

I suppose I must have been incorrect. Who am I to expect a Metroid game to actually, y'know, play like a Metroid game or be consistent with the franchise before it? Or, for that matter, why would I expect Samus Aran to actually be important in a Metroid game? That would be silly, everyone knows Samus has nothing to do with the Metroid series.

To the TC: for less than ten bucks it'd probably a decent thing to try. If nothing else, Other M does have some fun gameplay and nostalgic elements mixed into the remaining cesspool.

Not sexist, not inconsistent character wise. Besides that I agree. People reeeeaaaaally need to stop calling it sexist though.
---
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!
3DS Friend Code: 1289-8728-7299