Is Metroid other M as good as SM: Sunshine?

#71VyersPosted 12/3/2012 10:38:39 PM
Other M had Samus break down. Seriously brah, there's a difference between shock and "OMG I'M GOING TO BE KILLED, HOW WILL I EVER DO WHAT I DID MANY TIMES OVER?", y'know?
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Blog: http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=6123776 / YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear
#72VideoGamer1990Posted 12/3/2012 11:17:48 PM(edited)
Vyers posted...
Other M had Samus break down. Seriously brah, there's a difference between shock and "OMG I'M GOING TO BE KILLED, HOW WILL I EVER DO WHAT I DID MANY TIMES OVER?", y'know?

*re-watches Ridley scene* *listens for sounds of "I CAN'T DO IT! I'M GOING TO DIE."* *does not hear any*

What I heard and saw was, "RIDLEY!........*child version appears tearing up*...*tearing stops when it reverts back to adult Samus, where heavy breathing is heard*......NO! *Adam tries speaking to her, asking for status* IT CAN'T BE!" After that, the only thing she said after she gets back onto the platform was, "Anthony! Don't do it!" *Anthony gets knocked off* Anthony! *Ridley appears in front of her* *gameplay starts* *after gameplay bit, defeats Ridley*

While it wouldn't really make sense after Corruption, if Sakamoto's "No Primes allowed" rule kicked in and Samus only just saw Ridley die before her eyes after her battle against him in Super Metroid and never saw him die in Zero Mission, then the "It Can't Be!" bit does make sense since at the time, since if you saw your nemesis Actually die before your eyes, you got to wonder how he's still alive.

Anyway, not trying to cause an all-out argument here, but after seeing the Ridley scene in Other M, I honestly believe people really over-exaggerate that scene. Might have done a bit less damage to the fans if she dodged the grab the first time, then got grabbed the second attempt, but still, it wouldn't really be that hard to implement her little shock-break in the other games, especially the Prime games where she had plenty of time to get her act together before fighting.
---
Not changing this sig until Breath of Fire VI gets announced.
Breath of Fire needs to stop resting and start waking up. People who agree: 49
#73SMASHKING84Posted 12/3/2012 11:54:49 PM
people call it bad because they think samus should have absolutely no emotions.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:3
unless i state otherwise everything i say is MY opinion.
#74VyersPosted 12/3/2012 11:57:22 PM
SMASHKING: A character without emotion is superior to a character whose emotions are poorly written.
---
Blog: http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=6123776 / YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear
#75VyersPosted 12/3/2012 11:59:17 PM
And VideoGamer, that seems like a lot of line-moving by fans (not necessarily you). Assuming that Metroid Prime is not canon, and that she never saw Ridley truly die, is a bit of a stretch.
---
#76IHeartMetroidPosted 12/4/2012 12:27:39 AM
"Assuming that Metroid Prime is not canon"

I'd rather assume that Other M isn't canon. :P

Actually, someone I can recall at one point had the hypothesis that the Samus we see in Other M isn't actually the real Samus, persay, but one of the fake Samuses we see every once in a while from time to time in the series. It would make more sense- if it were a clone Samus with barely anything but her own fragmented memories, then the first time she sees Ridley, having no real combat experience it would be realistic that she wouldn't know how to react and would break down. And her vague recollections we see of Adam would unlock why she has the fanatical devotion to him as well.

So Other M could take place while the real Samus is flitting around having Metroid Prime adventures.
#77VideoGamer1990Posted 12/4/2012 12:51:33 AM(edited)
Vyers posted...
And VideoGamer, that seems like a lot of line-moving by fans (not necessarily you). Assuming that Metroid Prime is not canon, and that she never saw Ridley truly die, is a bit of a stretch.

