Is Metroid other M as good as SM: Sunshine?

#61brainfreeze10Posted 12/3/2012 7:39:17 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...
"I disagree with a lot of this."

You are free to disagree. You would be wrong, but you are free to disagree.

What I see you do is a classic fanboy maneuver- you take things wrong with the game and you attempt to make excuses just so that it doesn't seem quite as bad as it is.

Furthermore, the "invisible walls" are everywhere- not just in some holographic room. The very first room that you enter into has an abundance of invisible walls that prevent your progression.

And that's another tactic you've been using as well- you pretend to not comprehend certain terms just so that you can create a false premise with your argument. It's a flawed method of debate and it doesn't work with me.

And this- "Your complaint is that this isn't Metroid. And you're right, but as far as I'm concerned it's still a great action game." is just patently false, and quite frankly is a really, really insulting and baseless accusation to make. The flaws that exist that were mentioned would be aggravating in any game, whatever the franchise is. Game breaking glitches, forced stop-and-stand, invisible walls and bland tunnel running deprecate a game's quality no matter what the franchise is.

What exactly are you asserting I'm a fanboy of? Other M, the game that I have already levied criticism against in this very topic? For me personally invisible walls, glitches and the FPS mechanic was not at all an issue, which I already explained to you.

Invisible walls are not an issue in any game for me personally as long as they make logical sense. I mean, there wouldn't have been anything past them anyway, it's just lazy art design usually, but for me in this game I liked that it served as a reminder that you were actually on a ship in space and not in this lush environment the room created. I found that interesting. Past those instances though I don't recall it ever being present in an annoying manner. Glitches as well- one well known glitch I made sure to avoid (though once I got there I realized it would have been silly to fall into it anyway) and absolutely no other issue. I believe you if you say that you experienced them but that doesn't make this a wide spread error and I'll need more proof before I attack the game for a complaint I've very rarely heard.

Also, you didn't comment at all on my argument about visual variety and I'm not sure what terms you;re referring to that I "pretended not to understand." I find it funny that you both act offended at my assumptions about you and that another poster didn't give your arguments proper attention, but then when I do respond intelligently you call me a fanboy and don't respond to any of my actual points. Again, you're free to hate the game, it is FAR from perfect, but nothing you said is an objective flaw with it so don't explicitly say it is. It's 100% your opinion and people, such as myself, are free to disagree. That is all.
---
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!
3DS Friend Code: 1289-8728-7299
#62IHeartMetroidPosted 12/3/2012 7:41:58 PM
"What exactly are you asserting I'm a fanboy of? Other M, the game that I have already levied criticism against in this very topic? For me personally invisible walls, glitches and the FPS mechanic was not at all an issue,"

Pff. Now you're just being inflammatory. Pretending that glaring issues don't exist just because you choose to ignore them does not mean they don't exist.

Sorry, I won't play your game. Find yourself someone else to argue with- your flawed debating skills won't win you the day today.
#63strongo9Posted 12/3/2012 8:00:44 PM
pbandjames posted...
I'm pretty sure that it's a good game, it's just a BAD Metroid game.

---
Want Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Rayman Legends, and Bioshock Infinite.
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#64NewavePosted 12/3/2012 8:01:00 PM
rahxephon122 posted...
It seems all I ever read about Other M, Sunshine, and Starfox adventures is that they suck. However, I thoroughly enjoyed Sunshine and Adventures so I'm thinking Other M hate might just be completely blown out of proportion.
The only other Metroid games I've played are Fusion, the original NES, and half of Prime 2.
Is other M worth picking up? (Please don't say "Pick up Xxxxxxxx instead" because I'm specifically asking about M. Also I know this is the wrong board but the Wii U board is full of Sony fanboys so this is the best place to ask for opinions.)

So far Other M is the only 3D Metroid I like, I would most likely have been able to enjoy Prime 3 Corruption if only it could've been played without motion controls.

Sunshine is pretty good as long as it's not in the Galaxy-esque mini-levels, why they chose to use them as the platform for the newer games I have no idea, it's like you find a coin with some vomit on it and you crape of the coin and keep the vomit, it just makes no sense to me.
Sadly, Sunshine was the last Mario game I could enjoy at all.

I haven't played Starfox Adventures but it seems a lot better than the other Starfox games, it's one of the games I'm actually looking for to buy for my GameCube that I haven't found for the right price yet.
---
I have: NES, GB, GBA(3), PSX(5), DC, PS2, PSP(2), GC(2), Wii, XB, XB360
I want: GBP, GBL, GBC, SNES, MD, MCD, 32X, SS, PS3, PSV
#65brainfreeze10Posted 12/3/2012 8:02:14 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...
"What exactly are you asserting I'm a fanboy of? Other M, the game that I have already levied criticism against in this very topic? For me personally invisible walls, glitches and the FPS mechanic was not at all an issue,"

Pff. Now you're just being inflammatory. Pretending that glaring issues don't exist just because you choose to ignore them does not mean they don't exist.

