Is Metroid other M as good as SM: Sunshine?

#51Mr_Bob471Posted 12/3/2012 7:18:05 PM
I guess the best way to describe it is...different. I did enjoy a lot of the gameplay mechanics, but I really could have done without the melodramatic story. Don't get me wrong, if you're into Metroid lore I would certainly pick up the game. The problem is that they REALLY took liberty with the amount of time dedicated to each cutscene. When you beat the game, there's an option to watch all the cutscenes like a feature length movie. That's how much time you'll waste waiting to play.

With that said, again, it IS fun, and for that kind of price I would certainly pick it up.
---
If only I had $5...
#52paralyzed21Posted 12/3/2012 7:18:59 PM
metroid > others

ez
---
http://www.wearethepanicdivision.com | http://www.facebook.com/thepanicdivision
---
#53MasterDarkenPosted 12/3/2012 7:23:21 PM
People only hate on the story cause they think Samus should be Solid Snake's female version. Instead, Nintendo gave her a heart and a brain, and suddenly everyone throws a hissy fit over how well they made her into a REAL character instead of another silent machine. Its the same BS kids tried to say about Fox in Adventures.

I loved Other M inside and out, totally worth the play if you actually enjoy REAL stories outside of "kill this, blow up this, save the world".
#54Tempest717Posted 12/3/2012 7:25:56 PM
MasterDarken posted...
People only hate on the story cause they think Samus should be Solid Snake's female version. Instead, Nintendo gave her a heart and a brain, and suddenly everyone throws a hissy fit over how well they made her into a REAL character instead of another silent machine. Its the same BS kids tried to say about Fox in Adventures.

I loved Other M inside and out, totally worth the play if you actually enjoy REAL stories outside of "kill this, blow up this, save the world".

Wait wut? If anything they took away her brain, she was f***ing stupid in Other M.
---
Official Cherry Garcia of the IDF
Official Lion Tamer of the NDF
#55Cookie_AromaPosted 12/3/2012 7:28:46 PM
The problems with Metroid Other M:

-The story
-Points in the game where you have to look around to find something (find the small trace of green blood hidden in the green grass)
-Very linear
-Where's the music?
-The combat
---Mash the dpad to dodge everything
---Auto-lockon beam cannon
---Clunky 1st person missile firing
-Other gameplay mechanics
---Enemies don't drop any items, so there's little incentive to fight them
---Recharge missiles and life at any time
---Using controller pad to walk around in a 3D world.

Though, for 9 dollars, it's not a bad idea to try it out. You might be able to see past its flaws. I wasn't able to, but you might.

To answer the topic question, no Other M is not nearly as good as Sunshine, because Sunshine is actually a good game (scratch that, it's a superb game).
#56COlimar788Posted 12/3/2012 7:36:58 PM
MasterDarken posted...

Actually, I hate the story of Other M because:

A) There is literally no point for Samus to be involved, and the entire story would have progressed the same way if she wasn't.

B) It contradicts Fusion directly, both in how Samus is portrayed and through how the Galactic Federation is revealed early to be cloning stuff, thus Samus never would have trusted them in Fusion and the revelation that they were cloning Metroids in that game would have been... well, not even close to a revelation.

C) They took Adam, a likeable, if not yet particularly fleshed-out, character from Fusion and made him utterly reprehensible.

D) They made Ridley into a frigging Furby.
---
Twilight Sparkle is best pony.
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7169-9510
#57OtherSuperPhilPosted 12/3/2012 8:10:52 PM
I replayed Sunshine recently, and man, it was not as great as I remembered it. The camera wasn't very good, and I never truly felt totally in control of Mario like I did in 64 and both Galaxy games.
---
Most stupidly overused words on GameFAQs: rehash, shovelware, troll, fanboy, gimmick, casual, hardcore
www.superphillipcentral.com
#58unnamedFerPosted 12/3/2012 8:23:42 PM
Dont have other M but i do have sunshine. It ok, not as good as 64 but sounds probably much better than other M (which i dont have)

Probably the best part of sunshine are the bonus stage where you must platform trough those lego-like environments.
---
http://killer7.6.forumer.com/
#59silenthill4vidPosted 12/3/2012 8:24:09 PM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
Anyone who says Sunshine sucks has terrible taste in video games.

---
splinter cell: blacklist......the latest game series turned generic shooter.
#60IHeartMetroidPosted 12/3/2012 8:29:28 PM
"I disagree with a lot of this."

You are free to disagree. You would be wrong, but you are free to disagree.

What I see you do is a classic fanboy maneuver- you take things wrong with the game and you attempt to make excuses just so that it doesn't seem quite as bad as it is.

Furthermore, the "invisible walls" are everywhere- not just in some holographic room. The very first room that you enter into has an abundance of invisible walls that prevent your progression.

And that's another tactic you've been using as well- you pretend to not comprehend certain terms just so that you can create a false premise with your argument. It's a flawed method of debate and it doesn't work with me.

And this- "Your complaint is that this isn't Metroid. And you're right, but as far as I'm concerned it's still a great action game." is just patently false, and quite frankly is a really, really insulting and baseless accusation to make. The flaws that exist that were mentioned would be aggravating in any game, whatever the franchise is. Game breaking glitches, forced stop-and-stand, invisible walls and bland tunnel running deprecate a game's quality no matter what the franchise is.