True. When it comes for gameplay to make the answers, it tends to be either one way or the other or the sequel answers the question. With Super Metroid, she was either defeated by Ridley or manages to make him retreat. The way Other M portrays her, it wouldn't be surprising to say she was defeated the first time, got over her little thing after losing the Metroid baby, then defeated him the second time, witnessing his death.
Still, the Ridley scene was honestly not that bad that alot of people made it to be. When I was first about to watch the scene, I was expecting the "I'M Going to die" bits to pop up, yet they didn't show up. It's like with scenes that alot of people tend to act as if they are super-special awesome, the way they go, "OMG SO AWESOMELY EPIC FTW", yet after I watch it, I tend to mostly answer with a "..........K." Sometimes I do get impressed, but it's usually with a "Huh. Interesting."

But the Ridley scene, while not horrible, still could've been worked on. Something like Samus after saying "It can't be!" then later says, "I saw you die for good!" followed by a flashback showing Samus watching Ridley actually dying in the acid where Samus and Ridley fought in Super Metroid. After Anthony calls out to her, she manages to dodge the first swipe, but gets hit by the tail and caught by him anyhow. After that, she, like she does in the game, attempts to escape Ridley's grasp. After Anthony calls out again, Samus attempts to shoot Ridley in the head, but he flys before she gets a chance to shoot and then the rest of the scene happens. At least, that's how I imagine might have reduced the amount of impact it had on the fans.

But yeah, don't try to call me a fan first thing. While I play alot of different games, including Metroid, I'm not exactly what you would call a "fan", even after playing some games and watching video walkthroughs of others I may never get to play. Like even though I've definitely kept up to what happens in the Metroid games and played and liked some of them, I wouldn't really call myself a fan, since I don't pay attention to them much unless I'm in a mood for certain games/series.
While it doesn't mean I don't try to do my research with games and stuff(and I tend to do lots of research to the point of even getting a couple nightmares from time to time), I usually never proclaim myself a fan unless it's a game I play so much that even I know it's fun for me, like Kirby Air Ride, Custom Robo, Shining Force I & II, and Especially Kirby Super Star(which I've probably beaten more then every game I've beaten combined and that's a whole lot of games).

Basically, when it comes to being a fan of something, it has to be something that gets to me everytime I think of it and see it. Otherwise, watching a longplay video of a game I like or playing another new game of a game I liked depends on my mood. Think of it like this. When in the mood, I'm like a "fan", but when I'm not in the mood, the "fan" disappears for the moment.
Also, advance warning. You'll never see a "hater" or "fanboy" mood coming from me. It might be the internet, but at least I can respect that some people don't like some things. While I may sometimes try to make things "sound better or less bad", at least I don't "persist to the ends of earth" to try and change someone's opinion.

Sorry for long posts. That's a big habit that I've been wanting to get rid of for a while now.
---
Not changing this sig until Breath of Fire VI gets announced.
Breath of Fire needs to stop resting and start waking up. People who agree: 49
#78AceMosPosted 12/4/2012 1:45:16 AM
the problem is if the manga is canon (which is the only place to even learn about samus past) then we also have to use the manga sceen where samus shows she no longer fears ridley and beats him in 3 shots while mocking him

she gets over her fear of ridley in the manga

she did not fight back against ridley untill anthony saved her in other M which is pure BS

hell samus acomplishes nothing in the game all major problems are resolved by other characters samus is a back ground char in her own game

this game is sexist garbage any 1 who cant see that is blind

no thats not an opion this game is sexist that is a 100% fact
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#79IHeartMetroidPosted 12/4/2012 1:50:07 AM
"the problem is if the manga is canon (which is the only place to even learn about samus past) then we also have to use the manga sceen where samus shows she no longer fears ridley and beats him in 3 shots while mocking him"

Unless the Samus in Other M isn't the REAL Samus. Nintendo never said what Dark Samus was up to in between Primes, hmmmmmmm?
#80AceMosPosted 12/4/2012 2:00:30 AM
IHeartMetroid posted...
"the problem is if the manga is canon (which is the only place to even learn about samus past) then we also have to use the manga sceen where samus shows she no longer fears ridley and beats him in 3 shots while mocking him"

Unless the Samus in Other M isn't the REAL Samus. Nintendo never said what Dark Samus was up to in between Primes, hmmmmmmm?

sadly all the prime games take place between metroid 1 and 2

other m is after super but before fusion
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*