Sorry, I won't play your game. Find yourself someone else to argue with- your flawed debating skills won't win you the day today.

lol ok, nice talking to you then.
---
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!
3DS Friend Code: 1289-8728-7299
#66Holoogamooga_Posted 12/3/2012 8:14:40 PM
Other M was a fine game in its own right. It was entertaining enough to be worth the $8 I paid for it. As was said earlier, the gameplay is done pretty well (for an action game, even if not a Metroid game), but the story and dialog are awful.
#67coconutarmy1Posted 12/3/2012 8:44:58 PM
They are very different. Comparison is pretty darn hard to do. I found myself smiling and going "this is intense" more in sunshine, honestly.
---
Currently commanding a platoon of coconuts. Slow work, but very fulfilling.
#68VyersPosted 12/3/2012 8:56:40 PM
I can't understand how anyone could say that Samus' character in Other M isn't inconsistent. That's totally insane to me. She factually acts inconsistently. She, for the first and only time, could not handle Ridley. People try and excuse this by claiming that this is the first time she saw Ridley since she completely blew up Zebes, but Ridley had been killed before. If she is so emotionally fragile that she couldn't even face Ridley the first time she saw him in Other M, then there is no way she would be able to logically think to herself that since she didn't completely vaporize Ridley, he could have still come back.

That one scene ruined Samus.

Anyway.

Super Mario Sunshine is not only better, it's a great game.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Blog: http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=6123776 / YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear
#69VideoGamer1990Posted 12/3/2012 10:28:53 PM
Vyers posted...
I can't understand how anyone could say that Samus' character in Other M isn't inconsistent. That's totally insane to me. She factually acts inconsistently. She, for the first and only time, could not handle Ridley. People try and excuse this by claiming that this is the first time she saw Ridley since she completely blew up Zebes, but Ridley had been killed before. If she is so emotionally fragile that she couldn't even face Ridley the first time she saw him in Other M, then there is no way she would be able to logically think to herself that since she didn't completely vaporize Ridley, he could have still come back.

That one scene ruined Samus.

Anyway.

Super Mario Sunshine is not only better, it's a great game.

To be very honest, it's not the first time she did nothing until Ridley does the first attack.

Metroid Zero Mission: *Ridley appears* *Samus has sudden fear in her eyes* *doesn't do anything till Ridley charges head-on at her* *gameplay takes over*

Metroid Prime: *first time Meta-Ridley appears* *Samus does nothing* *Meta-Ridley destoys part of the station, causing the station to start self-destructing* *Meta-Ridley appears 2nd time* *Samus does nothing until Meta-Ridley destroys the middle pillar and fires a couple fireballs at her while she's standing still* *gameplay takes over*

Metroid Prime 3: *first time Meta-Ridley appears, flying over her* *does not attack her* *Samus sees Ridley flying* *3rd time Meta-Ridley appears* *attempts to shoot Ridley, but keeps missing until Ridley takers her down with him to the tunnel*
*Omega Ridley appears* *Samus does nothing* *Omega Ridley lands while Samus jumps back* *Samus still does nothing until Omega Ridley attempts to take a bite out of her, which she barely dodges* *gameplay takes over*

Super Metroid: *Ridley appears* *gameplay takes over* *Samus either gets defeated or manages to push back Ridley, but due to gameplay mechanics, it's unconfirmed what actually happens* *2nd time Ridley appears* *gameplay takes over* *Ridley dies before Samus' eyes*

Other M: *Ridley appears* *Samus does nothing until Ridley attacks her first and grabs her* *Samus attempts to fight back while Ridley is holding her*

Not exactly defending Other M, but it really isn't the first time she did nothing until Ridley did the first attack, after which she starts fighting back.
Either way, she still defeats Ridley each time, even Other M(even though he wasn't confirmed to be dead after being defeated in Prime, his first batte in Super Metroid ends up either way and Samus thought he was dead in Other M until he got back up and retreated), so even if a future Metroid game made more sense of the Ridley scene in Other M & brought back Ridley again, he will still be defeated by Samus, even if she suffers another attack. Killed, who knows, but defeated, 99.9% likely.
---
Not changing this sig until Breath of Fire VI gets announced.
Breath of Fire needs to stop resting and start waking up. People who agree: 49
#70LinkMaster2703Posted 12/3/2012 10:35:54 PM
It's all personal preference. I actually quite enjoyed Other M, while I couldn't even bring myself to finish Super Mario Sunshine.
---
Currently Playing: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (3DS), Nintendo Land (Wii U), Jet Set Radio (Vita)
http://psnprofiles.com/C_Dalke